Who knows about air guns/rifles?

NinjaN8

My son's 12th birthday is coming up and I figure he's at a good age to start learning the basics of marksmanship. With that in mind, I'm in the market for a decent air gun or rifle for under or around $50. I'm just not sure what to look for. Any ideas?

I has a Crosman powermaster 760 when I was about 10.

I see this model at Dick's Sporting goods for around $30.

I have not kept up with the newer manufactures, but back in the day the 2 main players were Crosman vs Daisy.

The one possible drawback to the Crosman 760 is that you have to pump the forearm each time prior to firing since it is airpowered. 10 pumps max.

The entry level Daisy is spring loaded, "lever" action.

I has a Crosman powermaster 760 when I was about 10.

I see this model at Dick's Sporting goods for around $30.

I have not kept up with the newer manufactures, but back in the day the 2 main players were Crosman vs Daisy.

The one possible drawback to the Crosman 760 is that you have to pump the forearm each time prior to firing since it is airpowered. 10 pumps max.

The entry level Daisy is spring loaded, "lever" action.

I still have a Crossman 760 hangin in my garage. I had the same gun when I was a kid but

the one I had back then was all steel and heavy, the one I have now is mostly plastic :nono:

This is the second thread started about bb/air guns recently, makes me realize I haven't

fired that thing in years, I'm gonna need to go kill me some birds, I mean setup some cans and bottles ;)

For a first airgun, I think I would stay away from the CO2 powered canister types. It was not much fun when the canisters ran low.

Back to the Crosman 760, for right about $50, there is the rifle/scope package.

pDSP1-7240375p275w.jpg

Another vote for the 760. I had one growing up and its pretty good for the price. Somehow mine went missing in the past couple of years, so I went and bought another on Sunday to wage a mini-war against this freakin woodpecker that keeps waking me up prematurely for the past week.

Airsoft or BB? if airsoft theyre everywhere for under $50, but BB guns you have two types, pump and CO2, i personally like CO2 better because im not spending the majority of the time pumping it. although if you get CO2 you will be going through a lot of cartriges. but still bb guns are still around cheap, i persoanally like crossman though.

I had the 760.. still do.. actually just had it out a few weeks ago. taugh my girl to shoot it. she cant pump it the required 10 times though haha. had a shooting match against my father and his new air rifle. we were shooting at about 40 ft. and i held my own for sure. he was impressed when i put multiple shots through his same hole in the cans..

If he is 12 a single shot .22lr might be good to train with also? Just a thought. I started my oldest out at age 8 on a rossi single shot 22/20ga combo. He has been shooting for two years now and is a very good shot.

I'd LOVE to get a .22 but, I'm getting this for the backyard in a residential neighborhood.