Lawmakers, police argue over need for front license plate

chevysoldier

Do we need a front plate...?

Ohio has required a front plate since 1908, except for 1944-46 when Ohio wanted to conserve steel for the war effort, according to Bureau of Motor Vehicle officials.

The idea of getting rid of the front plate comes up regularly in the General Assembly. The Legislative Service Commission estimates that eliminating the front plate would save the state up to $1.65 million a year in production and distribution costs.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/springfield-news/lawmakers-police-argue-over-need-for-front-license-plate-1173113.html

Rear-ended someone? Simply back away until you're out of reading range then turn around and drive away.

I like the front plate. If they want to plug that 1.65m hole then just drop the subsidy and charge the actual price for the plates.

I want British plates. You can read them from 2x the distance of US plates.

I don't have a front plate on my truck. I bought it in Michigan, and it didn't have the plate bracket/holder. I've been too lazy and cheap to buy the holder. I got pulled over a few weeks ago and the police officer didn't say anything about it, and yes he saw the front of my truck first then pulled me up for speeding...let me off with a warning.

I don't think it makes a difference at all having a front plate. I can't think of a time I, or anyone I know, was pulled over head on where the front plate would/could be read.

If a bunch of other states don't see a need for it or require it, why does Slohio? Most of them get backed into by someone's trailer hitch or fall off in the car wash anyway. Emissions testing in some counties I guess is understandable but a front plate law?

didnt have them on my stang and never got hassled - i got pulled over plenty

didnt have them on the saab either

my girl got a ticket in newark though for no front plate - she had hers in the window because the bumper was jacked up on her car...lame

Have three vehicles currently and not a one with a front plate. Been pulled over a few times and never a peep. They are not concerned over no front plates. A local city cop in a small town? Maybe...

I haven't run a front plate since college...

i usually keep the plate in the front window because i cant stand how dumb it looks on the bumper but here lately my friends have been getting $120 tix from north ridgeville cops so i zip tied mine onto the mesh part of the bumper as far off to the side as i could, it still looks better than having it square in the middle of the grill.

i usually keep the plate in the front window because i cant stand how dumb it looks on the bumper but here lately my friends have been getting $120 tix from north ridgeville cops so i zip tied mine onto the mesh part of the bumper as far off to the side as i could, it still looks better than having it square in the middle of the grill.

I grew up in N.R. and so did my parents, the older cops were cool old drunks and womanizers, the cops I grew up with were pretty cool and understood what was real and what didn't matter. This little crop of jack booted pricks they have now just makes me want to punch them all in the face. I no longer stop for them when on my bike and do nothing in the car to draw their attention. I have came very close several times to letting them hit me on the bike just to prove a point but figured out that not riding in town at all was going to keep me out of trouble much better.

:nono: Kids. This entire post of your'e does not surprise me at all, especially the part about a front plate looking dumb, as though a plate stuck in the front window looks any better... And zip tying it to the mesh, I'm gonna guess that mesh adds 25 HP, right? :lol:

/rant about kids these days.

I grew up in N.R. and so did my parents, the older cops were cool old drunks and womanizers, the cops I grew up with were pretty cool and understood what was real and what didn't matter. This little crop of jack booted pricks they have now just makes me want to punch them all in the face. I no longer stop for them when on my bike and do nothing in the car to draw their attention. I have came very close several times to letting them hit me on the bike just to prove a point but figured out that not riding in town at all was going to keep me out of trouble much better.

Getting old in your wise age, are you? :D

I like the front plate. If they want to plug that 1.65m hole then just drop the subsidy and charge the actual price for the plates.

^this

I agree, just charge whatever it costs for the plates. No, I don't think front plates look nice, but it does help catch criminals. At worst, charge at cost and allow us to take it as a tax deduction and people will get over it.

:nono: Kids. This entire post of your'e does not surprise me at all, especially the part about a front plate looking dumb, as though a plate stuck in the front window looks any better... And zip tying it to the mesh, I'm gonna guess that mesh adds 25 HP, right? :lol:

/rant about kids these days.

you tell me what looks better...

before

9eeb6e32.jpg

after

0f472087.jpg

its way cleaner with the plate off, im not a "ricer" like you think i am, i just prefer a clean car over one with a bunch of un-needed shit on it which is why i also take off all the dealer stickers and emblems. if the mazda logo was not molded into the bumper i would take that off too lol

Edited by JStump

I vote for front plates for motorcycles! Now THAT would be interesting. gb_tv2003.jpg

Been in the LE business for quite some time and my thought is whatever the state decides doesn't make that big of a difference to a motivated cop. I was an officer in Texas years ago and they changed the vehicle registration from the rear plate to the front window (like in New York and New Jersey), but still kept the front plate. We all whined and moaned about how the number of stops for expired registration would go down, but after a while, we adapted to it. In as far as the catching criminals, if I'm looking for a suspect vehicle and it's near the area it was reported in, the chances of another like vehicle around will be minimal, so I better start making the u-turn at that point.

Edited by jerben