Lawmakers, police argue over need for front license plate

chevysoldier

Why the hell would I support something that makes it easier for the police to ticket me? :dunno:

Not having it no your car will make it easier for an officer to ticket you. It is an equipment violation and reason for them to pull you over.

Speculation.

It is not speculation within my insurance company. Clearly states that UM only kicks in if I give them a plate number. Black and white.

When you make a claim, your risk your rates going up. That's a universal truth in insurance. What company doesn't retain the option of raising rates in response to claims?

Check your own UM policy or ask your agent if UM kicks in even without the offending plate number.

fuck everything you just said.

the day they start putting black boxes in all cars is the day i never buy another newer car again.

i will not have big brother tracking my every movement while im driving, especially not voluntarily. fuck that.

i wouldnt even buy some newer GM cars because the onstar cant be removed (the hardware) without other stuff in the car being affected

They have been around for years.

They have been around for years.

i know this. but not every car has it, and i wont buy one that will.

i drive an 01 f250 right now...it doesnt even have anti-theft in it, you can literally pull the cover off under the steering wheel and push a little pin forward to start it, no key, no computer chip, no nothing....i like to keep it simple

I have a front plate on both of my cars. I was commenting on future legislation. Try to keep up. :)

Ah, I see you "TOWING" line police line there. Don't agree with them but doing what they say. You should be ashamed. ;)

I ran with no front plate for a few months after the bracket was knocked off the car in a hit/skip. Eventually bought a new bracket.

I took both plates off one car for a respray and accidentally put the front plate ont he back of the car, so I drove around for 11 months with no county or validation stickers until time came to put the new one on and... hey.. where's my old sticker??

Didn't see it. Can't keep up with all the squirming. :D

You're lucky. Not everyone is.

who's squirming? I don't like front plates but it doesn't really effect me other than to say fuck front plates and to combat the "we cant catch bad guys with no front plate" BS

I could give a shit because I don't own a car anymore. I have my truck which is ugly anyway so it has the plate and it doesn't bother me. I ran no front plate on all but 1 of all my cars and thats because it was a POS 88 Cutlass I only drove for 9 months and I was 16

who's squirming? I don't like front plates but it doesn't really effect me other than to say fuck front plates and to combat the "we cant catch bad guys with no front plate" BS

I could give a shit because I don't own a car anymore. I have my truck which is ugly anyway so it has the plate and it doesn't bother me. I ran no front plate on all but 1 of all my cars and thats because it was a POS 88 Cutlass I only drove for 9 months and I was 16

Could NOT give a shit.

Could NOT care less.

;)

I've done that' date=' except for the "repaint" part. I guess you're as dumb as I am.[/quote']

:cheers: Common ground! Here endeth the war.

Srsly, gotta get back to work. These black boxes don't make themselves.

I did the snapshot thing from Progressive... dropped my rates 30%. I don't drive my cage in a manner I'd be worried if I was being observed -- I'm still against it on premise, but I really have nothing to hide and cheaper insurance means more money in my pocket.

Besides, they say they aren't collecting speed data or location -- just mileage, engine "ON" time, and deceleration rate (e.g. 'hard brakes'). [Or so you're told, I'm not as naive to think they didn't collect more than that, but I wasn't worried about it]. Now, that still never stopped people from cutting ME off and me getting the thing beeping at me for a hard brake event, nor would it be able to differentiate whether I was onroad or offroad -- I shouldn't be penalized for a hard brake if I'm in my driveway or in a farmfield somewhere.

Either way, I saved a bunch of cash on my car insurance.

Regarding the 'black boxes' -- automakers have been putting EDR's on cars since the OBDII standard came online (approx 1996), and some maybe before that in order to study crash data to make cars safer, and to CYA themselves against litigious Americans. So, you are being "observed" whether you like it or not -- the data is there, it's whether they want access to it.

/*back to the scheduled discussion

If front plates help catch criminals they should require side plates too.

Retard logic prevails. I don't like the idea of the po po having little electronic plate readers mounted on their cruisers either.

If it doesn't matter to you then put one on. It does make a difference to us. A front plate makes it possible to locate stolen vehicles and arrest the thieves without being behind them. Every day, you are driving among rapists, murderers, dope dealers,...etc. Front tags make it possible to locate these people without having to "flip" on every vehicle that matches the description of a vehicle that the bad guy drives. An officer is not required to write a ticket for not having a front tag (or any violation for that matter), but it does give us the automatic ability to stop, ticket, and arrest (if necessary) if you don't have one. I haven't written a no front tag ticket since I was ordered to on coaching, but I have made several stops and arrests for not having one.

I'm curious...having a front plate makes it possible to locate people without having to 'flip' on every vehicle? Hhhmmm...when you get your BOLO popping up on your computer screen, don't you have more than just a plate number? Given this, do you not instinctually pick out vehicles matching the description by their year, make, model, and color FIRST? Then you might start looking at a plate once a generally matching one is found.

It's like getting a BOLO on a person. Sure you have their name, but do you go around asking every person you see their name or make them all show you their ID? No, you start by matching the easiest things to narrow down your search first. Sex, weight, appearance, features, etc. The same goes for vehicles, does it not?

I'm not exactly buying into the thought that front plates really help with catching rapists, murderers, etc.

Just sayin'.

My wifes car never had front plates until recently. She had been pulled over with it off and the cops never said anything about it. Park on a meter tho, those fucking meter maids will write you a ticket for that shit every time. She got 2 tickets from meter maids and put it back on.

simple way to end this argument:

"we need to cut $xx,xxx,xxx next year, and we'd like the police to decide whether or not that money should come out of front license plates, or by laying off law enforcement officers."

if they collect more in tickets than it costs to make the front plates though, the argument quickly falls apart. Traffic citations are a MAJOR source of city income. Think about how many $35 parking tickets a meter maid can write in an hour. Then consider how much they get paid. I'm betting it's $25/hour for supervisors, which is still too much, but my point is that the city profits even if the meter maid does jack shit all day and writes 1 ticket an hour.

it does help catch criminals.

and do you have ANY empirical evidence to back up this statement?

If it doesn't matter to you then put one on. It does make a difference to us. A front plate makes it possible to locate stolen vehicles and arrest the thieves without being behind them. Every day, you are driving among rapists, murderers, dope dealers,...etc. Front tags make it possible to locate these people without having to "flip" on every vehicle that matches the description of a vehicle that the bad guy drives.

really? so what happens in the states like georgia or michigan where you dont have to have one?

is there any empirical evidence that front plates help catch more criminals, or is it just your opinion?