Funeral étiquette?

JStump

I was riding to this chicks house today and on my way I ran into a 15 car funeral precession on the highway. It was a 3 lane divided highway (or do you call it a 6 lane?) and they were on the middle lane going like 55mph when the speed limit is 65. Everyone was slowing down which I understood but most of the people were also just staying behind them and creating a traffic jam. I slowed down from like 80 to 60 and got into the left lane and slowly passed the whole precession and then once I was past the front car I got back up to 80 and continued my ride. There was only 1 other person that I saw who passed them also which made me wonder if I was in the wrong for passing, I mean I can justify it as people have places to go and creating a traffic jam on a 3 lane highway does not sound like a good idea. On a regular undivided 2 lane road I always stay back or find a side road to take to get in front but what happened today I thought was ok. What do you think?

Edited by JStump

If you're not holding them up, ie trying to turn ahead of them, weaving in and out of them, or otherwise being a jerk.. you should be fine!

I can understand how folks might find it "disrespectful" to pass a procession I certainly don't.

No dude, nude pics. WTF is that, just a creeper status pic.

One thing I will say, if I come upon a 2 lane road, 1 lane each direction, and there is a funeral coming at me, I pull over and stop. I know a lot of people will flame on here, but when my gpa died, it meant a lot to my family, and I know it meant a lot to me. I personally think this is how it used to be and how it still should be, but whatever floats everyones boat.

If it is a multi lane 1 direction lane, highway, middle lane, etc. then yes, I slow, and will pass, but I do acknowledge them mentally and always make mental note.

So did you hit it?

• Upvote 1

No dude, nude pics. WTF is that, just a creeper status pic.

One thing I will say, if I come upon a 2 lane road, 1 lane each direction, and there is a funeral coming at me, I pull over and stop. I know a lot of people will flame on here, but when my gpa died, it meant a lot to my family, and I know it meant a lot to me. I personally think this is how it used to be and how it still should be, but whatever floats everyones boat.

If it is a multi lane 1 direction lane, highway, middle lane, etc. then yes, I slow, and will pass, but I do acknowledge them mentally and always make mental note.

So did you hit it?

no, those stay on my phone and or in a hidden file on the comp, dont want chicks trolling my computer and finding shit lol

i pull over when they are going the other way cuz it is only for a few seconds anyways and when my grandma died in february it was nice to see people doing that

and yes, hence the reason i didnt want to stay behind them lol

Edited by JStump

One thing I will say, if I come upon a 2 lane road, 1 lane each direction, and there is a funeral coming at me, I pull over and stop. I know a lot of people will flame on here

Yeah, that kinda pisses me off. I'm that guy going around you.

if I come upon a 2 lane road, 1 lane each direction, and there is a funeral coming at me, I pull over and stop.

I do the same. I rode in a funeral procession a couple months ago, and the LEO leading was flagging the people in the opposite direction on, to keep them going, which I found to be odd.

So did you hit it?

This is necessary information for the discussion at hand.

4511.451 Right-of way of funeral vehicle.

(A) As used in this section, “funeral procession” means two or more vehicles accompanying the cremated remains or the body of a deceased person in the daytime when each of the vehicles has its headlights lighted and is displaying a purple and white or an orange and white pennant attached to each vehicle in such a manner as to be clearly visible to traffic approaching from any direction.

(B) Excepting public safety vehicles proceeding in accordance with section 4511.45 of the Revised Code or when directed otherwise by a police officer, pedestrians and the operators of all vehicles, street cars, and trackless trolleys shall yield the right of way to each vehicle that is a part of a funeral procession. Whenever the lead vehicle in a funeral procession lawfully enters an intersection, the remainder of the vehicles in the procession may continue to follow the lead vehicle through the intersection notwithstanding any traffic control devices or right of way provisions of the Revised Code, provided that the operator of each vehicle exercises due care to avoid colliding with any other vehicle or pedestrian.

© No person shall operate any vehicle as a part of a funeral procession without having the headlights of the vehicle lighted and without displaying a purple and white or an orange and white pennant in such a manner as to be clearly visible to traffic approaching from any direction.

(D) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 10-12-2006

Yielding the right of way does not mean getting off the road or not passing someone. It means yielding to them.

That's how I take it, I was just curious how LEO's treat it. As I understand it, what the OP did is perfectly legal. Which brings us right back to it being an etiquette issue, which is pretty much opinion.

In English officer? :D

To me, that doesn't really clarify the discussion at hand, other than to say that it's not clearly stated in the ORC for the situations we're discussing.

It means yield right away to the group as a whole at intersections and whatnot. It doesn't mean pull over on the other side of the road or hesitate to pass them as a group on the freeway.

In English officer? :D

To me, that doesn't really clarify the discussion at hand, other than to say that it's not clearly stated in the ORC for the situations we're discussing.

Yielding the right of way does not mean getting off the road or not passing someone. It means yielding to them.

If you were to get a ticket for failure to yield, you would have received a ticket for not allowing another vehicle to pass you unrestricted. The vehicle that you are yielding to (getting out of the way of) has the right of way.

Thinking back, I wish a LEO would have been around for a family members funeral a few years ago. We were on a limited access highway, taking the off-ramp when another car cuts into the procession. Very disrespectful, and from what I've read here THAT would be illegal. I don't wish vengeance on them, just for them to have been stopped and "encouraged" to think about what they had done.