2000 Suzuki ozark 250 POS choke question

Gump

I hate Suzuki.

Anyway trying to fix up my families quad. Is anyone familiar with how the choke works? I think the cable just opens and closes a fuel port to allow mor fuel to be dumped in or something. A normal carb just has a darn butterfly. This thing the butterfly is the throttle and the cylinder shaped thing in the carb that normally Is the throttle just self regulates or something. My issue is it runs the same choke on or off so I'm not sure it's actually working. O, and it has a genius vac operated petcock which has a setting of on, reserve, or prime, which is really just on. Why did they waste their time designing that?

Prime is for when the tank has been drained or run out of gas. When you put gas in the tank it allows gas to run into the bowl without having to crank the motor over for several seconds trying to get fuel to the carb.

If it is set up like I think, there is a fitting where the choke cable goes in the carb, it is like a 10 mm or so, remove it and see if the spring on that end of the cable has broken. Sometimes they will break and allow the cable to slide out of the choke plunger. The spring goes on the cable then the ball into the plunger and then the spring holds them together.

The throttle cable runs your butterfly and as it allows more air into the system, vacuum opens the slide allowing more fuel into the system. It is very simular to the carb on the GZ250.

Edited by bandit12

Thanks. I'll check out the spring.

As far as suzuki's quads go they suck in my opinion, at least compared to Honda. We have a 250 Honda and the Suzuki. Same age ridden the same and the suzuki is a pos. Broken spindle, cheaply made, brake failures, bearing failures, plastic falls apart, et cetera. They're just not in the same class as Honda. Poorly built design.