Aftermarket slipper clutch?

JStump

So I was talking to my boss today who has been riding for quite a while and he was telling me all the things he wants in his next bike and one of the things was a slipper clutch, well I did some research on what it was and now I want one because I when I'm going around corners I use second gear but then the RPMS are too low and it kinda bogs till it hits 4K but when I go into first I get the power I want but even with rev matching I hop the back tire unless I slow way down. Can you get a slipper clutch for my bike and how much would one of those cost?

Learn to ride what you have. I do not have a slipper clutch and never have had that problem. Release the clutch slooowwly and you will get no wheel hop even with large RPM differences or atleast I havent....

So I was talking to my boss today who has been riding for quite a while and he was telling me all the things he wants in his next bike and one of the things was a slipper clutch, well I did some research on what it was and now I want one because I when I'm going around corners I use second gear but then the RPMS are too low and it kinda bogs till it hits 4K but when I go into first I get the power I want but even with rev matching I hop the back tire unless I slow way down. Can you get a slipper clutch for my bike and how much would one of those cost?

Please don't think I'm criticizing,

Triumphs run rich and thrive at higher RPMs. Most Triumphs don't even hit their power band until around 5500. Triumphs are notorious for running pig rich. My TT doesn't like low RPMs for extended periods. The Daytonas have a much better fuel mapping since the old TT days but they still run better when the RPMs are up. If its bogging around turns then be in a lower gear and use more throttle. Daytona is a wet clutch ( I believe ), let it out slower you won't hurt it

Edited by Jamez

I'm sure they make one for it. Your going to pay a ton of money for it and really don't need it for street use. If you rev match the tire will not hop unless you don't get it right. Just keep up the practice and save the $800.

try over a grand.

http://www.hardracing.com/STM.htm

Edited by serpentracer

Please don't think I'm criticizing,

Triumphs run rich and thrive at higher RPMs. Most Triumphs don't even hit their power band until around 5500. Triumphs are notorious for running pig rich. My TT doesn't like low RPMs for extended periods. The Daytonas have a much better fuel mapping since the old TT days but they still run better when the RPMs are up. If its bogging around turns then be in a lower gear and use more throttle. Daytona is a wet clutch ( I believe ), let it out slower you won't hurt it

yeah, i have noticed it doesnt really like to be under 4k and until it gets to 6500 you can feel it hesitating, this thing REALLY likes to be reved

There is no reason for a slipper clutch on a 600. Learn how to use it properly instead of looking for a crutch. Also you should be well above 4k rpm. I run 8k or better in the corners.

damn, didnt know it would be that much, and i do about 4k in 2nd and 6k in first, i must not take corners as fast as you do.

What rpm you do in a certain gear means nothing and how fast you are going means nothing. The point is to ride by rpms not gear or speed. When you are setting up for a section of twisties or a corner whatever....be in whatever gear that has your rpms atleast at 7000.

Um, isn't red line on the Daytona around 15,500? Why on this planet would you be shifting out of 1st at 6k when taking turns?

You don't need a slipper clutch, you need to do a track day

redline is 14k if i remember correctly and its not that im shifting out of first, i just dont go down to it but instead use 2nd around a corner because its easier and when i go into 1st i tend to make the back wheel hop so i have just been sticking with second, but i dont shift until 10 or 11k after im around the corner

and i agree, i need a track day

Edited by JStump

Then rev higher before you go to 1st and it wont hop. You have no need for a slipper clutch you need to learn how to shift.

This.

Your rear wheel should never hop on a downshift. Each gear is ~1k rpm off from the next. When upshifting, in the time it takes to upshift, the revs drop so its smooth even when you dump the clutch. If you try to just dump on a downshift, you are ~2k off and the rear will lock up. You either need to release smooth and slow (unnecessary wear, but really doesn't matter either way) or blip the throttle. You should also not let the revs drop below half your redline

Its a little different than your 250, clutch control is needed. Practice up you will get it.

justalump Are you talking turns around town or like hitting the twisties?

im talking about turns in town, like 90* turns left and right, the twisties are cake lol

Slipper clutches a fun to have but not needed. If you are getting wheel hop at slow speeds with small rpm changes your chain might be too tight.

actually i was told it was a bit loose, doesnt matter though cuz i have a new one coming in the mail this week and ill be adjusting it anyway.

sprockets are good, the reason im replacing the chain is not because it is worn out but because it is impossible to clean, i have tried everything but since it was sitting outside it is basically garbage. the sprocket still has a lot of life in it.

edit- and im not sure why you referenced my thread from a few days ago lol

oh gotcha

and yeah, i tried everything from kerosene and a rag to wd40 and a nylon brush but it is not worth the trouble to me anymore cuz my next step was to take it off and soak it in kerosene and in the end the o rings probably are shot anyway.