Bell Star Helmets at Iron Pony

r1crusher

I just came back from Iron Pony with RVT. Ever since Nick (aka The Dick :D ) chewed me out for my helmet at tech several weeks ago I've been on the hunt for a new lid. I wanted to pick up a Bell Star but needed to find some place to try them on first. My first stop was a strike out, all they had were the old SNELL 2005 ones. So off to Iron Pony since there were the only other ones stocking them and close (1 hour close :( ).

We got in the store and RVT had never been there so we did the tour around then over to the helmets. When I got over to the Bells there were probably half a dozen all marked down from $599 to $329!!! These were the SNELL 2010 models on top of that also! Every place I priced them online was $399 and up. They had one Day of the Dead model left and believe it or not was a small which fit fairly snug. The mediums were pretty loose on me.

So, seeing how they are a site sponsor. If anyone is looking for a new lid and aren't too picky about what's left there, these are a very good deal.

They were even good enough to ship it to me for free. I even picked up a dark tinted visor to go with it and was still cheaper than online.

That is all.

Now that you know what size works... The Bell Store website has last year's Star for 280 and up. Only one at $280, most of bargains are $300-$330 range. 2011 models at the top. Scroll down for the 2010 and older clearance stuff.

http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/star.html

Edited by ReconRat

I think all of the ones on closeout at the Bell Store are the SNELL 2005 ones. Bell changed the fit when the went to the SNELL 2010 cert. That's why I wanted to make sure to get the latest one. And no Day of the Dead models either.

Still, pretty good deals nonetheless!

See....I though they did but ever single person at IP told me that they did not. How the hell can I confirm this for sure???!?!?! If it's true I'll be calling them back as soon as possible.

Is STG a site sponsor? They also have a good selection of Bell Helmets at very good prices.

Mine (Bell Vortex) was delivered this afternoon while I was at the track. May of 2010 is the build date, and it's got the M2010 sticker on the back as well.

The Star is their top of the line model. They have Vortex, RS1, and Revolution models as well. Still trying to verify my cheek pad dilemma...maybe a call to Bell on Monday to find out for sure.

The vortex is the the lower end model for sure, but mine was $110 shipped.

The Stars can still be had for $200 for a 2010 model through STG.

I didn't see a single Star model on STG for less than $399.

I didn't see a single Star model on STG for less than $399.

if you click on the "Bell" logo, it says "Bell Star Helmets from $199," but if you click on the link, you're right - $399 and up. I stand corrected. My fault for believing the internet.

I haven't had a chance to wear my Vortex for more than 2 minutes, but for $110, I think it compares favorably against the EXO 400 or 700.

the 2010 build date was the selling point for me though. My last closeout Scorpion from STG was 3 years old when I took delivery. That limits its useable life with WERA, and Moto Series (didn't know they checked until this morning)

Yup, that's what got me going on a new one.....and the wife. I think I found some material that could clear up the cheek pad thing. I found a site that says the SNELL M2005 Star's come with two sets of pads. But, the SNELL M2010 Star's do not come with them. SO, I might be SOL and that's just the way the 2010's come now.

Okay, a quick call to Bell just a few minutes ago answered my question.

Bell did stop shipping the firm cheek pads with the Star models in 2010. So, before 2010 you would have installed in the helmet the softer set and been provided the firm set. After 2010 you now simply get the firm set installed in the helmet and that's it.

For me this is exactly what I wanted to hear since I now know I won't have to buy the firm ones.

So, for all of you looking at the Star models, if you buy one after 2010 your helmet will have the firm pads installed.

I know you were, just bustin' your vag a little. :D

I'm def. going to be out again I just have to look at the schedules. Seems like Nelsons is the only thing going locally. Mid-O is out until next month with all the KTM stuff going on. Next weekend opened up for me but again I need to look at the schedules.

Yup. I have a 2005. Made in December of 08 so I'm good for a minute. I've had it about a year and still pleased. Like I said earlier. I want that Star Carbon RSD anyway so we'll see.

anyone feel like the Bell helmet shells are bigger than other brands?

Just LOOKING at my Bell Vortex next to my Scorpion EXO 400, the Bell seems larger. I'll measure to verify, if I get a chance.

Both are mediums, and the Bell is MORE snug (although I know it will loosen up).

I went from an Arai medium to a Bell small...so I'm not so sure if interior wise they're close.

No, things shrink with age, fool. And since you can smell 40, you shouldn't be surprised your helmet size is smaller. :wheelchair: