Bell Star Helmets at Iron Pony

r1crusher

I'll leave you with three things to think about you Rio Grand river swimmer:

Garage door code

My foot

Your RC51

Keep runnin' your giz trap.

:nono:

Then I guess you don't want me disclosing what Mrs r1chaser has disclosed as shrinking as well.:waaa:

Edited by RVTPilot
  • Upvote 1

I really like the Bell Star series, especially now that I need a new lid -- I've dropped my KBC about 7 or 8 times and got a chunk of plywood to the faceshield on the highway........it's definitely getting beat to shit and I'd rather a new one before any possible "field testing" of this old one........good thread

anyone feel like the Bell helmet shells are bigger than other brands?

Just LOOKING at my Bell Vortex next to my Scorpion EXO 400, the Bell seems larger. I'll measure to verify, if I get a chance.

Both are mediums, and the Bell is MORE snug (although I know it will loosen up).

True. I wear a Medium in all helmets but had to go down to a small in a Bell.

All Bell helmets come with that bag and two sets of cheek pads, as well as a "Race STRIP"!!!!

At least my Star did.

This is not a completely accurate statement. As I stated earlier, an Bell Star helmet that has a Snell 2005 cert should come with the bag, two sets of cheek pads, and the track strip as it's actually called. IF you buy a Star with a Snell 2010 cert you will not get the extra set of cheek pads. You will get everything else though.

Just an FYI.

Tried a couple on at Roush yesterday. Feelslike a $50 helmet. But I'm a little spoiled with my Arai's.

I was also at Roush to try them on, but all they had were 2 year old models (i.e. Snell 2005). They changed the interior fit of the helmets in 2010 so you can't really say it's a $50 helmet until you put on a newer one.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: I'm also a former Arai owner.

I was also at Roush to try them on, but all they had were 2 year old models (i.e. Snell 2005). They changed the interior fit of the helmets in 2010 so you can't really say it's a $50 helmet until you put on a newer one.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: I'm also a former Arai owner.

Having taken said field trip last Saturday with Kev, I will attest (as an Arai owner as well) that the fit of the 05 Snell Bell to the 2010 is very different. I did not care for the '05 at all, yet found the '20 to be much more comfortable, and confidence inspiring as a safety device.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...Pony is now one less Star helmet as of today. I took the wife down to try on whatever she wanted to put on her head. We tried on just about everything and even though the style of the graphics isn't exactly perfect to her she still liked the Star and of course the price played a little bit into her decision. :D

So the great thing is I kind of have a backup helmet now also because we both got smalls.

Also, anyone looking at the other Bell helmet models be aware that the sizing DOES NOT appear to carry over between them! The wife could not get a small RSD on her head but she did the Star. So make sure to try them on!!

• 3 weeks later...

.... random update/question.

I've put about 3 rides around town (~40mi) on my Bell Vortex, and the visor has started to delaminate/spiderweb on the INSIDE. Whatever coating/film they use isn't up to snuff on my particular helmet I guess :dunno:

I sent an e-mail to STG to see what they'd like to do. I like the helmet, but the visor I have is apparently defective.

Anyone else have this issue w/ visors or coatings on them? It literally looks like a mini-spiderweb or frosting on the inside of the visor, and only on the leftside.

Edit: Email back from STG

"it is a known issues affecting only a handful of models. I will send you a new one. Just discard the old one."

I'm happy with that response.

Edited by JRMMiii

.... random update/question.

I've put about 3 rides around town (~40mi) on my Bell Vortex, and the visor has started to delaminate/spiderweb on the INSIDE. Whatever coating/film they use isn't up to snuff on my particular helmet I guess :dunno:

I sent an e-mail to STG to see what they'd like to do. I like the helmet, but the visor I have is apparently defective.

Anyone else have this issue w/ visors or coatings on them? It literally looks like a mini-spiderweb or frosting on the inside of the visor, and only on the leftside.

Edit: Email back from STG

"it is a known issues affecting only a handful of models. I will send you a new one. Just discard the old one."

I'm happy with that response.

For someone that's on here A LOT and is usually pretty good with the search tool you def. missed this:

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=81247

:nono:

Hmm, I tried a couple searches but the key term I settled on was "visor" because I didn't think "Bell" was a very good search term -- and since your post in that thread contains "shield", but no mention of visor... that's how I missed it.

I suppose the funny thing is, I remember reading that post when you posted it.

Edited by JRMMiii