School me on upgraded ecu's

attentiongetter92

I know a lot of you have power commanders and whatnot, I have decided I want one. My question is, what are they exactly?

expensive.

What are you trying to achieve with an upgraded ECU? For street riding, more mid-range is going to be preferable to an extra 6hp on the top end.

honestly though, the cheapest way to make your bike accelerate faster (which is what most people want) is to shed weight. From bike bike, or from yourself.

Simply re-gearing (more teeth on the rear sprocket) will have a similar affect for a lot less money. Sure, your top-speed will be 145 instead of 158, but how often is that going to matter? Your fuel economy will suffer a little if you re-gear, but the power commander will likely have the same (although not as dramatic) effect.

Just something to think about before you spend a bunch of money.

I picked the PCIII for my bike because it had a terrible surge at about 5000 rpm. and seemed like it had no power there either.. I also bought the quick shifter and was at the time never planning on getting a pro to tune it for me. or add traction control. and it was a little cheaper.. the bazzaz has more capability but only worth it if you are going to use it.. otherwise not much different.

The advantage of a bazzaz is that it can be expanded to have traction control, quick shift, on the fly tuning etc all at a high premium. A power commander is sufficient with single injector control and cheaper, but has less upgradability (still can do the self mapping, quick shift but I have heard at less user friendly, i do not have experience on that though). They never developed a secondary injector control because dynojet says it added too little performance increase to justify the cost.

You say you want one, but ou have to ask yourself does the price really justify the performance increase? You will gain a little top end if you already have spent a lot on performance upgrades The less you have upgraded, the less effect it will have. i.e. if you have a full system exhaust with AM air filter and velocity stacks, then you will gain a good amount. If you only have a slip on, its a waste.

Edited by imprez55

unless your bike is not running "well" (lean/rich), whether it is due to bike needing tune, or mods that pushed it out of tune... i tend to think they are not a good value (gains/$ spent).

i recommend getting a dyno pull or two done to check whether your bike is running rich/lean and decide if it needs to be brought back in line.

PC is typically way cheaper though.

ridersdiscount is the cheapest by far, and they're only a day or two away shipping time.

give mike a call, I know him very well and always treats customers right:

866 931 6644 x 804. tell him nathan sent you from ohioriders.

Right on thanks for the helps guys. The reason I am wanting one is because when I put my pipe on my bike it made it bog down at anything under about 3500rpm and anything above 40% throttle. Also made my gas mileage worse. And as for the gearing, I was thinking of dropping teeth, not adding them. I hope to do longer range riding soon and I don't think keeping the motor at 8k is good for reliability.

Edited by attentiongetter92
Whole lotta spelling fail in that.