My Weekend Trip to PA

Meanie

So as a few of you may have seen on FB, I left Columbus last Thursday morning on the bike and headed for my parents house in central Pennsylvania. I got on I-70 around 8:30 in the morning. I decided to take the freeway due to the increasing temperature as the day went on and the fact that I would be traveling over 400 miles that day. Around 10a I made it to West Virginia. I stopped on I-470 and got some gas, then continued on to Cabelas drive. I walked around Cabelas for about 15-20 minutes just to stretch my legs. I left Cabelas and rode another 40 miles to the PA Turnpike. I stopped in New Stanton just before getting on the Turnpike and grabbed some lunch and topped off fuel. After a quick lunch i got on the turn pike and headed east to the Bedford exit. I go to the Bedford exit, fueled up again and headed North on 220/99. I followed 220/99 to State College where i picked up 45 and fueled up again. From here I took 45 to 104 and finished the 405 mile trip to my parents.

The next day I was up at 7a and I left with my sister and brother-in-law for Gettysburg. After about a 2 hour ride and 2 stops we made it to Gettysburg. We did our own tour of the battlefield, but only stopped at a few of the site due to the temp being 101 and felt like 115. We stopped at the tower over looking Spanglers farm, and Eisenhowers farm, we hiked to the top of Big Round Top and Little Round Top, walked around Devils Den and rode through Cemetary Hill. I heard a lot of great stories from the guides that were there and took some pictures which i will post below. After the battlefield we stopped at the museum, had some lunch at Tommy's Pizza, visited Battlefield Harley Davidson then headed back to my parents house. It was extremely hot on the ride back in the middle of the afternoon.

Saturday morning I was up again at 7a and met up with my sister and brother-in-law and some of his co-workers. We headed down to the Carlisle Bike Fest. We were riding down 11&15 where we came across some windows that had fallen off the back of a truck. I was very thankful for my helmet and gear at this point cause I was getting hit with Glass shards. We stopped at a restaurant for breakfast and my sister had a cut on her leg from the glass. After we finished eating, we continued to Carlisle. We got to Carlisle and I only took a few pictures of one bike while we were there. Most of the stuff was vendors and shoppes. We watched one of the Starboys performances and watched a slow race, checked out the new Kawasaki line and headed over to Appalachian Harley Davidson (Everyone but me in the group was on a Harley.) After the Harley shop we headed back home.

Sunday I didn't ride more than 20 miles, just visiting family.

Monday I was up at 6a and headed back to Columbus. I made it all the way back to just before the I-70 exit on the PA turnpike before i ran into rain, a lot of hard rain. When the rain started there were no overpasses, or exits, or even emergency pull offs. So when I came across the first over pass with a BMW under it, I figured WTH I'm already wet might as well keep going now. About a half mile from that over pass the bike decided it didn't want to go any farther. I tried to give it gas and nothing happened, I started pulling off the road and the engine died as i was pulling onto the shoulder. I tried starting it again but it didn't start back up. I grabbed all my gear and walked back to the over pass and waited for the rain to clear. After the rain stopped I I walked back down to the bike and got it started back up... I am assuming the intake sucked in too much water. I fought my way through the rain for another about 40 miles until I was off the turn pike and halfway to Washington PA. I got off at the Fayetteville exit and topped off fuel and waited about another hour for the storm to pass. I got a window between storms and took off to get to the other side of Washington PA where I didn't see any more storms on radar. I hit another 2 storms between Washington PA and Pataskala. It seemed every time I got dry I'd get wet from another storm.

All in all it was a great trip I had a lot of fun, and got to hang out with my family. I put 1200 miles on the bike while doing it.

I'll post pics later.... or you can visit my FB page.

I have always wanted to ride the bike out to my parents place by Philadelphia but can't picture myself doing a 7-8 hour slab ride to get there.

Take two days and do all backroads.

Sounds like a great trip minus the rain. Sounds HOT in PA.