New to me dirt bike

speedytriple

So I went today and bought my first dirt bike. It's a 1999 suzuki dr 350 se. Has around 2800 miles on it ans set up right now for off road with full knobbies on it. Needs a little tlc and a few parts but runs top notch for a 12 year old dirt bike. this will be my new project bike, I plan to make it into a urban commuter bike. Maybe do a sumo conversion at some point? A few days spent cleaning lubing and turning wrenches and it should be a fun beater bike.

picture.php?albumid=1261&pictureid=14261picture.php?albumid=1261&pictureid=14262

I live like 130 miles away from any trails LOL! Unless there are off road areas anywhere near cleveland? The dirt bike thing is all new to me. My plans right now are to clean it, tune it up, maybe take care of the rust spots with some paint. and put a rack of some kind on it for hauling crap. I need some kind of tire with a more road bias tread pattern. I don't think the rear is even a dot legal tire? What ever I end up doing after the first round of tlc it is a fun bike either way.

Speedytriple, that is the very same bike that I borrowed for my one and only ever off road riding day. Mark and Shane took me to some muddy slimy hell and tortured me on that thing for about six hours. I hope you have a more civilized time on it!!

:-)

I live like 130 miles away from any trails LOL! Unless there are off road areas anywhere near cleveland? The dirt bike thing is all new to me. My plans right now are to clean it, tune it up, maybe take care of the rust spots with some paint. and put a rack of some kind on it for hauling crap. I need some kind of tire with a more road bias tread pattern. I don't think the rear is even a dot legal tire? What ever I end up doing after the first round of tlc it is a fun bike either way.

You're about 90 miles to the closest, but I get your point. Still would be a great dual sport if you plated it, for back roads and exploring.

The DOT thing isn't an issue in Ohio, we just have a minimum tread depth requirement but it's not illegal to run a non-DOT tire here on the street.

Excellent bikes! I've thrashed one mercilessly!

I've got some spare parts laying around for one of those that I'd probably sell cheap.

supertrapp exhaust, Dirt model forks and shock, 2 rear fenders. Heck, I've got a frame and a blown motor too (has kickstarter though)

I've also got a GS500 Wheel/Rotor/Tire that some people have used to do a budget Sumo conversion (see Pookiebear on supermotojunkie/thumpertalk)

Nice purchase........but without any dirt available to you locally, I'd definitely sumo convert that thing.........but with the trans gearing, you'd probably want to shrink the rear sprocket quite a bit to get any real mileage and speed out of her