Shotguns!!! any who knows anything in here..

shadyone

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm looking to buy my first shot gun.. going to be used for home defense and clay birds. I think I've narrowed it down to the Benelli Supernova, or possible just the Nova. but i keep getting the Remington 887 in the back of my head.

so lets hear it whats your personal choice and which of the three do you like best. good and bad about each or just to troll....:D

I wouldn't worry about doubling a clay/hunting gun with home defense - no reason to have a shorter barrel for the house........any criminal hears you rack a round in a shotgun and they won't be sticking around to see how long the barrel is!! And if they do, that 28" will throw shot at 'em as well as any 18"..........Buy what suits you and don't settle on quality just because you're a first timer - if you dig the Benelli's, get one.......I used to have Ithaca's - and I thought they were very good weapons, never an issue.........but not sure they're even around anymore.......haven't had a shotgun in my possession for over 20 years.

Happy shopping!!

Thanks for the Advice Hellmut. its just that when you are spending $500 dollars on a gun you don't want to regret it. kinda like buying a bike just to outgrow it too soon. I honestly dont think I could go wrong with any of them so Ill jsut get the one that tickles my fancy the most.. Turns out thats the Supernova in the Realtree APG Camo.

Thanks for the Advice Hellmut. its just that when you are spending $500 dollars on a gun you don't want to regret it. kinda like buying a bike just to outgrow it too soon.

You will not regret any of the guns listed here. All the ones listed are quality guns. I personally love Benelli and Frenchi but my budget likes Mossberg more. Saiga has a uniqueness because its uncommon here. The only way to really know which one you want is to try them all!!! Im sure it wouldn't. Take much of an excuse for these guys to take you out shooting.

How many rounds does the drum hold?

VVVVVVVVVVVVV

By the way, my avatar is of the same as my MD ARMS 20 round drum magazine made for the Saiga 12 but obviously x-rayed :D

Saiga shotguns run around 350-400 I believe.

Fudge!! I was way off they ave jumped like crazy since last I looked!

http://armsofamerica.com/saigasemi-autoshotguns-2.aspx

They used to be at that prices but there was a "study" done by the BATFE that scared the shit outta everyone that was "supposedly" they were in determination to ban importation of S12's and deem them a DD (destructive device) stopping importation completely. So prices went up, sales went crazy and Saiga 12's went missing for a while. Now they are down back down to a pretty average price because that never actually happened.

I have a Nova and love it. dead nuts for clays... i used it for home defense till i decided to chop up an old Winchester 1300 20ga i had and never used. so now the pistol grip 20ga is on bed side duty. i love that thing. still need to finish the barrel but it works. lol

I wouldn't worry about doubling a clay/hunting gun with home defense - no reason to have a shorter barrel for the house........any criminal hears you rack a round in a shotgun and they won't be sticking around to see how long the barrel is!! And if they do, that 28" will throw shot at 'em as well as any 18"..........

I agree in some situations.

I've waffled on a shotgun for a while now too. Money's tight at home (new roof goes on next week), so no purchase yet.

But regardless, I agree that a long barrel is probably fine if you're planning to truly defend yourself and your spouse. But as soon as you plan to protect children, pets, property, etc. (i.e. move from a defensive position by leaving your bedroom), the shorter barrel becomes a LOT more practical and necessary.

Cut a broom stick to the length of the gun you intend to purchase, and see how it is navigating through your home. I think that would sell most people on an 18" barrel pretty quickly.

Now in my case, I can't foresee myself pursuing anyone. If they enter my home armed, I am blasting anyoen who opens my bedroom door, but I'm not going to try to stop them from taking my TV. I wouldn't fault others for wanting the option to protect property as well.

very nice novas!

temp.jpg

wish i woulda sprang for the camo on my 28", but i definitely like that HD model...damn you, another gun on my list

Thanks! The ghost ring sight is fantastic on it. I've never had anything but a bead front. The giant hole in the target was at absolute point of aim.

if this is your first gun just get a mossberg 500.

You say you don't like them and they are common, but you don't know anything about shot guns. Buy a cheap used moss for $200, shoot the fuck out of it, sell it for $200, then buy w/e u want.

I have two mossbergs and a beretta. Nothing wrong with have a nice shotgun, i just rather use my cheap ones. (my slug gun has a 18" barrell pistol grip stock and 6 position stock, bought it for $125. My 26" clay mossberg is a special edition of some sort, nib condition for $200)

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

You say you don't like them and they are common, but you don't know anything about shot guns. Buy a cheap used moss for $200, shoot the fuck out of it, sell it for $200, then buy w/e u want.

/\ this. You need to know how and when to pull the trigger safely. You normally don't buy a fast as hell bike for your first bike.

I have two mossbergs and a beretta. Nothing wrong with have a nice shotgun, i just rather use my cheap ones. (my slug gun has a 18" barrell pistol grip stock and 6 position stock, bought it for $125. My 26" clay mossberg is a special edition of some sort, nib condition for $200)

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

I guess I should have posted this earlier I have shot Rem 870's 1100's and Mossberg 590? and they are good guns. but everyone talks about how they have had their shotguns for 20 years. so Even though this is MY first shotgun I have been around them and Am willing to spend the money to get a NIB shotgun that I will like for the next 20 years. Now granted I will buy more shotguns and guns in general for the rest of my life I don't plan on ever selling them. Unless of course realy hard times fall uppon us. Its not like It's going to bankrupt me to buy it. so why not spend the cash on a lot nicer one instead of upgrading later. Nice looking gun by the way

Im not plannign on it being a competitive thing just once or twice a month with my brother for the fun of it. and then maybe doing a weekday league sometime once i get a lot better. and it won't be my only defense gun have a Taurus 840 and TCP both next to the bed everynight. Also my GF and I live in a one bedroom apartment os If someone is in the Apartment with one corner from teh bedroom to the open kitchen dining room living room area.. so a long barrel wont inhibit my movement.

Im not plannign on it being a competitive thing just once or twice a month with my brother for the fun of it. and then maybe doing a weekday league sometime once i get a lot better. and it won't be my only defense gun have a Taurus 840 and TCP both next to the bed everynight. Also my GF and I live in a one bedroom apartment os If someone is in the Apartment with one corner from teh bedroom to the open kitchen dining room living room area.. so a long barrel wont inhibit my movement.

if you want to be decent you will want a 28"-30" barrell for clays (as ben stated in the 2nd post), if you are going to use this is a home-protection gun, idc how open your area of the house is 18" max.

You will need two guns to do what you're doing, to be ok. Now I've seen people shoot clays with a 18" barrell, but its 10x harder and you have to shoot instantly because you're spread is gone if you hesitiate.

Edited by Carwhore

/\ this. You need to know how and when to pull the trigger safely. You normally don't buy a fast as hell bike for your first bike.

this is true but comparetively speaking I would say a Mossberg 500=250cc 887=600cc and a benelli Super Black Eagle II=1000cc so a Nova or 887 isn't unreasonable.

O and I learned to ride on a 955cc.. hahahaa

if you want to be decent you will want a 28"-30" barrell for clays (as ben stated in the 2nd post), if you are going to use this is a home-protection gun, idc how open your area of the house is 18" max.

You will need two guns to do what you're doing, to be ok. Now I've seen people shoot clays with a 18" barrell, but its 10x harder and you have to shoot instantly because you're spread is gone if you hesitiate.

Right I understand the two gun thing an am looking to get the clay first because I have two pistols that will do home defense just fine.

If you are going to have a dedicated clays gun go for the over under. I have an 870 remington that functions flawsly. I like pump action shotguns for home defense. I put an ATI pistol grip/6 position folding stock and mag tube extender.

Edited by crb

I was shooting pump-action and over/under 12 gauges back-to-back a few weeks ago, and the over/under is definitely the better choice for clays.

Not having to pump between birds is one major benefit, but it's also just a lot less bulky.

I have no intention of shooting clays remotely competitively, so I'll go with a pump, but it sounds like you'er more serious.