Fuel Economy

C-bus

Hyper-miling? What's that?

Shift early, get to your speed and stick to it, time lights so you're slowing/stopping as little as possible, coast a lot, get better mileage, annoy fellow drivers (e.g. ZOMFG even though the light's red, I wanna speed up to it and wait).

If pump your tires up to 100, 150 psi, that helps, too...:rolleyes:

Hyper-miling is where you use hills ,you put the bike in nutral and coast or you hold in on the clutch and coast down the hill I have actually went faster down hills in Tenn, KY, VA, and W VA the bike is at idle while you are moving at 65+

Hyper-miling is where you use hills ,you put the bike in nutral and coast or you hold in on the clutch and coast down the hill I have actually went faster down hills in Tenn, KY, VA, and W VA the bike is at idle while you are moving at 65+

Not entirely accurate, modern engines actually use no fuel at all when engine braking so it is more efficient to actually leave it in gear when going down hill or coming to a stop but just let off the throttle.

Not entirely accurate, modern engines actually use no fuel at all when engine braking so it is more efficient to actually leave it in gear when going down hill or coming to a stop but just let off the throttle.

I would disagree, that is causing more drag and slowing you down to continue driving the engine...

you'd be best to pop to neutral and kill the engine on a downhill...

the problem is if you have power steering or a locking steering wheel, it could cause stupid people to crash.

The '01 XX gets around 30 mpg when the weather is nice... and 45-50 when the roads are wet. (entirely due to my right hand and left foot)

'00 Caddy STS gets 19 mpg

what I save on fuel, I break even on tires. The cost savings is from the shrink I don't need.

The '01 XX gets around 30 mpg when the weather is nice... and 45-50 when the roads are wet. (entirely due to my right hand and left foot)

'00 Caddy STS gets 19 mpg

what I save on fuel, I break even on tires. The cost savings is from the shrink I don't need.

My 03 CTS gets 20mpg when I drive and 25 when the gf drives :lol:

v-strom DL1000:

over the pass 6000miles of in town, hi-way and, everything in between, i averaged 41mpg.

i changed back to stock ECU. i'm so far avg.45 mpg for 2012. 47.7 avg. mpg for the month of june. using 93 octane w/ sta-bil marine formula ethanol treatment. check out the fuelly link. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jbw/dl1000

40ish on the ST4 - about the same for the 900ss, except when I slabbed it out to Indy last year for MotoGP...900 got 55ish and I was way impressed.

If I'm doing some spirited riding, low fuel light comes on either bike in the 60 mile range, so about 20mpg.

I would disagree, that is causing more drag and slowing you down to continue driving the engine...

you'd be best to pop to neutral and kill the engine on a downhill...

the problem is if you have power steering or a locking steering wheel, it could cause stupid people to crash.

Yes, it would cause you to slow down, but if you are doing down hill you are gonna want to slow down anyway(depending on the hill). This is really a case by case thing because if the hill is tall or long enough this will save more gas than if the engine was idling down the hill. The gas savings of one method over another are negligible when talking about a bike probably but in a car it is much higher since the the heavy car will keep momentum and will not stop as quick. There is a hill I encounter on my way to work where if I leave my car in 4th while going down the hill I max out my "Current MPG" gauge at 99.9mpg and I can watch my "miles till empty" gauge increase 2 to 3 miles since I am not using gas for probably half a mile. However, when I put it in 6th gear on the hill my MPG is around 50 because the engine is actually running slow enough it needs gas to stay running and I am using my brakes a lot more which is wasting energy.

This method is also how you should slow down as well. Instead of shifting into neutral and coasting to a stop, leave it in gear and as the engine slows down, down shift to the next gear and so on until you are stopped. This will not only increase the life of your brakes, it will give better gas mileage and I believe it is even illegal to be in neutral when moving(unless in an emergency situation such as hydroplaning or something) because you need to be able to react to things in an emergency.

Edited by JStump

However, when I put it in 6th gear on the hill my MPG is around 50 because the engine is actually running slow enough it needs gas to stay running and I am using my brakes a lot more which is wasting energy.

you would use the least fuel if you popped to neutral at the top of the hill and shut off your engine, coasted until you needed to accelerate again, restart engine and pop into gear...

now would you run the risk of a speeding ticket or an unsafe speed for a turn... I don't know... but you would use less fuel for that trip than the other method.

I've done a great deal of fuel economy study, i did some work for aptera before they closed their doors, and their car was getting 200mpg equivalent.

I wish i could get my grubby mitts on one of their mules... they had about 12 iterations at their plant in carlsbad, super aerodynamic and super lightweight, had a drag coefficient lower than lance armstrong at full tuck.

Edited by magley64

As I stated before, when in a low enough gear you use NO GAS. You have to pick the appropriate gear for this to work. I have found for my car, if the RPMs are above 2000 I max out my MPG which is basically saying I am using no gas since the computer does not have the ability to say I am getting infinite MPG lol. Also, putting it in N then turning off the engine would be extremely dangerous and you would get the same result as I stated above. I know it is hard to understand how an engine can run on no gas but what is really happening when engine braking is the wheels are driving the engine instead of the engine driving the wheels, its not until the wheels are slower than the engine that you start to use gas again.

Edited by JStump

no you would not get the same result, because if you are not driving the pistons you would coast FURTHER and use less fuel...

and it would not be dangerous at all if you have manual brakes, manual steering and a non-locking steering wheel...

even easier if you have manual transmission because you wouldn't waste electrical energy restarting your engine.

Yes you would coast further in N but you are still using gas the entire time. My method uses no gas what so ever.

I know it is hard to understand how an engine can run on no gas but what is really happening when engine braking is the wheels are driving the engine instead of the engine driving the wheels, its not until the wheels are slower than the engine that you start to use gas again.

how are you using gas if your engine is off?

The engine is NOT off when in N, it is idling which is using gas. I am not even going to acknowledge the "turn your car completely off" method because it is impractical and dangerous.

Edited by JStump

My Method INCLUDED turning off the engine at the top of the hill...then restarting (either by the starter or bump starting with the clutch) at the point you needed to accelerate again.

"impractical and dangerous"?

Please explain how the turning of the ignition switch is impractical if you're already taking the time to pop the trans into neutral...

and dangerous because....? (I've already acknowledged the fact that you should have a car with manual steering and manual brakes if you don't have the strength to bypass the power systems, and the fact that you don't want to lock your steering wheel)

Edited by magley64

Again, I am not going to argue against the "turn your car completely off" method because it is impractical and dangerous.

Edit: I guess by saying this I am in fact arguing against it, BUT I am not including as an option for best real world gas saving.

And how many hardcore hypermilers are there here? I am just giving advice for real world driving which normal people can use to save gas. Telling people to shut of their engines does not fit into this category. I can see the headlines of the local paper now "Woman dies from not being able to negotiate corner after turning off engine".

Edited by JStump

EOC is the MOST effective way to safe fuel, the idea is not to waste potential energy.

if you're on a motorcycle, it's even easier...

grab the clutch, snap the kill switch off then on... once you get to your target speed at the bottom of the hill, slowly release the clutch...

win win win.