Rocket to cruiser...

alab32

Well, I have mentioned it before and now I am mentioning it again to get some ideas. I am thinking of getting rid of the CBR and going with a cruiser. I REALLY like Victories. They are gorgeous, mostly American made, sexy, powerful... Just trying to see what you guys think.

And yes, I am in AZ now, however I prefer to ask you guys up there! :D If you are not a fan of the Victories, please elaborate and then make your recommendations. Thanks folks!

Obviously there is a difference between sitting on and riding on, however, the Victories I have sat on are very comfortable. I can stretch out a little bit and be a bit more, ok, a lot more, relaxed than on my rocket. I have a bad back so the stretching out, but not over-stretching of course, feels really good.

The Victories are really good bikes. Lots of power, VERY comfortable, and handle great! The downside is that they are extremely over priced. It is really a lot of cheap plastic. Gives new meaning to fantastic plastic! Of their touring bikes, the saddles bags are REALLY small! I can fit more in just one of my HD bags than in both of theirs. I don't know about the warranty, but if they wont give you at least a 7 year warranty - pass it up!! I am a bit partial to the HD's, but I would also suggest looking at the Yamaha's. My GF just bought a brand new one - it's great, except for the warranty. Must be a Harley thing to offer long warranties?? Another thing to consider - how many dealerships are there? If you take a ride - extended - and need parts or work, how close would you be to one in any given place? I suggest either a Harley or a Yamaha or a Honda.

I have a friend that purchased a Victory this year, and as brigham70 stated, they are grossly overpriced, but very nice. Keep in mind, if you care to do any modification, there's pretty much no third-party aftermarket parts for it, you have to buy your parts from Victory...which obviously are ridiculously high-priced.

I like the Victory's a lot too. If I didn't have my Raider now, I'd probably have a Victory. But as stated, if you are into making it your own and modding, whether it be small bolt on's or larger cc kits, Yamaha would be the way to go. I say go test ride some to see what fits you the best.

My vote is for the Yamaha first, then Victory.

I agree with Wicked's statement above. Going from a hard-core super-sport bike like the CBR to a cruiser isn't apples-to-oranges, it's more like apples-to-anchovies! I would definitely take a good look at the FJR, the VFR, the new Kaw Ninja, and maybe some of the new breed of nekkids that are finally being offered in the good ol' USA. If the roads in AZ are as amazing as I've heard, you're going to run out of corner clearance much too soon on a cruiser.

I have demo ridden a few victory bikes and liked them alot. Much better then the few harleys I have ridden. much better brakes and handling then the harley. And as far as being overpriced? compared to what a harley? thats a joke right? I also like some of the new yamaha cruisers. I would say to also look at bikes like the triumph thunderbird they are very nice for the money and look nice also.

I have ridden quite a few road bikes and like the Yamaha's a lot but I love the Victory. I know it is a big difference to go from the CBR to a road bike but I cant do a sport tourer. As for the Victory being over priced, that is the biggest downfall of all. They are a bit pricey. I really like the VTX line as well. They are much cheaper and still rather nice, however not American made. Not sure where to go... But selling my CBR is going to be a sad day. I have done a lot to her and she is certainly my baby. Thanks for the input folks!

My brother has a 2008 Victory Vegas 8ball. Very nice ride comfortable, powerful and good looking. i would buy a victory long before a harley except maybe a Vrod.. the one thing I can't get use to is the lack of clearance of a cruiser. I can easily drag pegs and exhaust on any corner. really causes some butt pucker moments. And I would still rather ride my bike than that for any lengthy time period no matter what the roads look like.

I rode a Warrior and I liked the power but didnt like the way you sit on the bike. Not sure I am sold on the aesthetics like I am with the Victory, either. As for the Vmax, I dont really like the looks of those either.

going from my 954 to the warrior was a good switch. I've rode Victories and hated them. the new Hammers such ass. Maybe the Warrior spoiled me but the way i ride, the Warrior was perfect.

But most likely i'm going back to sportbikes... so i will bow out now... cruisers are just not my thing.

What part of AZ are you in? I'm in the process of moving there.

Im in Tucson. Enjoy the move!!!

going from my 954 to the warrior was a good switch. I've rode Victories and hated them. the new Hammers such ass. Maybe the Warrior spoiled me but the way i ride, the Warrior was perfect.

But most likely i'm going back to sportbikes... so i will bow out now... cruisers are just not my thing.

Oooo... I love the 954... I really love riding the rocket and I will be sad if I see it go, however, my wife has a cruiser and we look goofy riding together. Also, I have a bad back so I can not take any decently long rides and be able to be comfortable that night or even the next day. Just doesnt seem worth it any more.