Bike won't start

Orgoth225

Well I just bought an old motorcycle (1978 yamaha xs 400)and when I got the bike it started perfectly. Problem now is I forgot that the prime and off switch is different from my other bike and left it on for about 2 hours and now it won't start. I know it's flooded because when I opened the side panel the oil that came out was a slight brownish mud colored mess and smelled of gas. On top of that the kickstart is feels like it's gummed up and even with my full weight (250lbs) it jams about half way down. I think I just need to empty the remaining oil and change the plugs but what concerns me is he the sticky/jerky engine turnoverhttp://ohioriders.net/images/smilies/frown.gif. What do you guys think? Btw I'm new to this forum nice to meet you allhttp://ohioriders.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

one more thing when I crank it it sounds like the engine is wheezing. but I have compression. And do you know any good mechanics near berea. notably near baldwin wallace. Many thanks. it wasn't an expensive bike (less then 200) but it was working when I purchased it.

From the sounds of the OP's description, I'd hazard a guess that the fuel leaked into the cylinders and they are hydraulic-locked, i.e., full of liquid (gas) and unable to come to TDC. Suggest turning off the petcock, pulling the plugs, and kicking the engine over until it clears itself.

Then....rebuild the carbs, drain the crankcase and refill with fresh oil. And for God's sake, do the work yourself. If you take it to a shop, you'll have a $200 bike (maybe) that you've got a grand in.

I am in berea and the closet bike shop I would take my bike to would be roush in medina off rt 18 about 15 miles down 71 from BW. I am in Berea/olm twp so not to far from ya if you are at BW. There is also a shop on brookpark rd that I have use before he seems to be good with older bikes as well.