Advice regarding back orders please

BikerBoy

Meant to say Advices in the title sorry

My Suzuki tl 1000s has been in a dealer shop waiting for a back order on a recall for over a month now.

First i got the bike there , they said it will be about 10 days, then said the tank " which is on recall " is on 4 weeks back order, it's been a month+ now , and they said it is still on 4 weeks back order, any advice on how to deal with this ?

Free recall, on an older bike it's 1997

I am asking as there isn't much of riding time left this season " if any " , advices are more than welcome please, Thanks

your only other option would be to find another tank(post recall)and hope it dosnt leak too..put it on there and wait for the new one to come in...but that would be a pricey route to take plus im not 100% sure the bolt pattern is the same for the pump plate

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=260842794498&index=19&nav=SEARCH&nid=84459299718

..if I were you I would just wait it out...yea it sucks but I feel the TL is worth it.

Edited by 2talltim

I know at least in the automotive world (I worked for a Nissan dealer), the older the vehicle, the more difficult the recall is to complete. For us, 1997 may not be that old, but for a manufacturer, that's an antique. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but how competent is the dealership you're working with? Is the tank even in production? You may want to try calling Suzuki's consumer hotline - that may help oil the machine. I'd get the recall done before you do any riding - looks like you have a backup bike - may not be as fun, but at least you're on two wheels.

i belive his problem is the tank was leaking bad...and there is no replacment gasket for the non-recalled tanks because they totally redesigned it, because it was too weak to support the pump assembly thats why they recalled the entire tank...the new tanks are more rigid and have more suport around the lip where the pump assembly mounts

Yep leaking tank isn't the best way to ride the bike, i received a call today , they are out of tanks, except for a green one ..... a green tank on a red bike, anyway i agreed to it,i'll ride it with green than, then paint it during the winter........ the guy just called me 3 mins ago

Edited by BikerBoy

Right' date=' but you could buy the kit, fix the leak.. and then have them replace the tank during the winter. :dunno:

..and Suzuki should be replacing your tank with a red one. That, or paying to have the green one painted. Tell me you aren't dealing with State8..please.[/quote']

The kit dost fit the pre recalled tanks, only post recall. I too had to do the kit last winter and mine is a post recall tank, your probably was too. They did some of the recalls at the dealer before they were sold new.

Right' date=' but you could buy the kit, fix the leak.. and then have them replace the tank during the winter. :dunno:

..and Suzuki should be replacing your tank with a red one. That, or paying to have the green one painted. Tell me you aren't dealing with State8..please.[/quote']

Actually I am dealing with state8 , how bad of trouble am I in ? :p

Anyway , that what i got so I believe i should live with my decision , sucks but what can i do ? I would probably spray paint it my self over the winter " not best idea, but state8 told me it cost about 200 to paint it , and to be honest, i am not paying that much to paint the whole bike " cheap me i know"

I understand suzuki should of found me a red one , but according to state 8, they couldn't find a new red tank anywhere in the great USA , the green one is coming for CA

One more thing.. I don't remember if you told me this..but does you bike have the factory steering damper on it? That was also a recall item, if it has it they already did the recall

they did the steering recall, it beats me tho , that the previous owner(s) didn't do the tank recall since 1998.....

they did the steering recall, it beats me tho , that the previous owner(s) didn't do the tank recall since 1998.....

Steering damper...looks like a little shock on top of your triple tree...PM me your cell ill send you a pic of mine..these bikes were know for tank slappin so they put these on to help

Suzuki should foot the bill for the paint unless they have some kind of time limit. If the recall was in 98 then I can see why 13 years later they are taking the you get what we give you attitude.

I don't work for a bike dealer, but the techs at the dealership I do work for are ALWAYS complaining about the time alotment for recalls, campaigns, modification bulletins, and warranty work........Most corps. pinch every single penny they possibly can when it's free work, so if Zuki follows suit there, I'm sure it only pays for the part and a VERY quick swap out.

Ethics tell me one thing, but actuality is typically a completely different story, sadly enough.......even though the recall is over 10 years old, shouldn't matter - Zuki corp. should've tracked all recalls performed by VIN # so they would know exactly how many units were affected ( in advance ) vs. how many units are still needing done ( YTD ) so whether or not there is a "green" available shouldn't change the fact that your bike is still needing done -- I would personally complain if they're not willing to make things right, but if it does come down to you having to paint the tank out of your own pocket - shouldn't cost much more than $200 materials/labor by a competent paint shop.

I honestly do not know what am i supposed to do exactly, i would love to play the card of " suzuki should pay for the paint, but honestly i don't wait any longer and lose whatever left in the riding season , i got my shadow to ride around, but a cruiser is not a sport bike :p