Lost my Job

Vulcan_Rider

It's story time.

Last summer my friend of 5 or 6 years asked me if I would work for him if he bought a pizza shop since I have experiance in the field. I asked what exactly he would want me to do and he told me I would run the place, he would only be there 20-25 hours a week I would be the GM and would be responsible for the entire operation. We came to an agreement on pay which would be $10 an hour and a bonus structure that would max out at 5% of gross sales. Without getting into all the details of all the shit he did that pissed me off (because it would turn this post into a fucking novel) I will highlight the big things that bothered me. He has a huge ego to the point of nobody can question him or else he gets pissed, he had no appreciation or grattitude for everything I did in that shop, he would talk down to people like they were less than human, and he lost his job due to his shitty attitude so started working a lot of hours in the shop and tried to cut my hours back. The final straw came in the form of an employment contract he wanted me to sign. Included in this contract were things such as a no competition clause, if i quit or get fired I can not work for any competitor, including any pizza shop fast food or restaurant within 10 miles of his location. I understand these are fairly common in contracts however this is the food service industry give me a fucking break. Also in the contract was a section about my schedule saying I must work 2 out of 3 weekend days every weekend with no exception whatsoever. The biggest thing in the contract was he cut my bonus max out to 0.5%. For example at $500k a year in sales under the old plan I would get a $20k bonus, under the new max out i would get $2500. Now the reason this is such a big deal is not only because he is going back on our original agreement but because the only reason I agreed to such a low hourly pay rate was due to the bonus structure. the past few weeks the shop has been really understaffed because 1 person quit 2 people went back to college another is out for medical reasons and another is on vacation this week. He is very cheap and wants to pinch and save every penny he can so he was very slow on hiring new people which meant i had to bust ass twice as hard to pick up the slack plus i had to train them as fast as possible because according to him as an owner training is not his responsiblity it is mine and mine alone. I went in on Monday to talk to him about the contract we sat down and skipped all the bullshit and went straight to the bonus issue, I told him it was not fair and we either had to go back to the old bonus structure or my hourly pay had to go up. I asked if the bonus would go back to the old way he said no, I asked if my houly pay will increase he said "No and if you don't like it you can give me your keys and get the fuck out of my shop" I did exactly that and for the first time in my life walked out on a job.

The truly sad part is he has no idea how fucked he is because he honestly believed that he was the only reason that shop was as successful as it is and now that I am gone there are already 2 more employees that want to quit because they dont want to deal with his shit.

If anyone knows of any jobs in the greater Cleveland or Akron area please let me know.

• Upvote 1

do we need a new smiley? Something like "OR is not career builder"? :lol:

Nah, really though, it's never really easy to work for friends. I did so for about 11 years, most of which were good, but when things started getting crazy, I decided to move on and salvage the friendship.

I hope you find something soon!

Drop me a PM with your email addy. I know of a potential client of mine looking to add two shops in the next 12 months and one of them will be fairly soon.

Vulcan_Rider (potentially) winning!

+rep for Marty :bow:

my reading comprehension skills may be lacking, but i couldn't tell if you SIGNED The non-compete, or he was asking you to sign it.

If you signed it, send me the terms. If they're "unreasonable," they won't be enforced. Plus your boy would have to shell out more money than it's worth to sue you...

My company may also be hiring. It would be a sales position, and a lot of cold-calling within our industry, but not as bad as that makes it sound. Plus I believe it's $28k base, plus a pretty decent commission structure. PM me if interested.

my reading comprehension skills may be lacking, but i couldn't tell if you SIGNED The non-compete, or he was asking you to sign it.

If you signed it, send me the terms. If they're "unreasonable," they won't be enforced. Plus your boy would have to shell out more money than it's worth to sue you...

My company may also be hiring. It would be a sales position, and a lot of cold-calling within our industry, but not as bad as that makes it sound. Plus I believe it's $28k base, plus a pretty decent commission structure. PM me if interested.

He would've signed it if he could've kept his 5% commission bonus. However, dude said to take it in the ass or leave, so he left.