SW Ohio trails on DR650?

Mick783

Thinking about selling my SV and getting a dual sport & I think I have settled on a DR650SE, something I can commute on and still do some light trail/offroad riding + occasional short highway if needed. The question I have is can anyone recommend some good, local to sw ohio trails or places to ride offroad? Nothing too aggressive obviously but good for a day trip ride?

Not a whole bunch of stuff in SW Ohio, but South on Loundenville and McArthur there are some decent areas. Actually the south end of Tar Hollow State park is all gravel roads as are many os the Sciota SP roads. You'd have to search google earth to see if there are any decent dirt roads near Eaton or West towards Indy.

PS Don't forget to look for pre08 KLR's as an option for good on and off road machines for the price.

Haha I was just in McArthur with a friend last week, we hit a bunch of roads around Hocking Hills and then struck off south on some back road. Lots of gravel and my buddy hit a patch & wound up laying his bike down in some farmers front yard. No injures but some cosmetic damage to his bike.

I looked at the klr650 but it sounds like it sits higher & too top heavy for alot of offroad riding? I am also looking at a klx250s tomorrow, still not 100% sure what I want...

Edited by Mick783

I looked at the klr650 but it sounds like it sits higher & too top heavy for alot of offroad riding? I am also looking at a klx250s tomorrow, still not 100% sure what I want...

Are you under 6ft? Then it might feel large. :p On the other hand I just saw this on CL

DR350 in Columbus:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2580371864.html

I don't know if they are what you are looking for but there are ATV dirt trails at Pike State Forest (SE of Hillsboro) and Wayne NF ATV area down at Hanging Rock east of Portsmouth. Wayne requires a trail pass. Not sure what Pike requires for street legal dirt bikes.

Ken

I don't know if they are what you are looking for but there are ATV dirt trails at Pike State Forest (SE of Hillsboro) and Wayne NF ATV area down at Hanging Rock east of Portsmouth. Wayne requires a trail pass. Not sure what Pike requires for street legal dirt bikes.

Ken

Nothing for street legal bikes but state ORV sticker for everthing not plated. WNF requires a Fed ORV sticker weather your on a street legal bike or not.

Richland furnace SP ORV area also has some trails. But most people who have dual sport bikes prefer not having to compete with ATV's for trail use. Thankfully SE Ohio has lots of unmaintained roads and trails.