Please comment on my CL For sale post - Buell Blast

Josh1234

Here's what I'm posting on Craigslist... I really don't expect anyone here to buy it, since I consider $2,500 OBO a "Craigslist" price :)

Think my ad is missing something? Think I should change something? Give me some feedback!

The best starter bike you can buy!

Up for sale is a 2005 Buell Blast. It currently has under 6,000 miles

but I still ride it as much as possible. Fall is the best season to

ride! The cool temperatures are great for wearing safety gear, and

the leaves changing colors provide a great backdrop.

A Buell Blast offers several advantages over other starter bikes:

An automatic choke. One less thing for a new rider to worry about.

The bikes fires right up with the automatic starter and idles happily until

you're ready to ride. There's no need to turn on & off & manage a

choke.

A low seat height. The Blast comes with a "standard" height seat and

one that is two inches lower. I have both seats, as I bought the bike

with the lower seat, and then purchased the standard height for

myself. I'm 6'2, BTW, and the Blast fits me pretty comfortably... The

lower seat, however, WILL allow a short rider to flat-foot the ground.

This REALLY helps for rider confidence, as well as making sure they

don't drop the bike.

Hydraulically adjusted valves. This means that there's no required

maintenance to adjust valves like on almost all other bikes. Less maintenance means

more riding time.

Belt-driven. The Blast doesn't have a chain, it has a kevlar drive

belt. This means there's no need to replace, tighten, or lube the

chain. Again, less maintenance means more riding time and one less

thing to worry about.

Surlyn body part covers. Surlyn is the plastic-like material that

covers the outside of golf balls. The plastics on a Buell Blast are

color-molded in Surlyn, meaning it won't get a dent if a new rider

drops it, and any scratches can be polished or buffed out, as the

plastic is the same color all the way through. The bike was made to

bounce back after a drop as much as possible.

I bought the motorcycle in August, 2010 and have ridden it for over a

year. It was my starter bike and it has been fantastic for that. A

Buell Blast is 500cc, meaning it's twice the displacement of a Ninja

250. It also has twice the torque. The Blast is very comfortable at

highway speeds... It'll get me up to 95 mph, and I weight about 220.

It has more than enough power to handle me comfortably, so it'll do

just fine with a smaller rider, also. It's also very stable. Front &

rear disc brakes provide excellent stopping power.

I've had the bike serviced and changed the oil twice since I've owned

it. It got a new Computer controlled ignition module last fall, and I

put on a new rear tire (A Pirelli, better than the stock Dunlop) this

summer. It also had the carb tuned last summer.

She (I call her Buella - I know, not very creative) has a clean title

in my possession. I ride every chance I get, so the miles are going

up, but she currently has under 6,000.

The Blast is one of the best starter bikes you can buy for a woman or

shorter rider. I'll be happy to respond to e-mailed requests with

questions or to set up a time to see the bike.

Thanks.

"The Blast is one of the best starter bikes you can buy for a woman or

shorter rider. I'll be happy to respond to e-mailed requests with

questions or to set up a time to see the bike."

So am I to assume since you are 6'2 that you consider yourself a woman. :dunno:

Being one of the best starter bikes for women or shorter riders is a true statement.

That I'm 6'2 is also a true statement... But they are in no way related :)

Creative.....witty.... but stop being so self-conscious about the Buell. You are feeling a need to ridicule it by calling it a beginner bike or a woman's bike. I'd just state that it's an easy ride, forgiving, great fuel economy, etc.... A beginning rider is already too concerned about image. As a relatively experienced rider, I'd be more apt to buy a smaller bike like yours now then I would have as a new rider responding to the ad. Just my 1.85$. Otherwise, glws!

WAY too long. I lost interest after i read "Buell"

Bullet points of the facts. Miles, parts, contact #.

Don't write a book.

I wanted a longer post... There's too many one-liners on Craigslist... The kind of person who buys a Blast is one who's sitting down and thinking about what kind of bike they need as a shorter rider, or someone's wife/GF and he's teaching her to ride, or someone who used one in Harley's course. That kind of person will be discriminating and want as much info as possible...

Yes, I realize I'm generalizing, don't hate me for it!

I chose to leave off my contact number because I don't want to be spammed... anyone who's serious about spending 2K on a bike will take the time to e-mail me :)

In terms of length of post... I'm the salesman... The person has to buy ME, not just the BIKE, for me to get a sale :)

Thank you though, I appreciate the feedback!

Creative.....witty.... but stop being so self-conscious about the Buell. You are feeling a need to ridicule it by calling it a beginner bike or a woman's bike. I'd just state that it's an easy ride, forgiving, great fuel economy, etc.... A beginning rider is already too concerned about image. As a relatively experienced rider, I'd be more apt to buy a smaller bike like yours now then I would have as a new rider responding to the ad. Just my 1.85$. Otherwise, glws!

OOOohhh, forgot to put in the bit about 60 mpg!

As for the ridicule aspect, I'm just trying to "target" a certain demographic... Honestly, I really don't expect the bike to sell this fall... I'll probably end up keeping it until Spring, which is mostly OK, since I love riding.

As for "image," Hrm, maybe I should put in something about it being a standard, and sort-of fitting in with either a sportbike crowd or a cruiser crowd (Another way to say that is that it fits in with neither, completely! :))

I should mention the individuality of being a thumper, too.

Thanks!

OOOohhh, forgot to put in the bit about 60 mpg!

As for the ridicule aspect, I'm just trying to "target" a certain demographic... Honestly, I really don't expect the bike to sell this fall... I'll probably end up keeping it until Spring, which is mostly OK, since I love riding.

As for "image," Hrm, maybe I should put in something about it being a standard, and sort-of fitting in with either a sportbike crowd or a cruiser crowd (Another way to say that is that it fits in with neither, completely! :))

I should mention the individuality of being a thumper, too.

Thanks!

Mentioning gear tells me that you are mature. If you take the time to prevent injury, maybe you take the time to prevent mechanical issues.

I like it. I'm looking at a lot of CL adds right now looking for a bike and for me the more descriptive the better. My suggestion would be to talk more about the condition of your bike. Any damage, paint condition, scratches, dents, wear, etc.

Just my 2 cents!

I have to agree with those above - I've sold a lot of vehicles on craigslist (used to do it on the side when I worked at Nissan to make extra cas) and the most success I've had was - Year make model for sale. XXX miles. Special stuff: XXX. Email for more information or call XXX XXX XXXX.

Save that stuff yo have typed out - make that your response email. Also, I'm sure you've seen it, but spell out one or two of the numbers in your tele- keeps the robots from calling. And you'll get email spam. Don't worry, your penis really isn't so small that people have heard the rumors and are sending you info - you just posted on craigslist.

EDIT- Also - lots of good pictures. I know on the flip side, when I'm BUYING I want to see what I'm buying before I waste gas. And take new ones. I love the "Pics from 6 years go when I bought this car new - here's what's changed" ads.

Way. Too. Long. Listen to what the people are telling you. You're trying to sell a bike, not writing a blog. I've sold a lot of stuff online- in fact I've sold everthing I've ever put up to sell. Stick to the facts.

I put my # up on every cl ad. And I also sell LOTS of shit there. Never had a problem.

Just the facts ma'am. Talk about the bike only. No one is interested in your opinion of gear or when the best time to ride is. They are skimming your ad for details about the bike, not about fall leaves.

It's a moot point, now, since the ad's on line, but I mostly disagree with those who say ads should be real short. I agree your original was too wordy, and that talking about fall riding season is not effective at this stage of trying to sell something.

But when it comes to relatively big ticket items, more info is better. I sold both my wife's used car and my old pickup truck in less than 24 hours, at my asking price, on craigslist. Rented my house quickly too. People who say they "stopped reading at the word Buell" are people who don't want a Buell Blast. If you're thinking of spending a couple of thousand dollars on something you really want, you'll spend hours reading about it. Think about how much time we all waste reading about motorcycles we just dream about, even when we're not serious about buying.

And a new rider, such as your Blast target, needs MORE information, not less.

I use bullet points with all details, all maintenance done, every feature. Then I add about four photos, including closeups of any issues (scratches, rust). That way I have to field fewer calls from people asking questions because their questions are answered in the ad. It has worked for me.