ECTA Land Speed Coming to Wilmington, Ohio

Casper

I must get in touch with all the prepping rules of the ECTA and get going. First I want to see what I can do as I have it now, then play with gearing changes, and etc. Supposedly it's addicting trying to gain that extra mph at top end.

I hope Bill Warner shows here like he does many other places. I want to see him go 311mph! :bow:

Those first two licensing runs sound like a ton of fun on a bike. :rolleyes:

I wonder if banging off the rev limiter for three quarters of a mile would hurt anything.

In 2008 a 250 Ninja rode with 3 of us to Columbus and we forgot what a 250 motor was like and she said she was hitting the limiter constantly just to be cruising with us. :lol: I slowed it down 5mph when she told me because I'm a nice guy. :D No point to this story, you just made me remember this and it made me smile.:)

Guys I'm going to stick to posting my comments in the Intro thread... but thanks for the welcome.... Trust me.... this is one of the coolest events you will ever attend... racer or spectator....

Oh and Bill Warner is a close friend.... he'll be there.... spooky fast guys.... seriously...

K

I must get in touch with all the prepping rules of the ECTA and get going. First I want to see what I can do as I have it now, then play with gearing changes, and etc. Supposedly it's addicting trying to gain that extra mph at top end.

I hope Bill Warner shows here like he does many other places. I want to see him go 311mph! :bow:

http://www.dragbike.com/dbnews/anmviewer.asp?a=2596&z=3

read about brock and his zx-14 running an ECTA event :)

http://www.dragbike.com/dbnews/anmviewer.asp?a=2596&z=3

read about brock and his zx-14 running an ECTA event :)

I spoke to him personally after he hit the 200mph mark and he said the sound of the wind is a big difference just from 190-200. He said it was scary as hell and sounded like the end of the world. :lol: I believe him.

I wonder if banging off the rev limiter for three quarters of a mile would hurt anything.

I've always worked under the assumption that the rev limiter was there explicitly to make sure the idiot twisting the throttle COULDN'T hurt anything :D

The idea of just watching vehicles go by at 200 mph doesn't sound all that exciting to me, but for $10, I'll give it a chance.

I spoke to him personally after he hit the 200mph mark and he said the sound of the wind is a big difference just from 190-200. He said it was scary as hell and sounded like the end of the world. :lol: I believe him.
Ya I believe that.... I found around 175 to be scary as hell

Dont know about 190-200, but I'd love to find out!:D Do either of you notice wicked buffeting and some shuttering around 150? Then just past that everything smooths out up to say 170-180? Could be bad aero just from my size, or possibly a tire out of balance; but I can hardly read the gauges around 150 from the fairings shaking, so thats where I usually come off the throttle.....except a few times I stayed in it......but I can imagine it feels like forever between 180-200 because my brain was functioning at speeds well beyond what I was moving.......time slows down when your flying low

My tires are fairly new, and look good.....no signs of cupping that I can tell - I plan to tear it down this winter for some goodie installs so I'm going over everything and see if I can figure it out

Have you checked the torque on steering stem ? They have been known to be loose

No, havent checked the stem to see if thats the culprit but I would think it'd have to be pretty loose to cause a problem at all right? I know its at least snug because there isnt any shifting/popping in it when I grab a fistful of front brake, but whats the torque spec for the stem nuts?

I have a feeling its front tire related even though they are kind of new, front wheel bearings are smooth - no drag or hard spots in 'em, which puts me in the mindset its got to be an out of balance issue of some sort? Absolutely NO issues at any other speeds

• 5 weeks later...
No, havent checked the stem to see if thats the culprit but I would think it'd have to be pretty loose to cause a problem at all right? I know its at least snug because there isnt any shifting/popping in it when I grab a fistful of front brake, but whats the torque spec for the stem nuts?

I have a feeling its front tire related even though they are kind of new, front wheel bearings are smooth - no drag or hard spots in 'em, which puts me in the mindset its got to be an out of balance issue of some sort? Absolutely NO issues at any other speeds

haven't checked this thread in awhile the steering stem nut torque is 58ft/lb