My Autumn/"Winter" Redesign 2003 CBR600RR

Khymera-B

I've been redesigning my '03 6RR for the past two months now. Completion is coming to a close and I must say that I am anxious, to say the least. My first complete DIY on a single project. Everything, but the tire change has been done by me, bodywork (a 1st), etc. Complete parts summary will be included at finish.

This bike build actually came about between a Michigan fan in my family and my own ambition to produce a project. So I'll be ready before OSU vs M.

Now off to the pics

The Beginning

DSC_0603.jpg

The Photoshop

3674767618_e080dd6708_b-1-1.jpg

Final3.jpg

45min after the Photoshop

DSC_0902.jpg

Last week

6040017478610_ORIG-1.jpg

This week

DSC_0994.jpg

DSC_1002.jpg

DSC_0997.jpg

DSC_0987.jpg

DSC_0986.jpg

DSC_0985.jpg

DSC_0996.jpg

DSC_1004.jpg

DSC_1005.jpg

Edited by Khymera-B

Looks good so far - how are you doing the Block O? Paint or decal?

Red paint on the O, soft feel paint (velvet texture, matte finish) on the leaf(ves). Final decals for tail and opposing side are not set, but tail will be paint, some lower decals will be vinyl.

Edited by Khymera-B

Awesome cant wait to see the finished product. Thinking about trying to paint mine this winter. What kind of paint set up/process are you using?

I'm using a full service body shop, my cousin is the owner/operator and has done many custom jobs and bodywork in this area. Gorgeous work, he's been my guide. I hit the damaged plastics w/ the DA grinder, followed by 80gr. Fiberglassed the front turn signal portions (one side had a giant hole that looked like someone attempted to repair as well as other road rash on other places), Applied bondo, then mud. Re-80gr the fairing repair to level. Then scuffed all the plastics w/ 180 using the DA sander and used a red scotchbrite on the corners & any other remaining shiny areas, then primer. Next I'll either scuff the primer w/ 320 and apply sealant, and scuff again, or seal the primer and then scuff (whichever he says), but color application will follow, then clear, then another sanding and finish with painting the stencils, clearing them, sanding them, and then applying texture. ACTUALLY THE SEALANT IS OUT OF ORDER IN THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

All in all it adds up to tedious. Takes patience, hurry up and wait, lots of sanding pads, lots of elbow grease (even using DA's, and especially the scotchbrite), but it's not AS bad as it sounds. Requires attention and time for expected results. 4 colors = lots of paint for a small job, 1 quart urethane clear, 1 quart textured clear, + all hardners, fiberglass, catalyst, thinners, bondo, & mud or duraglass

Edited by Khymera-B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...