Lettuce discus the bmw r1200gsa

sturg

So after reading through and JOing a couple times to the Alaskan thread i started thinking about my next bike purchase( in a few years, but it helps to have an end goal when saving)!

It would be a set up for something like an alaskan ride.

I love my DR, but couldnt see doing that kind of mileage on it(which is fine...never indented it to stand up to a task like that).

SO then, does the r1200gsa(2008+) pretty much take the cake for a light dirt capable touring/adv bike?

What other bikes should be in this category?

Pro's, Con's, part availability, cost to maintain a bike "of the people" and over all experience?

I have no experience with this type of bike other than reading Ghost Rider last year. That being the case, I've always liked the GS models. The Yamaha Super Tenere gets solid reviews as well and costs substantially less than the Adventure version of the GS.

When I bought my bike, I had it narrowed down to the BMW 1200GS, Triumph Tiger, KTM 990, and the VStrom. I chose the Vee for the sole fact that parts are much more readily accessible in the states and there are Suzuki dealerships everywhere. I took ten random parts (radiator, front wheels, fork seals, oil filter, headlight, brake/clutch handles, etc) and shopped for each brand. For the Vee, I was able to find almost every part on my list available for overnight night delivery to Anchorage. That's what sold me.

BMW1200GSA seems to be the premium model for this type of ride (though I would hardly call it light :D)

Other models that are more than capable.

Vstrom (650 and 1000)

BMW F800GS

Triumph Tiger 800XC

Yamaha Super Tenere

KTM 990

There are a few others that are more road oriented with 17" wheels on the front.

I went for the Vstrom as they are available at prices far less than the other on the list and it is nearly as capable and atleast as reliable as any of the above.

However all of the other models have better suspension, more power, and are in general more sophisticated.

Craig

No one mentioned the KLR650? :(

KLR650 big gas tank, inexpensive, good highway speed, cheap parts (new or used), good offroad.

Vstrom (DL1000) Inexpensive, big gas tank, excellent highway speed, mid price parts, not good offroad because of low ground clearance.

Yamaha Super Tenere (two friends) mid priced, good offroad, good gas tank, excellent highway speed, parts still a bit hard to find, needs bash plate, lots of electronics to break.

Edited by buildit

I currently have a 1200GSA & really like it, but I might choose something else for an Alaskan trip. Something a little more simple & perhaps more robust, like a Wee-Strom.

Might be a little different if money is no object, but it is a little hard to toss a $20K machine down the highway.

Look at it this way.

BMW 1200 Adventure $20K+

Wee Strom, disposable Alaska version $8K

Wee Strom, shiny new one to replace the one you beat the hell out of in Alaska $8K

Trip money $4K

There, you have spent $20K either way. Would your adventure or experience be different on either bike? Perhaps.............is it worth the difference?

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I will be buying an S10 sometime in the next year or so. It is simply a killer machine.

One thing too many people have told me is that taking the Alaska highway is not an adventure. It is well paved, services are available and it is not much different than taking I-90 across South Dakota. There are lots of offroad routes in Alaska but getting to them is pretty simple, any car can do it.

Color me confused' date=' but did you suggest a WeeStrom can't make the roundtrip?[/quote']

No way, not in a million years. They are more durable, in many ways than a BMW GS....really.

I guess I just think you pretty much destroy whatever you ride up there. OK, perhaps not destroy, but put a serious hurt on.

My point was the Wee is so cheap you could ride it like you stole it, not worry about it too much and actually buy a new one when you got home and have money left over. :)

The KLR would be another bike on my short list. I sorta kinda have one of those too. The are fairly indestructible. The 650 Dakar is another favorite for RTW travelers, but they are really holding their price well. (2006 was last year for them)

Were I simply riding into alaska I'd take the V-strom. It did really well out west when I rode it to Yellowstone and Colorado fully loaded. Elevation change was no issue.

DSCN3773.jpg

My friends took a KLR 650 and Xr650 (in photo). Photo was taken at Steamboat Spring Lake after riding up a rally car route.

To clarify when I said light dirt capable I didn't mean "light, dirt capable" I meant "light dirt capable" as in fire roads, gravel roads. I want a bike I can ride to where ever and take a detour down a dirt road, jeep trail, what ever.

Speaking of Alaska.. I've been researching dual sport tires for the Multistrada. When the "Alaska: Epic Holy Shit That's A Lotta' Sore Ass" ride gets rescheduled.. I think I want to tag along.
That would be awesomesauce.
One thing too many people have told me is that taking the Alaska highway is not an adventure. It is well paved' date=' services are available[/b'] and it is not much different than taking I-90 across South Dakota. There are lots of offroad routes in Alaska but getting to them is pretty simple, any car can do it.
LULZ. I present Alaska SR11, aka The Dalton Highway:

20_4277544-Having-to-Share-the-Dalton-HIghway-1.jpg

truck-camper-dalton-highway_279.jpg

147838050_a7731259a7.jpg

992420539_9c372d9f2c.jpg

dalton09.jpg

To clarify when I said light dirt capable I didn't mean "light, dirt capable" I meant "light dirt capable" as in fire roads, gravel roads. I want a bike I can ride to where ever and take a detour down a dirt road, jeep trail, what ever.
The VStrom is more than capable. I've done it numerous times. And they're cheap cheap.

So ive been lurking craigslist, cycle trader, etc etc and have NOT been able to find much out there for used super tenere or the v storm 1000. The 650 looks great, but id like a bigger bike for a long ride

You should be able to find some Vstrom 1000s on the market. They were made between 2002 and 2009. However I don't think they sold in the quantities that the DL650 sold. The Super Tenere was just delivered to the first US customer about a month ago and those customers had to pre order the bike last winter. Not going to be many available and non for much under MSRP.

However I don't understand the "need" for a bigger bike. Body and frame the DL1000 and DL650 are nearly identical. And the DL650 has plenty of power.

:confused:

Craig

You should be able to find some Vstrom 1000s on the market. They were made between 2002 and 2009. However I don't think they sold in the quantities that the DL650 sold. The Super Tenere was just delivered to the first US customer about a month ago and those customers had to pre order the bike last winter. Not going to be many available and non for much under MSRP.

However I don't understand the "need" for a bigger bike. Body and frame the DL1000 and DL650 are nearly identical. And the DL650 has plenty of power.

:confused:

Craig

call it a security blanket. my 270lb body plus gear and supplies, Id like to have a litre under my ass.

Speaking of Alaska.. I've been researching dual sport tires for the Multistrada. When the "Alaska: Epic Holy Shit That's A Lotta' Sore Ass" ride gets rescheduled.. I think I want to tag along.

What kind of mileage and how many days would be involved in such a trip?

It would be some srs mileage. :eek:

Right. I now have a bike that could handle such a trip. Plus, I expect to be able to do overnight trips again starting next season.

+1 for the 616, or maybe even a Scorpion Sync depending on how far off pavement you plan to go.