Salvage ins. cost more than regular ins. ?

JStump

So I just called Geico about getting winter coverage so I could save some money and while on the phone I mentioned it had a salvage title, which I told the guy when I originally got the bike insured so I didn't think she would be surprised. She said that was not on my policy and that it would raise my rates by $90 a year because of it. I responded with "that has to be a mistake, why would a bike that is worth LESS cost MORE to insure?" She said it was because it was already wrecked once and it was "more likely to crash" to which I replied "Thats absolutely ridiculous!" I figured I was paying less this whole time because my bike is worth less, but apparently I have it completely backwards. What do you guys think about this?

does anyone know if the insurance looks at titles when you wreck a bike? Because the agent said to get the value of the bike they look at NADA and local dealership values of the same bike and value it off that but said they don't usually request titles or anything which I thought was odd so I may just say the hell with it and leave it as a non salvage title if thats the case.

does anyone know if the insurance looks at titles when you wreck a bike? Because the agent said to get the value of the bike they look at NADA and local dealership values of the same bike and value it off that but said they don't usually request titles or anything which I thought was odd so I may just say the hell with it and leave it as a non salvage title if thats the case.

they have the VIN - it should show automatically

either way, i would get it changed...90 dollars a year isnt very much at all, and it will save you the headache of getting a claim rejected when/if you need it

a lot of bikes are total loss claims when they go down - so if they go to total the bike out, they are definitely going to notice whether its clean title or not, theyre not going to blindly buy it and pay you retail, because they will be taking over the title in the event of a total loss

Edited by Steve Butters

thats all on you man....goodluck in whatever you do, but if it was me - i wouldnt want to risk my bike over $7.50 per month

its only liability right now, I was only concerned with possibly going to comprehensive because I am really paranoid about theft, so being only liability I really don't give a shit if they catch me with a salvage title because I am not getting any money out of it anyways.

its only liability right now, I was only concerned with possibly going to comprehensive because I am really paranoid about theft, so being only liability I really don't give a shit if they catch me with a salvage title because I am not getting any money out of it anyways.

sounds like you already have your answer then - but on a theft claim dont be surprised if they have an issue with you not disclosing the title status

yeah, I was just very confused on how they could justify charging more for a bike that is worth half as much!

yea that part doesnt make any sense.

have you shopped around?

try progressive - they gave the best rates for me

and goodluck if you ever have to file a claim with geico - theyre the shittiest insurance company ive ever dealt with

heres my broker

http://www.prolinkinsurance.com/

call them and ask for Sara - she will take care of you, best insurance rep i have ever dealt with. nice part is she doesnt tattle tale about stuff, so if you ask her questions about title status she wont report it to insurance unless you request....i had a question about something that would raise my rates and she didnt turn me over, and my rates stayed the same ... im happy with them

Edited by Steve Butters

yea that part doesnt make any sense.

have you shopped around?

yeah, and thats WHY I went to Geico! They were the lowest on my bike and car combined and I clearly stated the bike was a salvage to every place I looked. I know I did because some places don't even want to insure a salvage bike.

yeah, and thats WHY I went to Geico! They were the lowest on my bike and car combined and I clearly stated the bike was a salvage to every place I looked. I know I did because some places don't even want to insure a salvage bike.

heres a trick

when dealing with insurance companies, stop saying "salvage"...start saying "rebuilt"....i had issues with people not knowing what you mean and just putting in salvage, which no insurance company will cover a salvage title...theres a difference in salvage and rebuilt salvage...start saying rebuilt and try back to the places who said they wont cover it

i had this problem with grange "sorry we dont cover salvage vehicles, only rebuilt" "oh...it is rebuilt" "why didnt you say so?"

one of those things that should be obvious, but not everybody gets it when you call those places lol

heres a trick

when dealing with insurance companies, stop saying "salvage"...start saying "rebuilt"....i had issues with people not knowing what you mean and just putting in salvage, which no insurance company will cover a salvage title...theres a difference in salvage and rebuilt salvage...start saying rebuilt and try back to the places who said they wont cover it

i had this problem with grange "sorry we dont cover salvage vehicles, only rebuilt" "oh...it is rebuilt" "why didnt you say so?"

one of those things that should be obvious, but not everybody gets it when you call those places lol

This ^^^ is a HUGE problem when dealing with selling a rebuilt salvage vehicle, as well.

This sounds like the issue I had with our rates going up when Progressive found out about the no-fault accident my wife was in. It wasn't her fault, a truck smashed into the back of her stopped car, waiting for the light to change at the bottom of an off ramp. They go on probability. They say that it's more likely (more risk for them) that she could be in an accident again than myself that hasn't been in an accident, or filed a claim in many years. I get it, but it doesn't really make much sense to me.

and goodluck if you ever have to file a claim with geico - theyre the shittiest insurance company ive ever dealt with

I just had to make a claim with Geico a couple months ago when my truck was broken into and it couldn't have been any easier.

This ^^^ is a HUGE problem when dealing with selling a rebuilt salvage vehicle, as well.

This sounds like the issue I had with our rates going up when Progressive found out about the no-fault accident my wife was in. It wasn't her fault, a truck smashed into the back of her stopped car, waiting for the light to change at the bottom of an off ramp. They go on probability. They say that it's more likely (more risk for them) that she could be in an accident again than myself that hasn't been in an accident, or filed a claim in many years. I get it, but it doesn't really make much sense to me.

Well that's different, she was in an accident, granted it was not her fault, but I wasn't in an accident. I just bought a salvage bike.

Also, is there a different between salvage and rebuilt in Ohio? Because my title says salvage I believe. Should I try to get this changed to rebuilt?

salvage means it is wrecked and has not been inspected.

you cannot get tags, you cannot get insurance, and it is a felony to operate it on the street.

every now and then they will slip through the cracks (my vmax was salvage and my dad had tags and insurance on it for 11 years)...soon as i took it over and went to register it they told me no and that it needed to be inspected

i dont own anything rebuilt at the moment, so i forget for sure if it says Rebuilt or Rebuilt Salvage - but it wont just say Salvage

if your title says "Salvage" then you need to schedule an inspection ASAP because it is a felony charge to ride it with that title status

salvage means it is wrecked and has not been inspected.

you cannot get tags, you cannot get insurance, and it is a felony to operate it on the street.

every now and then they will slip through the cracks (my vmax was salvage and my dad had tags and insurance on it for 11 years)...soon as i took it over and went to register it they told me no and that it needed to be inspected

i dont own anything rebuilt at the moment, so i forget for sure if it says Rebuilt or Rebuilt Salvage - but it wont just say Salvage

if your title says "Salvage" then you need to schedule an inspection ASAP because it is a felony charge to ride it with that title status

Oh damn! I need to check my title when I get home!

Can they deny the liabilty claim if they find out you withheld information to make your rates lower?

lol of course it is. you have plates right?

if it had not been inspected, they wouldnt have given you plates.

not true.

my vmax had plates on it - it was totalled with 300 miles on it brand new in 1997 and my dad rode it until 2009 with valid plates and registration and a "Salvage" title - no inspection. bike had 17k miles on it when i got it inspected, and the salvage title said 300 miles. It had been so long, and so many miles they didnt even give me a hassle about not having any receipts.

i can snap a picture of the license plate with 2009 tags, and Max Power can vouch for me on the title status because he took it to the inspection with me.

like I said - sometimes it slips through the cracks and goes unnoticed. my dad just renewed his stuff through the mail and nobody ever caught on - not sure about his insurance because he bought the bike back from them - maybe when he called to renew the insurance they just assumed it was rebuilt, dont know

when my dad passed away and i took over the bike, they then informed me that i cant get tags without an inspection, and the woman repeatedly told me that my dad committed a felony by riding it all those years....i told her i really dont think he cares at this point...dumb bitch lol

Edited by Steve Butters