custom bike builders in columbus?

Hoblick

now most of you know i do my own work on my bikes, and have done everything on my street glide.

well since i put the 21" wheel on having the stock rear jsut kept bugging me.

so i ordered a matching rear wheel but instead of running the stock size (16x3.5) i went with a different size... the most common size touring guys run in a custom wheel on my year bike... which is an 18 x 4.25

when purchasing the wheel i figured it would be a bolt on deal... i was wrong.

aparantly the company i bought from do there wheels a bit different.

and custom spacers need to be made and installed to properly fit the wheel

i tried my hand at it and after two 4 hour long sessions in the garage trying to figure this damn thing out, im over it.

im gonna take it somewhere and have them find out what spacers it needs and make them and get the damn wheel on.

which leads to my question... what custom bike shops are there in columbus?

the only one i know of is sinners and saints in reynoldsburg

House of Rides in Newark has done a lot of charity work with ORDN over the last two years with Roll on Columbis and the Buckeye bike giveaway with OSU.

Casper prolly has a contact there.

Isn't there one right beside Iron Pony as well.

I used to work with the owners of Sinners & Saints. They were "security" at a bar. However, last time I was in their shop they weren't very organized, and were rude. Good Luck.

For wheel spacers you shouldn't need to take it to a bike shop, just have a machine shop make the spacers.

Do you have a set of dial calipers? Measure your stock spacers, stock wheel width at the machined face of the hub, and new wheel, and distance between the axle adjusters. Do a little math to keep the wheel centered, Make sure the pulley and brake rotor are the same distance from the centerline of the new wheel as the old wheel, have some spacers turned up and you're done. Shouldn't cost much at all if you can figure out what sizes you need. If the wider wheel still allows you to use factory brake hardware, and doesn't require an offset pulley, it shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Got any pictures of the parts? As long as this new wheel has the same bearings as the old wheel and fits on the axle, calculating spacer widths shouldn't be a big deal.

For wheel spacers you shouldn't need to take it to a bike shop, just have a machine shop make the spacers.

Do you have a set of dial calipers? Measure your stock spacers, stock wheel width at the machined face of the hub, and new wheel, and distance between the axle adjusters. Do a little math to keep the wheel centered, Make sure the pulley and brake rotor are the same distance from the centerline of the new wheel as the old wheel, have some spacers turned up and you're done. Shouldn't cost much at all if you can figure out what sizes you need. If the wider wheel still allows you to use factory brake hardware, and doesn't require an offset pulley, it shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Got any pictures of the parts? As long as this new wheel has the same bearings as the old wheel and fits on the axle, calculating spacer widths shouldn't be a big deal.

the wheel will fit on the bike, i have put it on and tried my hand at it like i said.

my issue is im having pulley clearance issues. it seems as if when i get belt tension on it, i spin the wheel , pulley clears and then it binds up against the swing arm in a certain spot.

ive tried shimming it over some and it still does the same thing. i dont have much room to shim it over though cause then the rotor will bind in the caliper, also the tire will rub the fender on the caliper side. its a tight fit to get everything in there, but it should fit.. and by should fit i mean that there are a ton of guys running an 18x 4.25 rim with the same width tire that im running.

so im assuming there is an issue some where where the axel is getting angled or something.

im just over messing with it to be honest.

Thought you were selling the 21 front, you said they were only good for driving back and forth to the bars?:D My buddy Fred owns a metal fab shop, let me know if you need some spacers or anything else I could maybe do to help ya? I rode about 250 miles today down in Hocking and Perry, it was windy as shit!!

Brian

Thought you were selling the 21 front, you said they were only good for driving back and forth to the bars?:D My buddy Fred owns a metal fab shop, let me know if you need some spacers or anything else I could maybe do to help ya? I rode about 250 miles today down in Hocking and Perry, it was windy as shit!!

Brian

after going back to the 18" wheel i really didnt feel that much less in handling..

i have had that 21 on for so long i just didnt remember how the 18" wheel felt.

so yeha i went back to the 21, bike looks much better with it lol

after going back to the 18" wheel i really didnt feel that much less in handling..

i have had that 21 on for so long i just didnt remember how the 18" wheel felt.

so yeha i went back to the 21, bike looks much better with it lol

Yes that is a sweet wheel.....be sure to let me know if you need for me to talk to my fab-shop buddy?