alright. i'm getting a gun for christmas. advise me. :-)

RSparky

I decided I'm getting myself the bixeonon projectors and a small pistol for christmas.

I'll be getting a ccw sometime after christmas, after i make sure I'm comfortable with myself. kinda a big deal for me, as i've only ever held a gun once before. it was one of my mom's boyfriend's competition rifles with a 10 lb butt.

Anywho, If I'm eventually going to carry, I want it to be small and light. It'd go in my bike bag (assuming that's allowable. if not, then elsewhere.) But for the time being, I just want it in the sex drawer by the bed. I know I want it to be able to stop someone, but I also don't want it to intimidate me. Also don't want to pay a fortune for it or its ammo. I think 9mm should encompass all that? If i'm mistaken, please enlighten me. Also, I don't mind taking things apart, but I'd rather not be trying to fix it. Something simple, and reliable. Accuracy isn't as important, as I don't expect to be needing to snipe anybody. If I'm being threatened, they'll be next to me, and ease of drawing and firing would be my only concern. By small, I mean Beretta Nano small. But not Nano price. I don't have a small penis complex, so I don't need a big gun.

But, this is all speculations of an admitted ignorant newb.

There are so many types and brands of guns and ammo out there, I don't even know where to start. That's where I would like a good shove in the right direction... Thanks for reading.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9mm is a great first gun IMO because its pretty cheap to shoot and the more you shoot the more comfortable you will get. Thats my experience at least

I started out with a cheap S&W Sigma because it was a cheap decently reliable 9mm to break myself into the gun world. Because of the price, they are pretty easy to sell when you get bored with it and want something much better to carry with. I sold mine in order to carry my Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact. I can carry it but its a tad bulky for summertime since I'm a big guy and its harder to conceal

I've also had good experiences with my roommate S&W M&P9c. Love that gun! Best way to do is either go to the nearest range and rent a whole bunch of different kinds to see what you like best or connect with some people here to try what they have. I was in your same position 2 years ago as an absolute noob that knew little to nothing

I'd say youre at a good starting point with 9mm. Thats really the hardest part of picking a gun for me. Id say go with a Taurus 709 or Millenium Pro 9mm they are small enough to carry but big enough to shoot at the range frequently. It has a larger grip so your whole hand can fit on the grip. Important to me. I carry a Taurus 738. Its too small to make it an only gun but a great warm weather CCW gun. They can both be had for about $375. Im a Taurus advocate but they are inexpensive, quality guns.

There are a lot of great carry guns out there I would love to have a Sig Sauer 238 but they are about $500..

i looked at the storm actually. by "looked at" i mean, "clicked on pictures and said, 'oooohhhh'. "

when i think of pistols, i think of beretta, but there are others. i just don't know what is good or not.

honestly, that and the fact its Italian is exactly why I bought it. Never even picked one up or shot it when I ordered it. Couldn't have asked for a better "blind buy" persay

It is a bit bulky and heavy for a subcompact, but I got used to it pretty quickly

just tried to look up rotating barrel, and fell on my face. all the other forums have this other language in them... it's hard to understand... lmao.

you mean it rotates the bullet as it slides through? i thought that was in all guns after we stopped shooting balls at each other?

gonna look up those other suggestions in a bit. differential equations final tomorrow, and lurking here and reddit has already killed my study time.

Go look at some and hold them in person. Get something quality first and keep it. Talk to the people at the shop see what they recommend come back post it up here so we can tell you why they are stupid. I also recommend 9mm as it is cheaper to shoot and you need to practice.

just tried to look up rotating barrel, and fell on my face. all the other forums have this other language in them... it's hard to understand... lmao.

you mean it rotates the bullet as it slides through? i thought that was in all guns after we stopped shooting balls at each other?

gonna look up those other suggestions in a bit. differential equations final tomorrow, and lurking here and reddit has already killed my study time.

I wish I could find the post where shadyone explained to me the difference but I can't recall the thread. I had no idea what it meant until he explained it to me. Honestly, I haven't shot that many guns but personally it doesn't seem to be any less accurate than my skills allow for. Through probably 500ish rounds, I've only had 1 malfunction with it but I blame the shit ammo more than the gun

I have learned alot in the last year and half.

Going from zero knowledge ( ask Likwid) to comfortable in making purchases.

Have you decided if you want a revolver or a semi-auto?

A note on rental range guns, probably depends on each range, but most guns I rented at Stonewall did not function very well. I suspect the guns were not cleaned often or constantly rented, so you may not truely get a fel for how a certain model may function.

If you are looking for nano small the ruger lc9 or the sr9c would be something to also look into. Really getting your hand on as many firearms before you buy one is the way to go. Go to gun stores and bother the hell out of the counter guys. Ask to see every gun in the store. Then leave think about it and then go back and so it over again until you find one you think will be best for you.

This sounds like it going to be sweet gun but I have yet to find a store that has one. It is smaller than the kel-tec pf9 and the lc9 but an ounce or two heavier. Have you seen one some where?

77774.jpg

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2011/11/03/review-beretta-nano/

another gun I want. This and the Sig P238 are tied for the next gun I have to have

If you are going go with glock I recommend going with 40. Ill have a thread about it coming shortly and it will make sense. I have been looking for a 9mm but i found out some interesting facts in my research.

I agree but I put the 26 out there because he was looking for 9mm personally if going glock I'd go for the 30 or 36 unless you want to be different like me then go for 39 but .45 gets kinda hard on the wallet.

The db9 is another one and it's tiny there have been some issues with it and some mixed reviews but from everything I've found diamondback stands behind their products 100%

I have the DB380 that also has mixed reviews. I think it is an awesome little gun and has me leaning toward the DB9... If the Nano does not come out soon I will get the DB9

The best thing to do is get out and handle the guns go to the area shops and shows keep looking and handling different ones until you find the one that fits you. Another thing you want to take into consideration is if there are a variety of holsters available for the gun your looking at.