alright. i'm getting a gun for christmas. advise me. :-)

RSparky

I have the DB380 that also has mixed reviews. I think it is an awesome little gun and has me leaning toward the DB9... If the Nano does not come out soon I will get the DB9

A lot of the poor reviews on the db9 I imagine are people using cheap shit ammo like he suggests in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvokdjuKM3k

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could find the post where shadyone explained to me the difference but I can't recall the thread. I had no idea what it meant until he explained it to me. Honestly, I haven't shot that many guns but personally it doesn't seem to be any less accurate than my skills allow for. Through probably 500ish rounds, I've only had 1 malfunction with it but I blame the shit ammo more than the gun

There are three kinds of Pistols..

Fixed barrel (ie Desert Eagle) where the barrel never moves.

Tilting barrel (most pistols fall here) where when the slide is cocked or a round is fired the end of the barrel tilts up to allow a easier angle for the next bullet to slide into the barrel

And Now the Storm which is the only pistol I know of with a rotating barrel. It works on a cam system and the barrel itself actually rotates about a 1/4 turn when the slide moves rearward. and tilts up. This does also helps with recoil management as it takes effort to rotate the barrel.

I think what you are confused with Sparky is Barrel Rifling. which spins the bullet as it moves through the barrel.

Two schools of thought:

1). Rent/borrow until you find the perfect gun.

2). Buy something and learn to use it perfectly.

Don't stress about calibre, but ammo prices and availability should be considered. And don't buy cheap. You'll spend more down the road.

couple more questions. if i were to buy a gun, in order to transport it, the ammo has to be in a separate compartment, right? like gun in trunk, box in seat.

how much would you estimate a day of firing eh, 100 rounds per rental gun, and probably renting 3-6 pistols? just to feel them out i guess. i made these numbers up as they seem normal ish.

My first was an xd9 service model. I have since switched to 40 and I'm considering a glock 27 even though I'm not a glock fan as its smaller than the xd subcompact. I need to see a few other sub compact 40 or 45's. I'm looking for a BUG still. I'm not a fan of safeties on my carry gun especially ones you flip up. I say feel a bunch to narrow your search and then rent or borrow the models.

couple more questions. if i were to buy a gun, in order to transport it, the ammo has to be in a separate compartment, right? like gun in trunk, box in seat.

true, unless you have CCW, then i believe it just has to be out of reach from anyone else in the vehicle

If you were planning on doing it all in one day its like 6-8 per gun and you could probably tell with less than 50 through each if you liked it. If you really dont like it you can tell in the first mag. If you really like it you can tell in the first mag too though.

and i know there are multiple brands of ammo, and apparently some guns "like" some ammo more than others... what's a good cheap but reliable kind of 9mm ammo?

I've just used the cheap Remington 9mm in both my guns as well as my roommates M&P with no problems with any. My roommate uses Blazer, the even cheaper Blazer with the eagle on the box and reloads from his dad and not a single issue through his M&P. My sigma wasn't picky at all but the Beretta doesn't much like the Eagle shit as thats the only one I've had not fire on me and that was only 1 out of about 15 I used

Depending on your time frame and how long the sale goes for I would just make a trip down to Vances/Buckeye Outdoors or buy online and get the Springfield XD subcompact 9mm for $389. For the money you can beat it and its been proven to be a reliable gun.

No, there is no law that says that, it's an urban myth. The only law is if you don't have your CHL, yes CHL not CCW, then the gun cannot be loaded. That means no rounds in the firearm, magazines even if they aren't in the gun, or speed loaders.

CHL= Concealed Handgun License

CCW= Concealed Carry Weapon

You can't shoot cast reload in a glock if I remember correctly, but other than that you should be good. I find some ammo more accurate than others but I've had few problems out of any ammo other than there is a brand or two of 22 I stay away from. Also some ammo.is drier than other for instance wolf or brown bear ate very dirty in my opinion.

I have a xd service and sub compact in 9mm both quality guns. I also have a little pocket gun in .380 for summer carry. I am looking to replace my taurus .380 with the ruger lc9. If you are looking at the nano it is close in size to that gun but not as much money. Go to a shop or a gun show and pick and handle a bunch of guns. Then rent the ones you like best. Better to try them out and see if you like them before you buy one.

Depending on your time frame and how long the sale goes for I would just make a trip down to Vances/Buckeye Outdoors or buy online and get the Springfield XD subcompact 9mm for $389. For the money you can beat it and its been proven to be a reliable gun.

Woodbury in Coshocton has a better selection, is cheaper and less crowded.

First gun? 9mm Ruger P-series.

1911 Taurus 9mm.

That is just me. For "your" first gun.

I am leery of those that run out and get a CCW and then purchase a pistol and start carrying. But, have really never owned a handgun before that. Too many "newb" mistakes to be learned.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

No, there is no law that says that, it's an urban myth. The only law is if you don't have your CHL, yes CHL not CCW, then the gun cannot be loaded. That means no rounds in the firearm, magazines even if they aren't in the gun, or speed loaders.

CHL= Concealed Handgun License

CCW= Concealed Carry Weapon

The magazines can be loaded if they have a lid on them correct?

Compact S&W M&P 9mm.

I would be fine carrying it. My girl wants her CCW so we talked about different pistol models, calibers,etc (no names) and then went and let her try a bunch out. My guess was that she was going to like the M&P 9mm the best. Well after trying about 6 different pistols she said, I like this one the best. I started laughing and she asked "Is that the one you thought I would like of which I replied yep."