Buying a used bike that has a lein on it

Harb67

I'd definitely give this one a miss.

HOWEVER...

When I sold my bike I couldn't get the title notarized without a seller. The guy came to my house, checked out the bike, I had a bill of sale printed up (two copies) we both signed both. I got cash, he got the bike. He filled his name in on the title (no lien) and I had it notarized the next day and mailed it to him.

Not having the title in your hand as you leave is not a dealbreaker for me - but you MUST check out the title, compare the VIN.

Only the owner (both, if joint) can signed the title - and it must be notarized in his (or their) presence. If the title is in Mr.Iraq's name then no dice - the bike cannot be sold to you without a notarized power of attorney. Lien + seller not present = No thanks.

Can you confirm the police officer's identity? Get a name and dept and call the dept (using a number you find yourself, not one he gives you)

EDIT: RUN AWAY. If the bike has a lien on it then he can't transfer into his wife's name... I've tried that. Doesn't work. Tried to transfer vanity from my old taurus to my newer maxima but the dealership screwed up the maxima paperwork and put the loan/title/registration in just my wife's name instead of joint names. Plate was joint names, new car was her name only - the BMV couldn't transfer the plate. The loan company would not let me add myself to the title. Finally just surrendered the vanity plate at the BMV with my wife there and they registered the plate to my wife only, which matched the new car.

Edited by Scruit

Is the seller a regular on the forum where you found it? Maybe some of the other members can help you with that. I have met enough people on this forum to know who knows whe, and most forums are that way, and most people know at least a couple other members in real life, on most forums.