Why the post office is going bankrupt.

Casper

I ordered a textbook online last week. Here's what the tracking number tells me:

Picked Up by Shipping Partner, 2011-11-09, 14:24:00, COLUMBUS, OH, 43228

Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, 2011-11-09, 19:40:00, HEBRON, KY, 41048

Shipment Accepted, 2011-11-11, 19:15:00, COLUMBUS, OH, 43218

Arrival at Post Office, 2011-11-14, 07:59:00, PICKERINGTON, OH, 43147

I bought it from Half-Priced Books, which is here in Columbus. It left the westside of Columbus, and was sent to freaking Kentucky, then back up to Columbus, then to Pickerington. It would've been cheaper to have someone personally drive it to my house. It's only 25 miles. But there you go. The post office wants a federal bailout. I think there might be some other cost cutting measures they might be able to take. :nono:

Picked Up by Shipping Partner, 2011-11-09, 14:24:00, COLUMBUS, OH, 43228

It's possible they use a thrid-party shipping system (Stamps.com, etc) that routes their mail through a regional hub. It may be cheaper in the long run to send the very small amount of orders that ship to a local buyer (who is too lazy to drive to the other side of town :p) along with other shipments than to split up the shipment. It's all large scale logistics. The Post Office just needs to re-evaluate its business model. It's costs are too high to support its income - there are two ways to solve this, neither of which is very good, but one of which or a little of both need to be done.

UPS/FedEx make money because they simply don't have the overhead that the USPS does - nowhere near as many locations and their core business is the logistics of moving packages, not in posting them. My thoughts? Smaller, single employee Post Offices in grocery stores and/or business stores, like UPS. More online business - the Priority Mail business is fairly well developed. And at some point, we need to eliminate paper mail. It's simply antiquated in our society. The fact you can send a piece of paper across the country for $0.50 or so is simply not economically self supporting anymore. *sigh* Who know's what the answer is...

:lol: and I thought Yellow was the only company moronic enough to do such a thing

I can't tell you how many times I'd look at the shipping receipt to figure out which trailer I needed to get it on and off our dock just to laugh and think "why the hell is this going there, makes no sense"

I ordered a textbook online last week. Here's what the tracking number tells me:

I bought it from Half-Priced Books, which is here in Columbus. It left the westside of Columbus, and was sent to freaking Kentucky, then back up to Columbus, then to Pickerington. It would've been cheaper to have someone personally drive it to my house. It's only 25 miles. But there you go. The post office wants a federal bailout. I think there might be some other cost cutting measures they might be able to take. :nono:

Package Services

Out for Delivery

November 14' date=' 2011, 9:13 am

COLUMBUS, OH 43232

[b']Expected Delivery By:

November 14, 2011

Delivery Confirmation™

Sorting Complete

November 14, 2011, 9:03 am

COLUMBUS, OH 43232

Arrival at Post Office

November 14, 2011, 8:15 am

COLUMBUS, OH 43232

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

November 13, 2011, 10:44 pm

COLUMBUS, OH 43218

November 12, 2011, 10:10 pm

LOUISVILLE, KY 40231

November 08, 2011, 7:27 am

CINCINNATI, OH 45235

November 07, 2011, 2:56 pm

CINCINNATI, OH 45235

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility

November 03, 2011, 2:55 am

FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003

Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility

November 03, 2011, 2:55 am

FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003

Electronic Shipping Info Received

November 01, 2011

Shipment Accepted

November 01, 2011, 1:38 pm

MEDFORD, OR 97501

This is my package that was coming from Oregon and it sat in Cincinnati for 3-4 days then headed to Kentucky then back up to Columbus. :wtf:

It's possible they use a thrid-party shipping system (Stamps.com, etc) that routes their mail through a regional hub. It may be cheaper in the long run to send the very small amount of orders that ship to a local buyer (who is too lazy to drive to the other side of town :p) along with other shipments than to split up the shipment. It's all large scale logistics. The Post Office just needs to re-evaluate its business model. It's costs are too high to support its income - there are two ways to solve this, neither of which is very good, but one of which or a little of both need to be done.

UPS/FedEx make money because they simply don't have the overhead that the USPS does - nowhere near as many locations and their core business is the logistics of moving packages, not in posting them. My thoughts? Smaller, single employee Post Offices in grocery stores and/or business stores, like UPS. More online business - the Priority Mail business is fairly well developed. And at some point, we need to eliminate paper mail. It's simply antiquated in our society. The fact you can send a piece of paper across the country for $0.50 or so is simply not economically self supporting anymore. *sigh* Who know's what the answer is...

Pickup wasn't an option, or I would've most certainly done that instead. I need it for a class I'm currently taking.

thats just how it works. its called a hub and spoke system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoke-hub_distribution_paradigm

everything goes through the hub, unless its time critical. if it's time critical, then you would have chosen priority or overnight and it can go spoke to spoke.

its not really a waste, because that truck was going to kentucky with or without your package. its not like they made a special trip just for that package.

USPS handles more than 500 million pieces of mail every day, im sure they've figured out what works, and know what they are doing lol.

in the early days, fedex used to ship EVERYTHING through memphis. if you shipped standard from philly to NYC, it would go from philly to memphis, then from memphis to NYC. again, this is for standard shipping. if you ship overnight, then it can go straight from philly to NYC. nowadays they have a lot more hubs (there's one in grove city) though, so not everything goes through memphis.

heres an animation showing fedex's hub and spoke system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzsXqawswPc&feature=player_embedded

Edited by John