Lettuce discuss motersycle Batteries

max power

I have sworn off cheaply built Walmart batteries with no warranty and started using the fine Batteries+ batteries in my bikes with their whopping 3 month warranty.

Yesterday after cutting out the swingarm on my Warrior (story for another thread) I decided to see what the deal with the electrical system was. Battery showing 13v, lights bright, hit starter, click battery voltage drops to nothing. Shit. smack starter just to make sure its not locked up. try again. nothing.

POS battery apparently has dropped a cell. :cry:

Does anyone sell a decent motorcycle battery? I'm getting tired of buying new batteries for my bikes every year.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.batterystuff.com sells AGM batteries. one for my bike is $55. agm has a very low self discharge rate. they're the best choice in batteries for vehicles. gel cell batteries are tempermental with charging and require a special charger. in other words just don't bother with a gel cell battery.

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery_gel_agm.html

agm batteries can sit without a charge for over a year.

Edited by serpentracer

www.batterystuff.com sells AGM batteries. one for my bike is $55. agm has a very low self discharge rate. they're the best choice in batteries for vehicles. gel cell batteries are tempermental with charging and require a special charger. in other words just don't bother with a gel cell battery.

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery_gel_agm.html

agm batteries can sit without a charge for over a year.

That's more like it. Might have to see if they have one for the FZ since it currently has an emergency walmart acid battery....mounted on its side....from 2 seasons ago.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/manufacturer/558-CC/Motorcycle-Batteries.aspx

There are a couple of these stores in my area. We bought all our batteries fron them at work we have nevedr had an issue.

See original post. Not happy with their junk batteries or lousy warranty.

I picked up one of the new lightweight batteries Ballistic 4-cell batteries that Rider's Discount carries. Contact Nate or Mike and they can get you a price on one, you would be amazed how much of a difference there is, and they have a 3 year warranty.

I picked up one of the new lightweight batteries Ballistic 4-cell batteries that Rider's Discount carries. Contact Nate or Mike and they can get you a price on one, you would be amazed how much of a difference there is, and they have a 3 year warranty.

I would get the 8 cell for street use though.

Yuasa, and Yuasa has a couple of "house" brands that they also make.

I wish all motorcycle batteries were still made in Japan, but I doubt that.

The cheapest brand AGM that I would consider is probably Scorpion.

No matter what, the AGM batteries are the way to go. Resists vibration and they have that low discharge rate. Gel didn't catch on, it had problems, and lead-acid is currently an antique that doesn't perform in comparison.

AGM is called "dry", because it's basically wet soaked fiber between plates. No real fluid. AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat. Do not discharge an AGM battery more than 60%.

edit: batterystuff.com is a decent website. Looks like no junk sold.

WebBikeWorld has an article on batteries:

Motorcycle Battery - Maintenance Free Battery Installation

Motorcycle Batteries and Chargers

btw, my 2002 919 battery is 9 years old... it failed to start last week after sitting for a week or two. But still...

Edited by ReconRat