Moto Series 2012 Schedule: Must Read!!

APCh8r

see the next post below that, i didn't feel like editing.

Nicks right, a lot of us run Pures and are fine. You get a sighting lap so that should be good to warm up on. Plus they don't drop temps too far as the AM/PM "hot laps" or practice sessions aren't that far away.

This year will be my first year running warmers but I ran 1 race last season with out. I only had 1-2 times last season that I felt warmers would have been really needed. Both at Grattan.

don't worry too much about a genny just yet. Being from the OR group, there will be plenty of available plugs if you ask around ahead of time and chip in a few bucks for gas.

hell ill pay for all the gas for the day if someone let me use a plug for a set or warmers!

I will be at almost every round for races and have a two person genny. Second slot is first come for the most part unless I'm saving it for someone making a special trip. I will be hit or miss for Saturday TD/practices depending on how much time I can get off work and tire situation.

As for doing both Saturday and Sunday...it depends for me. If you race Sunday, the Saturday trackday is discounted... So I might skip the morning session and just do the afternoon to save energy. Or if I'm familiar with the track I'll just show up Sunday and race.

We usually have posts in the Trackday/Race section for headcounts. From there just ask about whos going and if they have spare room/generator/etc.

Edited by SJC1000rr

STT only sells michelin, Motoseries will have bstones, dunlop, and pirelli. Todd is the pirelli rep for motoseries. Yes, you have to get race tires at the track. I know pirelli is super strict on this and get pissed if a dealer calls for them and they are not approved to sell them.

Yes they will be. MS has several dealers normally, Pirelli, Dunlop, Mich, they were all there LAST year, not sure if they are all still planning on this season too.

Also you can find them on STG. Power Race's. Like 327 a set. I dunno what your status is experience wise but if you haven't done race school, lots of track days etc. then you should save your coin up front and run more track days before dumping a ton of cash into warmers and race tires, etc. Trust me on this. I did over 12 track days or something before doing race school and running a race to lose my provisional status and I am still slow.

Edit, I am NOT talking about full race tires/slicks, I am talking about like Power One's sorry for confusion. Go with what Blue said, he knows more than I do lol.

Edited by madcat6183
Update

I think STG just sells the street versions. You can get the michelins from sportbike tire service. If you want bstones you can order them from mizemobile (Quinten) and he can ship them or you can pick them up at motoseries events. Todd would be the one to contact on pirelli. I don't know the dunlop guys name, KTM-Brian might have that info and I don't know if they sell other than trackside.

ok here is my predicament. i have a fresh set of Q2s ready to go this season but have been told that it is not a good idea to race with Q2s, especially without warmers. i plan on racing this year after a trackday or 2 then race school. i am sure i am over stressing about this, but i am thinking about just not racing this season anymore anyway.

edit: and madcat, when you say you are still "slow", what are some of your average lap times at motoseries tracks?

Edited by ama146

I didn't think STS resolved their problems with Motoseries, thus no Michelin vendor. Regardless, I'll be buying several sets of Power Cups and a rain set.

I know Bstone are releasing new tires/updates for the 003 & R10. Dunlop cranked the Uk Ntecs up in price to near $900/set...most suspect it as a result of trying to sell the US ones more.

Edited by SJC1000rr

I have done it myself and seen others race on street rubber, you just have to know where the limits of them are. I think tmn8er on here did all of his last year on a set of pures, I did one last year and a few the year before on them and jbot ran quite a few on them. It is a mental game and the race rubber eliminates having to worry about over doing it tire wise.

ok thanks, is there anywhere that i can consistently buy take offs? someone or some place that always has some for sale? or what race rubber would you recommend using that is cheeaappppp. i bought a set of 209GPAs last season but they only came in a 190 and i dont want a 190 for my r6. i found some r10's and bt003 pros online for sale: http://viets-performance.com/Trackside-Support/DOT-Race-Tires-and-Slicks

those r10s look really nice, but the price of the 003 looks even nicer lol

and sorry for turning this in to a race question thread haha. i am just pumped about this season and these questions have been in my head for a few months now.

Edited by ama146

All the dunlops are 190 rear. I think Michelin and bstones are the cheaper one $375 or so a set with pirelli right ther. You could check the padoc and ask around, I have a set of michelins I need to get rid of. Slicks are ok for motoseries and I think some of the wera stuff but if the track gets damp you are not as good off with them vs a race dot.

What Blue said and...

As for the take offs, I think you can get some often enough to be good. I don't have my numbers here at work from last season, but I know they weren't impressive to racers LOL. I ran 1 race to get my full license, and that was it. I would still race on Pures but I figure by the time I race I will be competitive and it makes sense to run something else.

Slicks are run because they offer the most dry grip possible at temps. They are the softest and stickiest you can get. They wear the fastest etc. Not eveyone runs true slicks, some run like the Power Ones, and what SJC said.

From what I am getting from this, you have done some track days, and spent some time on the track but not raced and want to. I think maybe some more background on your track time, and experience is what we need. We don't want to push someone or have someone with unrealistic expectation on racing and get out there and get hurt. Again, not trying to insult you, but like I said I ran a lot of track days before going to race school, and racing.

Running DOTS is not uncommon out there race day, and esp track days etc. And whoever told you to run the Q2s on warmers, wtf? Maybe a low/medium temp for a few mins before getting out there, but DOTS aren't made to be heat cycled with warmers. You will be fine on them. Not to mention they will only last like 3-4 days anyways if you are running hard, and then you can get into racing more etc. Unless you've already got your license from another org. and wanted to race right away. But I dont think MS is offering race school right off hte bat.

Where is freaking Nick on this stuff, he is the guy who needs to be posting. And KTMBrian too, get in here you two, you guys know I'm just posting because I am bored!

well i did 6 trackdays last season. it was my first season on the track at all too. i have been to nelson ledges, beaverun, mid ohio, and grattan. obviously i only rode them 1-2 times TOTAL so my lap times wernt too good since i barely knew the track. i did 2 trackdays in the instructional group then moved up to intermediate and am currently running upper intermediate level. just on the edge of being able to go advanced before i wrecked last trackday (some of you might remember, sept 10 beaverun i was the only one that crashed in the last session riding a green 636).

what made me think about possibly racing this year was on that sept 10 trackday at beaverun a control rider (dont remember who) stopped me after a session just to tell me how great my lines were and body positioning, etc blah blah. not trying to brag obviously lol.

Ya dude sounds like you're def ready to take the class time etc. I will say though if you are on a new bike, take your time. I took 3-4 days last season on a new bike to learn more about it etc and then did the class and raced. Like I said, Im nothing like Craig, Jinu, Nick, Brian, etc. but hopefully this season I will at least be competitive with some racers.

I think you're def. fine for now, step up for some race tires or close to race tires when you get some more seat time and decide to go for it.