Dragon on Travel Channel 12/11/11

JBWalker

honestly im scared of it. its a beast of a road and with no track time and only a year (and msf) under my belt i dont want to mess with it. eventually i want to but i know my skill level isnt anywhere near where i think it needs to be. after track time next year ill probably feel a little different but im just being realistic with my riding ability.

too many bikes now... not enough open road

That's not the problem; you just get some passing practice. I don't care for all the LE presence with the stupid new speed limit. 30 MPH is stupid for a highway that should be 55 MPH at minimum. The stupid fucks who think it’s a race track or the dumbass cruiser people who can’t ride made the speed limit change.

Ohio has roads that are just as good and longer. Our issue is most of our roads are dirty and not as safe because we have side roads intersecting them or driveways leading into them.

That's not the problem; you just get some passing practice. I don't care for all the LE presence with the stupid new speed limit. 30 MPH is stupid for a highway that should be 55 MPH at minimum. The stupid fucks who think it’s a race track or the dumbass cruiser people who can’t ride made the speed limit change.

Ohio has roads that are just as good and longer. Our issue is most of our roads are dirty and not as safe because we have side roads intersecting them or driveways leading into them.

That there is so very true!!!!!!!

Ohio has roads that are just as good and longer. Our issue is most of our roads are dirty and not as safe because we have side roads intersecting them or driveways leading into them

thats my #1 reason why I love it so much down there as opposed to SEO

Ohio has a sweet route. I'm just drawing a blank on name.black ridge or some shit. Off camber turns down and uphill. Blows the dragon away.

I consider OH 555 a long version of the dragon. 65 miles compared to 11 miles. It takes just as much skill to ride both roads. My next major trip will be to start at the east end of the BRP in Virginia and ride it to the western end by Bryson City, NC. Then run the Cherohala up to Tellico Plains, TN then back up to the top of the Dragon and run it both ways before heading back home. Figure the whole trip will take 4 to 5 days.

I just want to run Cherhola back and forth til I run out of gas, then gas up and do it again.

This ^. The dragon was cool but the Cherohola skyway was much more enjoyable. I am certainly no racer but the dragon gets old immediately after you get stuck behind a wagon train of cruisers going 15-20 mph. On Cherohola there are actual passing zones and enough scenic pull offs that you can get away from slower/faster riders. We also hit a section of US421 called The Snake. Just as awesome of a road.

My next major trip will be to start at the east end of the BRP in Virginia and ride it to the western end by Bryson City, NC. Then run the Cherohala up to Tellico Plains, TN then back up to the top of the Dragon and run it both ways before heading back home. Figure the whole trip will take 4 to 5 days.

ive done that ride a few times. most excellent ride. 4 or 5 days is good time line. i usually make asheville NC base. called the majestic triangle. because,from asheville and back its a days ride to 421 the Snake or, Helen GA. or, the Dragon.

I just want to run Cherhola back and forth til I run out of gas, then gas up and do it again.

didn't like 28? :lol:

I want to do the Cherry-Cola again because when we did it in June, I had shit tires and I was sick as hell from heat exhaustion and dehydration so I was stuck just putting along :(

28 was my favorite route when I went down there but also dont be afraid to jump onto some of the backroads. Theres another road I loved called wayah road or something like that it was a blast! The Dragon is as dangerous as you make it. The first time I rode it was at night because we did the cherahola dragon loop and mis judged the tim so it was dark when we hit the dragon. Pretty exciting. If you ride within your abilities the only thing you gotta worry about is people coming left of center. Go during the week (Tues.Wed.Thurs.) Its less busy and more enjoyable. Hopefully when you go theres not some stupid car week there like Mustang mania on the dragon or some crap like that.

Edited by cOoTeR