Can a civilian directing traffic overrule traffic signs?

Scruit

can you get a ticket for running stop signs in parking lots? like kroger, etc?

someone told me they got ticketed for it, but i also heard you couldnt be...fzrmatt, edumacate me!

Private stop signs are not enforceable unless say someone failed to stop and caused an accident. They can be cited. I think there is some gray area if they need to meet size requirements and the whole private property issue which is why many LEO wont cite for it.

Private stop signs are not enforceable unless say someone failed to stop and caused an accident. They can be cited. I think there is some gray area if they need to meet size requirements and the whole private property issue which is why many LEO wont cite for it.

so when i drive in front of the grocery store and theres a stop sign every 5ft, i dont have to actually stop? (not that i do anyways, unless theres people trying to cross)

Are you classified as "military"?

ci·vil·ian

   /sɪˈvɪlthinsp.pngyən/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[si-vil-yuhthinsp.pngn] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA

noun 1. a person who is not on active duty with a military' date=' naval, police, or fire fighting organization.

WIKIPEDIA's version

A civilian under international humanitarian law (also known as the laws of war) is a person who is not a member of his or her country's armed forces or other militia. Civilians are distinct from combatants. They are afforded a degree of legal protection from the effects of war and military occupation. The term "civilian" is also often used metaphorically to refer to people who are not members of a particular profession or occupation, especially by civilian law enforcement agencies, which often adopt rank structures emulating those of military units.

They sure are amigo. There's a great little catch-all CPD likes to use called ROMV - WILFUL DISREGARD. It's a 2pt ticket. They can issue these on private property, and they do. Ask me how I know.

so when i drive in front of the grocery store and theres a stop sign every 5ft, i dont have to actually stop? (not that i do anyways, unless theres people trying to cross)

I stop if there is someone there or approaching the crosswalk. If not, I slow roll watching for someone coming. Our department does not take accident reports or issue tickets on private property unless it is a hit-skip or injury accident. There are tickets that can and do get written on private property, but for the most part it doesn't happen unless there are other circumstances.

I stop if there is someone there or approaching the crosswalk. If not, I slow roll watching for someone coming. Our department does not take accident reports or issue tickets on private property unless it is a hit-skip or injury accident. There are tickets that can and do get written on private property, but for the most part it doesn't happen unless there are other circumstances.

thats what i do also.

good to know its not illegal, not that it matters too much, just nice to know one less thing is illegal...seems like theres so many traffic laws that make no sense already lol, like how my neighborhood exit is a stop sign, and the one across from me that is identical to my exit, is a yield sign....i got a ticket for running the stop sign, but if i was on the other side, pulling onto the same road, from an identical exit way, i would be ok

They sure are amigo. There's a great little catch-all CPD likes to use called ROMV - WILFUL DISREGARD. It's a 2pt ticket. They can issue these on private property, and they do. Ask me how I know.

Well...

There was no accident and no injury. Definitely a ticket issued.

As long as it is a legal stop sign (size, shape, color) mounted at the regulation height, it could be citable. We just tend to stay away from private property. Even though we don't take non-injury or non-hit skip accident reports, I have still been ordered to.

About 5 years ago I arrested a 17 year old for reckless op. on private property. He had been playing Grand Theft Auto all day and decided he wanted some food from Taco Bell. The problem is, he had absolutely no idea how to drive, and certainly not a stick shift. He stole his mom's manual Astro Van, was banging it through the gears, then rolled it over in the parking lot. On top of all that, he was drunk also.

As long as it is a legal stop sign (size, shape, color) mounted at the regulation height, it could be citable. We just tend to stay away from private property. Even though we don't take non-injury or non-hit skip accident reports, I have still been ordered to.

About 5 years ago I arrested a 17 year old for reckless op. on private property. He had been playing Grand Theft Auto all day and decided he wanted some food from Taco Bell. The problem is, he had absolutely no idea how to drive, and certainly not a stick shift. He stole his mom's manual Astro Van, was banging it through the gears, then rolled it over in the parking lot. On top of all that, he was drunk also.

lol, I don't get to hear enough of those stories