time person of the year 2011....

kawi kid

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2101745_2102132,00.html

Protestors? !?! Really? Of the top of my head I could think of a few way better choices. What about seal team 6? Maybe Steve jobs? Nope protestors :nono:

Edited by kawi kid

How many disaster like earthquakes tsunamis and shit like that has there been this year? Why not aid workers? To me they way more important than the freaking protestors. Hell Charlie sheen holds more reason of winning then protestors.

Sorry this is just coming to me in thoughts and I'm.posting them as they come.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2101745_2102132,00.html

Protestors? !?! Really? Of the top of my head I could think of a few way better choices. What about seal team 6? Maybe Steve jobs? Nope protestors :nono;

Seal Team 6 killed a man who was, at this point, largely irrelevant to the world. It was a moral victory for Americans to be sure, but that's about it.

Steve Jobs didn't do fuck-all this year but die.

Protestors (and I'm going to have to ask you to look at the global picture, not just American exceptionalism that seems to run so rampant here) toppled 3 (Tunisia, Egypt, Libya) deeply entrenched dictatorships in North Africa. 3, within the span of 8 months. We can't even seem to vote out someone who is spectacularly corrupt in the span of YEARS, yet these people simultaneously did it in 3 different places, to dictators that have been there for almost 4 DECADES. With a little more time and international pressure, they're about to notch a 4th on there, Syria.

So you see, the general protestor earned the Person Of The Year nod, and then some. But, if you want to stay within the cozy confines of America, the Occupy protests have started conversations about the workings of the financial system, I can only speculate that it brought enough outrage to bear to cause a Federal judge to overturn a settlement motion from the SEC that would slap Citibank on the wrist without them admitting wrongdoing. Instead, this would go to trial which would force all sorts of lovely discovery about the inner workings, emails to be leaked, and so on. It's also started conversations about student loan debt and for-profit "universities" that are preying on it, and why exactly this debt can't be discharged in a bankruptcy proceeding. It's also started to peel back some of the layers of police brutality, showing the public exactly what modern America's police force thinks and does to people that attempt to express their Constitutional rights in public.

All of these things, and you wanted Steve fucking Jobs?

time person of the year for lighting yourself on fire....what a fucking joke

If you could condense it down to one man, it should be a Tunisian named Mohamed Bouazizi. I won't do his story justice, just read his wikipedia.

The short, short version is this guy's lighting himself on fire became the catalyst for protesting in at least 7 countries, and the direct toppling of 3 governments. A joke eh, what have you done that could stack up to this?

If they wanted to be specific and say middle eastern protestors or Libyan protestors I could possibly get on board with that. But leaving it open like this so the college aged twats here that just wanna be a pain in the ass cuz they feel like they aren't getting their fair share I'm not for.

And Steve Jobs.may not have done anything this year but to my knowledge he has never been honored and whether you like it or not he changed the way people communicate and the world of technology forever. I think that deserves a little recognition.

Seal team six is the best of the best. They do more shit than we will ever know about and go unnoticed. They finished a 10 year quest in America's eye for an eye motto and for alot of the survivors of 9-11 it was a great thing.

If they wanted to be specific and say middle eastern protestors or Libyan protestors I could possibly get on board with that. But leaving it open like this so the college aged twats here that just wanna be a pain in the ass cuz they feel like they aren't getting their fair share I'm not for.

And Steve Jobs.may not have done anything this year but to my knowledge he has never been honored and whether you like it or not he changed the way people communicate and the world of technology forever. I think that deserves a little recognition.

Seal team six is the best of the best. They do more shit than we will ever know about and go unnoticed. They finished a 10 year quest in America's eye for an eye motto and for alot of the survivors of 9-11 it was a great thing.

So you think everything's cool with the financial sector in this country?

Jobs was honored last year by Time in being in their list of "People Who Mattered". If you had a case of him getting snubbed, last year would have been it. It should have been him instead of Zuckerberg.

Yes, I understand how awesomely awesome 6 is, and I'm also very aware of the role that Special Operations plays in the world, and for this I am grateful. Don't get me wrong. But giving 10,000 people the warm and fuzzies for a few days isn't the same as what the protestors have done, both here and abroad.

There is way more wrong with this country than just the financial system. But blocking ports isn't hurting the ones who caused the mess. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/hundreds-of-occupy-protesters-block-port-of-oakland.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lanowblog+%28L.A.+Now%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

This is why they deserve nothing.

Barney Frank is one of the major players that made this mess and he is retiring and getting out before the fingers really start pointing. It wasn't just Democrat politician there were Republican benefiting also. But this is a whole other debate that has already been beat to death.

I think you're clutching at straws and you know it.

Is he?

Revolutionaries would have been a much more appropriate "person of the year". Protestors, nada. Sorry man, but some people just don't agree with you. I like you. You're a cool guy. Doesn't mean we have to agree on everything.

• Upvote 1

Is he?

Revolutionaries would have been a much more appropriate "person of the year". Protestors, nada. Sorry man, but some people just don't agree with you. I like you. You're a cool guy. Doesn't mean we have to agree on everything.

Bingo. Cheech hates America :D

Is he?

Likewise. I just like to get a deeper understanding of other viewpoints, so I can crush them before me and hear the lamentations of their women.

The stated criteria for the "Person of the Year" is:

"... a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine that "for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year."

Past winners have included Haile Selassie, Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin (2x), Nikita Khruschev, Ayatola Khomeini, every POtUS (except Coolidge, Hoover, and Ford), so it's not an award only for the Mother Teresa's (who didn't win) of the world.

The stated criteria for the "Person of the Year" is:

Past winners have included Haile Selassie, Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin (2x), Nikita Khruschev, Ayatola Khomeini, every POtUS (except Coolidge, Hoover, and Ford), so it's not an award only for the Mother Teresa's (who didn't win) of the world.

Good call. I didn't even look at it that way. Most protestors and Hitler and Stalin do belong in the same category. :lol:

If you could condense it down to one man, it should be a Tunisian named Mohamed Bouazizi. I won't do his story justice, just read his wikipedia.

The short, short version is this guy's lighting himself on fire became the catalyst for protesting in at least 7 countries, and the direct toppling of 3 governments. A joke eh, what have you done that could stack up to this?

hmmm...lets see....NOT LIT MYSELF ON FIRE

I support the choice. I think it's excellent considering how influential protesters have been this entire year...whether it be good or bad.

No doubt there's a lot of individuals worth of nomination such as Jobs or even Zuckerburg, but I dont think their impact faired close to what some of the protesters in central asia and africa have done. Occupy "shithole" can suck a fat nut.

Seal Team 6, as mentioned, killed one man. They were just doing their jobs not standing up in public to overturn a government (they only do it in the cover of darkness with cool toys).