When a clutch cable snaps

Jst2fst

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost worth having a spare cable coiled up under the back seat, probably a $20 part and simple swap if you've got pliers tucked away too - I'd be screwed since mine's hydro;)

Hydro? That's would suck if it went out while riding.

How far have you been stuck from home when this has happend if it has happend to you?

Not that specifically, but I had a massive electrical failure in Canada about 45 minutes north of Niagara. Had to rent a one way U-Haul and loaded it into the back and drove that back to Cleveland. About 900 bucks total. Thank you Nationwide for your trip interruption insurance. Best 12 bucks I ever spent.

Not that specifically, but I had a massive electrical failure in Canada about 45 minutes north of Niagara. Had to rent a one way U-Haul and loaded it into the back and drove that back to Cleveland. About 900 bucks total. Thank you Nationwide for your trip interruption insurance. Best 12 bucks I ever spent.

Maybe I should see of my policy has that on it sounds like it really saved you.

Almost worth having a spare cable coiled up under the back seat, probably a $20 part and simple swap if you've got pliers tucked away too - I'd be screwed since mine's hydro;)

Backintheday when the clutch cable would break often, it was worth buying two and routing them both together. That way the spare is ready to go if needed.

Actually, I still do that. Errr, bought two, haven't routed the extra one yet.

At least I have a spare somewhere around here.

Wow, this happens a lot more than I would have figured. My dad told me a story before I got my bike about a guy he knew who had his cable snap at a light and he was jolted into traffic and killed, thought this was a rare occurrence and didn't really think about it after that. Now its going to be in my head every time I ride!

Wow, this happens a lot more than I would have figured. My dad told me a story before I got my bike about a guy he knew who had his cable snap at a light and he was jolted into traffic and killed, thought this was a rare occurrence and didn't really think about it after that. Now its going to be in my head every time I ride!

Yea, the clutch cable along with other components used frequently has the potential to break. Just look how much you use it while riding without really noticing it till its gone. Sad to hear that about your dads friends.

Maybe I should see of my policy has that on it sounds like it really saved you.

They have two things, roadside assistance and trip interruption. It is the trip interruption that saved me. They paid about 700 of the 900 I spent. I bought the secretary at my agent a really nice restaurant gift card....we had just switched to them and she suggested it. I had the breakdown just a month or so after she added it to our policy.

They have two things, roadside assistance and trip interruption. It is the trip interruption that saved me. They paid about 700 of the 900 I spent. I bought the secretary at my agent a really nice restaurant gift card....we had just switched to them and she suggested it. I had the breakdown just a month or so after she added it to our policy.

That's pretty cool, I usually look for stuff likethat when traveling far from home.

I haven't had a failure like that but should stock up on cables.

Closest I did have was a friend's bike broke the shift bar and he was stuck in the nearby Metroparks. He called me and I showed up with my trailer and brought him home.

yup. if you're going on a trip or something, IMO zip tie the new cable along the old cable. this way its already routed and everything. if the old one breaks, you can make the switch fairly quickly.

yup. if you're going on a trip or something, IMO zip tie the new cable along the old cable. this way its already routed and everything. if the old one breaks, you can make the switch fairly quickly.

hmm I like this idea, might go this route for next year if riding down to Deals Gap happens

Belt and Suspenders (or just replace the old cable while running new?). Add a Sag Waggon with a spare bike...... :D

add another hydraulic clutch to the mix, so never on the xx...

have had the clutch cable pop a few times now in the dune buggy.

I just start the bugger in first gear, grind it through the other gears, and pop it into neutral when i need to stop.

What about a line popping? Master or slave going bad?

I'll stick with my simple old cable. Less shit to go wrong, cheaper to fix when it does.

You sound like my dad except he goes on about old cars, I always have to remind him that he spend every other weekend under the hood fixing his old cars when my new modern car only needs the oil changed every 7500 miles and will always start in the morning haha

You sound like my dad except he goes on about old cars, I always have to remind him that he spend every other weekend under the hood fixing his old cars when my new modern car only needs the oil changed every 7500 miles and will always start in the morning haha

had the opposite experience.... super cold morning, nothing in the driveway would start with the exception of a 1970 beetle (air cooled)