whos got the HF lift table?

Hoblick

I got one a while ago. So far it's done well, but it leaks. I keep a pie tin under the pump to catch the drips. One of these days, I'll tear it apart and see whats causing it.

My only gripe, other than the leak, is that it's so awkward to move around. The wheels as swivel casters don't work for crap.

BTW, I got my lift for $130. It was the floor model, so the store manager cut the price in half, and I used on of those 25% off one item coupon.

Edited by imagineer

I love mine, and my back loves it, too. I've had it for about a year now with no problems at all. I'm only lifting sport bikes, and agree with above that if you're lifting dressers and such with any frequency, you probably need a heavier unit. Probably the best $300 I've spent on bikestuff in a long time. I've used it for full size ATVs by bolting a 4x6.5' piece of plywood to the top.

I never even mounted the stock wheel chock. I drilled some holes near the front to mount a popchock, and when I've needed to use front end lifts (fork lifts, as well as pin lifts), they've both worked fine.

hob, I have one, had it all summer. Maybe I lucked out, but mine works great. I did rerplace the front wheel clamp for a drive on 'Bike Pro' wheel chock. Just ride ride up and on it, wheel chock has a lock on it so it locks the front tire into place. But I do strap it down too. A buddy has had his for a few years with zero problems, and he has a bike like yours. He just built a couple of wood steps to put on each side of the table to step on when he gets off his bike. Just 2x4's with a 2x6 on top of it.

Table seems stable enough and is great imho. Got mine for $300 too.

I just need to make up a small jack to lift the bike up while on the table.

hob, I have one, had it all summer. Maybe I lucked out, but mine works great. I did rerplace the front wheel clamp for a drive on 'Bike Pro' wheel chock. Just ride ride up and on it, wheel chock has a lock on it so it locks the front tire into place. But I do strap it down too. A buddy has had his for a few years with zero problems, and he has a bike like yours. He just built a couple of wood steps to put on each side of the table to step on when he gets off his bike. Just 2x4's with a 2x6 on top of it.

Table seems stable enough and is great imho. Got mine for $300 too.

I just need to make up a small jack to lift the bike up while on the table.

cool.

for those small lifts while on the table. get a car scissor jack, weld some wide steel plate on the bottom for a foot, and weld a wide steel plate on the top. then you can weld U channel to where it will contact your frame. line with rubber if you dont want it to scratch the frame.

or black widow (i think thats the comapny) makes one for $59

I love mine, and my back loves it, too. I've had it for about a year now with no problems at all. I'm only lifting sport bikes, and agree with above that if you're lifting dressers and such with any frequency, you probably need a heavier unit. Probably the best $300 I've spent on bikestuff in a long time. I've used it for full size ATVs by bolting a 4x6.5' piece of plywood to the top.

I never even mounted the stock wheel chock. I drilled some holes near the front to mount a popchock, and when I've needed to use front end lifts (fork lifts, as well as pin lifts), they've both worked fine.

main reason for wanting one is so i dont kill my back.

its already getting jacked up from work, and it hurts me when im bent over wrenching on bikes

cool.

for those small lifts while on the table. get a car scissor jack, weld some wide steel plate on the bottom for a foot, and weld a wide steel plate on the top. then you can weld U channel to where it will contact your frame. line with rubber if you dont want it to scratch the frame.

or black widow (i think thats the comapny) makes one for $59

Be careful using a car jack to lift a bike. The scissor jacks used on cars are pivoted at the top. The top plate is only supported at the mid-point, allowing the top plate to tilt somewhat. If you do use one, be sure to have the bike strapped well.

Bike scissor lifts are pivoted in the middle and the top plate is supported at both ends. I was too cheap to buy one, so I made one from stainless.

motorcyclejack.jpg

bikeonjack.jpg

I'd really consider this. Appears heavier duty (though mine doesn't flex or anything), is foot/ air operated, and it has many levels of "rest" with the safety catches on the back.

To keep the pressure off of the cylinder on the HF, they tell you to not leave the table up for long periods (i.e. days), and to use the support bar to hold the weight of the table/ bike. They only give you two hole sets for height (one is 8-12" lower than full lift, the other is 15" or so off of the ground, and the third is all the way down). The Greg Smith looks like it gives you many more options.

If the HF breaks, I'd probably spring for the GS, and figure its the only one I'd have to ever buy.

But again, my HF does great for me. No regrets at all.

$299 coupons seem to be less frequent, and their regular price is ridiculous. If it were only full price, I'd go with GS in a heartbeat. And Indy is a nice place to visit. Lots to do.

You can get a Direct lift from Greg Smith equipment for $645. My oldest one ( I have 3) is 8 years and I've never had a problem with any of them.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Direct-Lift-Pro-Cycle

ZRX249.jpg

They only give you two hole sets for height (one is 8-12" lower than full lift,

I keep two pieces of 2" long x 1/4" wall steel pipe (I think the ID is somewhere close to 1.41") with the HF lift. When I raise the HF lift to the max height. I slip a pieces of the pipe over the safety bar before lowering the lift. This extra material between the lift frame and safety bar holds the lift table about 6'-8" higher than just lowered onto the safety bar.

This is what my lift frame looks like after 4 years of ownership' date=' and only 2.5 years of DucRx use. You can see where the pivot shaft actually "wallowed" the frame. I tried to lift the base to get a better view, but my pump has failed. The table won't raise. I am not interested in sourcing a new pump/seals for this lift. I won't buy another one.. even if they only cost $200. I can't put customer bikes on something like this. I will be upgrading my lift this winter. I'll either buy the one that FRG suggested, or I'll drop the $1500 on a Handy.

[img']http://i.imgur.com/1pwKe.jpg

id love a handy lift.. i just cant justify droppin that kinda coin on a lift for my home garage

i do tire changes out of the garage. rarely do i get any maintenance or other work really. i dont think i had any other work outside of tire changes, maybe brake pads (but thats cause the wheels came off anyway. and if i do a dresser or harley, i have to use my crafsman motorcycle lift, the table wont work, the rear fender hangs so low i need the bike pretty high in the air to pull the rear wheel

I got one a while ago. So far it's done well, but it leaks. I keep a pie tin under the pump to catch the drips. One of these days, I'll tear it apart and see whats causing it.

My only gripe, other than the leak, is that it's so awkward to move around. The wheels as swivel casters don't work for crap.

BTW, I got my lift for $130. It was the floor model, so the store manager cut the price in half, and I used on of those 25% off one item coupon.

I had a floor jack start leaking when I used that cheap jack oil from autozone called "coastal" I put some other jack oil in it and it quit leaking.

you could try that

and if you can afford one, handy industries makes some of the nicest shop tools/ lifts I've ever seen.

http://www.handyindustries.com/products-accessories/lifts-accessories

Edited by serpentracer

If you can spend it' date=' then I agree. If you're on a budget (who isn't?) then the HF lift works well for the light-duty bike guy. I've used mine for 4 solid years. It's been reliable, but I think I worked it pretty hard. I've had multiple 900 lb machines in the air. It was what I had, but now I need to invest in something more suited to my business.

I had to upgrade my tire machine last winter. I need to buy a new lift this winter. Needing to replace your equipment because you've outgrown its usefulness is a good thing, in my opinion.[/quote']

Yes budget minded we all are. I need to finally upgrade to a nomar machine this winter, and im putting in a modular floor in the garage.

This is what my lift frame looks like after 4 years of ownership' date=' and only 2.5 years of DucRx use. You can see where the pivot shaft actually "wallowed" the frame. I tried to lift the base to get a better view, but my pump has failed. The table won't raise. I am not interested in sourcing a new pump/seals for this lift. I won't buy another one.. even if they only cost $200. I can't put customer bikes on something like this. I will be upgrading my lift this winter. I'll either buy the one that FRG suggested, or I'll drop the $1500 on a Handy.

[/quote']

whoa. I would consider the HF table a "hobbyist" table. If I were working on stuff full time, or customer bikes, or something like that, I'd explore another option. Mine is fine for a few hours a week, or a weekend, or whatever. The cheapo HF table has the least rise of any of them, but is fine for me. Beats squatting on the floor. WELL worth $300.

Like all of the Chinese junk, its a compromise. Are you always gonna have a bike, and do you enjoy working on 'em? Maybe think about the higher end table.

Hell, as much as this thing weighs, I should get most of my money back if I scrap it. And other than (probably) being covered in lead paint, I haven't found a down side yet.

done. Best of luck.

"Harbor Freight: when it only has to work once or twice."

I used to say that as a joke, but honestly, it's turned out to be pretty much spot-on. Anything that gets used with any frequency should be purchased elsewhere. The exception might be their trailers, but even those benefit SIGNIFICANTLY from relatively minor improvements, like better hardware and such.

"Harbor Freight: when it only has to work once or twice."

I used to say that as a joke, but honestly, it's turned out to be pretty much spot-on. Anything that gets used with any frequency should be purchased elsewhere. The exception might be their trailers, but even those benefit SIGNIFICANTLY from relatively minor improvements, like better hardware and such.

disagree somewhat..

i have a cut off wheel that i bought for like $12 on sale..

going into it thinking aww ill use it till it breaks.

i have tortured the hell out of this thing, and sometimes i dont even oil it.

but it just wont stop working..

i just picked up a 13 drawer 44" roller tool box (bottom section) and its as nice if not better than the craftsman ball bearing roller cabinet.

the drawers as super solid and have a huge load capacity.. feels better quality than the craftsman box i was thinking of purchasing.

99% of there hand tools are junk

but i have there impact sockets (standard and metric)

i have a set of polished Metric wrenches (32mm - 6 mm)

and a flux welder..

the impact sockets, and wrenches are great quality, i use the HF polished wrenches more than my craftsman, jsut for the fact they feel better in the hand.

my welder i got, i bought cause it was on sale plus i had the 20% coupon, for the money i paid it could break tomorrow and served it will have served me well.

i bought some lincoln tips and lincoln wire for it, worked good for the jobs i needed it for.

/Rant

guess all im saying is there is some stuff there thats a good value and will last

i dont know how many wrenches, sockets, ratchets i have broke and hand to return to sears for replacement..