Amish Teen Killed

Tigerpaw

Amish girl killed by man cleaning gun

AAPDecember 21, 2011, 10:27 am

The shooting death of a 15-year-old Amish girl driving a horse-drawn buggy was caused by a man who accidentally shot his rifle into the air while cleaning it two kilometres away, US police say.

Rachel Yoder was shot in the head on Thursday night while travelling to her home in Fredericksburg, Ohio.

She had attended a Christmas party for employees at an Amish produce farm and was riding home alone when she was shot, police Captain Douglas Hunter said on Tuesday.

Holmes County Sheriff Timothy Zimmerly said the gun-cleaner's family came forward and his neighbours reported hearing a shot about the time the girl was wounded.

The man had fired the muzzle-loading rifle in the air two kilometres from where Yoder was shot, Zimmerly said.

State investigators were checking the rifle for a ballistics match, he said.

"In all probability, it looks like an accidental shooting," Zimmerly said.

No charges have been filed.

The horse continued to cart the girl after she was shot, and she fell out of the buggy near her home.

Her brother found her after he saw the horse walking in circles and went to check it.

Authorities initially believed she had fallen out of the buggy and hit her head until a hospital test revealed the gunshot wound.

Hunter said his department traced a trail of blood along the road in an area of farms and rolling hills.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/12424736/amish-girl-killed-by-man-cleaning-gun/

:( RIP

Yikes! Not too far from my house. If it was a Barrett 50 cal. he could have gotten me.

The modern muzzleloaders have a bit more grunt behind them compared to shotgun slugs I guess.

Once you load a Muzzleloader do you have to shoot it to clear it? I have a Thompson Encore, but I have never shot it. It belonged to my dad.

Saying she was a Yoder does nothing to identify her. If you are Amish there is a 95% chance your name is Yoder or Weaver.

Mt. Vernon Nazarene College, commonly refered to as Yoder Dame.

Saying she was a Yoder does nothing to identify her. If you are Amish there is a 95% chance your name is Yoder or Weaver...

Don't forget Miller. I'm probably related to them (Yoder) somewhere back in Switzerland or Germany.

where was her god?

That's one of the more ignorant and cruel statements I've read in awhile. :nono:

Edited by jblosser
clarity
  • Downvote 1

Sad to see the loss of life. I have had a few bad run ins with the amish and firearms. They are not very smart when it comes to gun safety. Once when deer hunting at grand river, my brother-in-law was shot at by a young amish boy(maybe 14-16) he said he thought his carhart jacket looked like a deer. Even though he had on a orange vest, hat, and gloves.

Tragic, I can't begin to express my sympathy for her family and friends, anything I could say would ring hollow to a mother and father who just lost their child.

That being said, it is statistically improbable, if not impossible that this will ever happen again. I mean, a blind shot travels 1.5 miles and hits a moving Target in the head? It was statistically improbable that it happened the first time. I'm a little surprised that the projectile had enough energy to kill by the time it got there. I'd like to know if it actuated penetrated the skull or simply killed her with mass and blunt force trauma.

Think of all the piece of shit gangbangers that get shot multiple times at point blank range in the face and live and this poor girl takes one to the head accidentally from a mile and a half away and dies.... Kinda puts the whole "life isn't fair" thing into perspective.

Again, my heart goes out to both families involved.

Amish girl killed by man cleaning gun

AAPDecember 21, 2011, 10:27 am

The shooting death of a 15-year-old Amish girl driving a horse-drawn buggy was caused by a man who accidentally shot his rifle into the air while cleaning it two kilometres away, US police say.

Rachel Yoder was shot in the head on Thursday night while travelling to her home in Fredericksburg, Ohio.

She had attended a Christmas party for employees at an Amish produce farm and was riding home alone when she was shot, police Captain Douglas Hunter said on Tuesday.

Holmes County Sheriff Timothy Zimmerly said the gun-cleaner's family came forward and his neighbours reported hearing a shot about the time the girl was wounded.

The man had fired the muzzle-loading rifle in the air two kilometres from where Yoder was shot, Zimmerly said.

State investigators were checking the rifle for a ballistics match, he said.

"In all probability, it looks like an accidental shooting," Zimmerly said.

No charges have been filed.

The horse continued to cart the girl after she was shot, and she fell out of the buggy near her home.

Her brother found her after he saw the horse walking in circles and went to check it.

Authorities initially believed she had fallen out of the buggy and hit her head until a hospital test revealed the gunshot wound.

Hunter said his department traced a trail of blood along the road in an area of farms and rolling hills.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/12424736/amish-girl-killed-by-man-cleaning-gun/

:( RIP

Accidental head shot from 2 kilometers away... I call Bullshit!

Shame!

Yes, you do have to discharge the rifle after loading it, i do not know of a safe way to unload a black powder other than that. My Bone Collector breaks in the middle and you can remove the pellets then ram the projectile back down the barrel but those just came out in the last few years. All the older models need discharged. Now discharging in the air is just STUPID!! RIP young girl, you were taken way to early all because someone did not think first.

i'm in disbelief that this occurred. The article I read actually said that they're still waiting to get ballistics results to confirm that it was definitely this guy's shot that killed her.

I thought mythbusters tested this, and a bullet would have to have PERFECT trajectory to arc and hit someone with enough force to kill them. If the bullet loses rotation and starts to tumble, it would hurt, and could cause serious injury, but death should be even LESS likely :(

Good on the guy for turning himself in though. It's sad all around. Frankly, I hope he apologizes, and the law goes a little easy on him. Wonder what they'll charge him with.