Jeep vs gti?

attentiongetter92

Well here's my delmma. I currently have an 02 jeep grand Cherokee and it's giving me problems. It needs new brakes, a new ecu/PCM, the tranny is slipping, something is rattling, and the front end is making a quiet roaring noise. So needless to say I've been looking for a new ride instead of sinking a few grand into this one. I found a clean gti and don't want to do so ething I'll regret(regardless the payment will only be for a couple months). What's your guys opinion

VW is a pain in the ass and will for sure require something. I had a Passat and my wife had a New Beetle...we don't have either any more. They always were in need of some sort of maintenance. VW is the bipolar car of the automobile industry. Awesome ride and performance one day and the next...well, your wallet will be empty.

I would but the wrx I want has the letters sti beside it. And I can't afford the payments/insurance on those :(

I was thinking..... He must mean STI not GTI :D

I would have an STI but would only go for a year or two old used one and they are still high 20's and in to the 30's. Thats where the MS3 came in. Not nearly an STI but settled my want for boost.

Edited by Habi

Who cares about boost all wheel drive puts it to the ground.

I would think you know the STI is boosted right?

The highest horse NA 4 cylinder doesn't compare to boosted 4 due to torque. So take an STI and take away boost and then who would give a shit. It would just be an impreza which would get its ass handed to it :D

Both of best worlds equals an STI!

Edited by Habi

Gotta agree with the others. The GTI was an awesome car for handling and speed and I loved the style of it. I had a 2001 GTI VR6 fully loaded with every option VW had and it was a good thing that I got the extended warranty with it. That car was down for warranty repairs 18 times in the five years I owned it. Everything from broken swaybar and suspension parts to failed engine computers and throttle bodies. Blew the front wheel bearings twice in that car. When you have your only vehicle towed to the dealer 4 times in less than two years it gets old very fast. Sold it when the warranty was up due to the age of the car, it only had 65,000 miles.

I know the sti is boosted. What I ment to say was I loved my gti but even with traction control it spun the wheels when pushed hard. My subaru does not so even if it makes less power then my gti did it is easier to use that power. My subaru is a non turbo soccer mom hatch back sport wagon :(

Do not buy any European cars unless you want to empty your wallet on maintenance costs. Do your homework & look at reviews. We had a Mini Cooper for my daughter. It was a great little car to drive but oh the expense!! Traded it in on a Honda Fit. In general, stick with Japanese, Korean or American if you are tring to save on maintenance coats.

^^^^^^^^^ i second that i cant believe some of the things i see at work and they dont fix them. Had a cobalt in the other day for a brake noise, had gone metal to metal and beyond. It had out all the way into the vents in the backside of the rotor and popped the piston out and she didnt fix it and drove out the lot

^^^^^^^^^ i second that i cant believe some of the things i see at work and they dont fix them. Had a cobalt in the other day for a brake noise, had gone metal to metal and beyond. It had out all the way into the vents in the backside of the rotor and popped the piston out and she didnt fix it and drove out the lot

Ouch! That's just a tad worse than a friend of mine that had their truck towed in. Same deal, except it didn't get into the fins. It had just chucked the outboard pad, and the caliper piston popped out. They knew about it though, and were trying to get by as long as they could. :nono: They did take care of a few other things while it was in, knowing that they're not likely to take care of that stuff later.