Motorcycles, Bicycles Can Run Red Lights Under New Law

Strictly Street

CHICAGO (CBS) — Illinois motorcycles and bicycles will be allowed to run red lights starting in 2012, but only in certain instances.

Motorcycles and bicycles often aren’t big enough to trigger magnetic sensors that switch traffic lights from red to green, WBBM Newsradio’s Alex Degman reports.

That could mean the riders either break the law and run the red light, or wait until another vehicle comes along.

More here:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/12/30/motorcycles-bicycles-can-run-red-lights-under-new-law

not here in Ohio but it's a start! :)

I usually get stuck in a left turn lane. Turning right from there isn't much better.

Sometimes I power walk the bike across the intersection just for amusement.

Whut? It would be a jaywalking ticket...

edit: Virginia, Wisconsin, Kansas, and Illinois have this law now. Maybe more.

Oops, add Minnesota, Tennessee, Idaho, North Carolina, and Georgia.

btw, Ohio Revised Code kinda sorta covers running a funky light at an intersection: (print and keep under the seat)

(A) The driver of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley who approaches an intersection where traffic is controlled by traffic control signals shall do all of the following, if the signal facing the driver either exhibits no colored lights or colored lighted arrows or exhibits a combination of such lights or arrows that fails to clearly indicate the assignment of right-of-way:

(1) Stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or, if none, stop before entering the intersection;

(2) Yield the right-of-way to all vehicles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys in the intersection or approaching on an intersecting road, if the vehicles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys will constitute an immediate hazard during the time the driver is moving across or within the intersection or junction of roadways;

(3) Exercise ordinary care while proceeding through the intersection.

(B) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

Edited by ReconRat

I've had to wave the car behind me a few at lights

I've done that - and usually get nasty stares in return. Every now and then they understand.

120 seconds is not long. I pass through at least two lights than have a 3 minute green for the large road (Route 23)

I did sit for what seemed like an eternity at 23 and hyatts. Nobody else on Hyatts. Heavy enough traffic on 23 that I had no opportunity to run the red, even to turn right. After forever a car came up behind me and I waved her forward onto the sensor loop. She pulled forward and the light started to cycle immediately.

Looked back at the dashcam - I was there 9 minutes!!

Edited by Scruit

I've done that - and usually get nasty stares in return. Every now and then they understand.

120 seconds is not long. I pass through at least two lights than have a 3 minute green for the large road (Route 23)

I did sit for what seemed like an eternity at 23 and hyatts. Nobody else on Hyatts. Heavy enough traffic on 23 that I had no opportunity to run the red, even to turn right. After forever a car came up behind me and I waved her forward onto the sensor loop. She pulled forward and the light started to cycle immediately.

Looked back at the dashcam - I was there 9 minutes!!

Gotcha, I avoid this light at all cost its only on campus.