Alleged Attempted Burglar Assaulted By Homeowner

Scruit

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/01/16/columbus-man-found-alleged-burglary.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A man was recovering Monday after he allegedly tried to burglarize a home.

David Robinson was found lying on the sidewalk at the corner of South 6th Street and Woodrow Avenue at about 8:30 p.m., 10TV News reported

Witnesses told investigators that Robinson was assaulted by the owner of a home he allegedly attempted to burglarize. He was transported for medical attention in critical condition.

Robinson, 33, suffered severe head trauma after the assault, 10TV News reported.

Lets see how this plays out. Part of me says eff yeah! But another part of mean is surprised by the wording of the story and wondering why they are calling it an assault. I wonder how far the homeowner went. The apparent suggestion is that he went way overboard. :confused:

assault:

In law, assault is a crime causing a victim to fear violence. The term is often confused with battery, which involves physical contact. The specific meaning of assault varies between countries, but can refer to an act that causes another to apprehend immediate and personal violence, or in the more limited sense of a threat of violence caused by an immediate show of force.[1][2] Assault in some US jurisdictions[which?] is defined more broadly still as any intentional physical contact with another person without their consent;[3][4][5] but in the majority of the United States and in England & Wales and all other common law jurisdictions in the world, this is defined instead as battery. Some jurisdictions have incorporated the definition of civil assault into the definition of the crime making it a criminal assault to intentionally cause another person to apprehend a harmful or offensive contact.

if I catch someone burglarizing my home, I'm going to go way overboard too.

If you chase him out into the street and beat his unconscious body to a jelly-like consistency then you're likely to get charged for it.

Still, I'd like to hear why they say it was an assault, not a defensive situation.

If you chase him out into the street and beat his unconscious body to a jelly-like consistency then you're likely to get charged for it.

Still, I'd like to hear why they say it was an assault, not a defensive situation.

Don't think they'd make it out of the house, but if they do, I'll take my chances.

yeah..... best to fk em up in the house and not let em out. better yet, dead idiots cant sue you.......

No but their family can. :rolleyes:

Castle doctrine doesn't apply if you chase the guy down the street and exact revenge.

Still, we don't know what happened in the case refrenced by the news report so I'm keeping an open mind.

I have always said there is.only two ways breaking into my house is going to end if I'm home. One way is I leave is a body bag, or the more likely way of you leaving in a body bag. I promise that the path to each outcome is extremely morbid and disturbing enough that a priest will be required to bless the house when its over

What pisses me off is the media even has the nerve to word anything like that. Lets face it this guy was up to no good if he was in someone else's home uninvited.

i agree. hopefully no charges are filed.

also in the same article it says

"Alleged Attempted Burglar Assaulted By Homeowner

A homeowner fights back after an attempted burglary."

so theyre not sure whose side theyre on lol