I need seat help please..

jaymanthree

OK, so I have a wee strom, right. Went to the dealer, they dis-continued the tall version of the touring seat. It's understandable, probably not too many sales for them. I mean how many people over 6 foot ride the wee?

Anyhow, I'm already running a peg lowering kit that I found on ADVrider and also lifted the bike to compensate (so they dont scrape). Still looking for a little more room to make the wee into the cadillac of my dreams.

I am looking to have my current seat re-done to raise it another 3/4" or so. I thought about going with an aftermarket but none offer what I am looking for. I'm not too keen on shipping the seat out to have it done.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a place in Ohio that can help me re-do the foam and re-cover the seat.

BTW I already thought about a used dl1000 seat, but looking for something a little more.

Any input or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I had Sargent Cycle in Florida redo a seat for me. Worked good but since then I started doing it myself. Sargent sells a super firm foam that works really good. You can buy a hunk of foam from them and do it yourself. Pull the staples out if your seat, remove cover, then glue new foam on top of old with contact cement. You can do rough shaping of the foam with an electric kitchen knife then when you get close to the shape that feels right, do final shaping and smoothing with a sanding disk on your electric drill. I've done 4 seats now and the more you do it the better you get. If your cover no longer fits, an auto upholsterer can sew up a new cover for you.

Yes DIY is possible. And as long as you have more foam you can glue more on if you mess something up and cut too much off. Foam isn't exactly cheap though. I did mine and put new vinyl on. I was surprised how well I could get the vinyl to contour without needing to sew. Because of the minimum orders I have more foam and vinyl than I needed so I should have enough to do another seat if you are interested.

Before

bikeqy.jpg

After

gedc0406b.jpg

gedc0407v.jpg