Another one of those threads..

hollywood3586

As of last weekend, but waiting on my application to be accepted, I will be able to conceal carry in Ohio. :D I'm super excited, BUT Matt and I have been looking at our options. I know what I am hearing from others who have the guns we are considering but they are new themselves. I really like the look and feel of the Springfield XD shb-compact 9mm. Also the Sig Sauer SP2022, both are great deals but I also was thinking of Kel Tec p40. I really like the double saftey on the Springfield. The only downfall I have on the .40 is you really don't have any options for lights or laser mounts. The Sig and Springfield are easy for options.

I was just wondering what you guys thought, the Kel Tec would be a good carry gun because its small but lets be serious do you guys carry 24/7? I am mostly at school during the day but.I'm allowed to have it in my car but obviously not on me while on campus.

I'm so new at this and am not even sure of the brands. Ive never heard of Kel Tec. Just a little feedback is all I'm after. Thanks!! :)

• Upvote 1

I am doing my CCW course the last two weekends of the month and plan on using a Walther pps .40. I will give you my feed back once I have had a chance to play with it. My dad bought it for the express purpose of me getting my CCW so I had to wait until I was signed up for the course before he would give it to me.

Edited by gen3flygirl

In the sig line the 229 is a better shooting and overall handling firearm in my opinion, not that the 2022 was bad. I've owned the 2022,2340, and 229. The 229 has a metal frame. I'm debating what to her for alternate carry gun now.

I don't carry 24/7 because my employer doesn't allow but if I'm not at work then I do.

Personally I'd look for a 9mm a lot cheaper to shoot which means you will be more likely to shoot it more often and get more practice. The 9mm also has less recoil and is easier on your hand. Go to the area gun shops and hit some gun shows and handle everything you see that you like you can also rent guns at many places. You might also want to look at single stack guns they are much thinner and easier to conceal but hold less rounds. You need to look at your wardrobe and find a gun that will work for you to carry often if it's too big or bulky you will be less likely to carry it. Don't go for the cheapest holsters you can find you get what you pay for. I know a couple of ladies that really like carrying using the belly band. Personally I'd go with something else over the kel-tec they do make some good guns but if your looking for something to shoot a lot there are better options. I have a kel-tec p3at it shoots good but doesn't like cheap ammo. I will be replacing it with http://www.berettausa.com/products/nano/ soon.

I have a xd9sc in 9mm very good gun. I also have a single stack 9mm for summer/deep concealment. Like the others said 9mm is cheaper to shoot then the .40 if you plan to shoot a lot. Try going to riverside range in the falls they rent guns I think try the ones out you are thinking about buying and get a better feel for them. If you want I could meet you guys down there and you could try the few 9mm I have. The other part of your question, I carry almost every time I leave my house. I cant carry at work but it stays locked up while i'm there, then goes back on when I get out.

Lights and Lazer mounts huh? On your CCW? Here's some advice, forget about that shit! Adding external lights and lasers to a CCW is ridiculous. Learn how to shoot, practice, practice practice. Its a CCW, youre not going to be clearing rooms with it and if you are, you dont understand the term CCW. Yes some of the models come with Lasers but adding external lights/laser is not something you typically do nor need on a CCW gun. Once you learn the laws of CCW, hopefully this will make more sense to you. Im not trying to be a dick but people need to think a bit more.

If you want a laser then get a model with it build in already that is grip activated. You dont want to go fumbling around trying to find the switch to turn one on nor do you want to add the external dimensions to add an external one.

Oh and one last thing. The absolute best advice I can give to any CCW holder is to go and enter some IDPA shoots. This will help you better understand what you would deal with in a real life situation while getting your heart rate up, making you think and focus, and actually hit what your aiming at.

Edited by flounder
  • Upvote 1

Ive been shooting since I was 10 its not new to me. My reasoning for lights or a tracer is if someone does break in my HOME I dont have a lot of places to hide or shelter myself if they have a weapon. I want them to be aware right away that my gun is aimed in the middle of their chest. Also obviously the light will hinder them from actually seeing my face or portion of my body.

Also,no, I don't want to carry around a 9mm with a 10 pound light or anything attached. The Kel Tec. 40 is very small. It was 1/3 smaller than the XD was. I just wanted the extra power because I shot a .45 at the range and loved the feel of it. I know its more expensive but it's way more fun to shoot.

I carry the Springfield XD40SC and I do highly recommend it. Sig is another good gun to go with though if your looking at them. I'd say skip on the KelTec and get 1 of the other 2 I listed above or a variation of them...

I'm allowed to have it in my car but obviously not on me while on campus.

That will probably change later this year. Removal of the LEO notify requirement and also a statewide law banning universities from barring CC are in a bill that is working it's way through the process now.

The Kel Tec PF9 is a good carry gun. My roommate has one and I hate everything about it.

Go hold a PF9 if you haven't.

Ruger and Kahr have some nice CCW guns as well. I've been looking at CZ weapons, but since they don't offer anything without a safety I'm not considering picking one up for my CCW.

I carry a Kahr CW9 daily.

That will probably change later this year. Removal of the LEO notify requirement and also a statewide law banning universities from barring CC are in a bill that is working it's way through the process now.

Really?! I would feel SO much better if I could carry on campus. That's where I get approached the most. To and from parking is the worst. I would LOVE to see this changed.

Krystyn and Holly, Good to hear both are you are getting your CHLs. Carry and train whenever possible.

My reasoning for lights or a tracer is if someone does break in my HOME I dont have a lot of places to hide or shelter myself if they have a weapon. I want them to be aware right away that my gun is aimed in the middle of their chest. Also obviously the light will hinder them from actually seeing my face or portion of my body.

A weapon mounted light will illuminate the intruder but it also shows where you're at. It's good to have as a backup if needed, but a secondary light in your off hand is safer. You can hold it FBI style, up and away from your body, so that if they shoot at it you will be less likely to be hit. A strobe function is also good as disorienting them.

A laser for a CCW is kind of pointless, especially if it's not integrated you'll just increase the size of the firearm and make it more difficult to conceal. Plus that's just one more thing you'll be worrying about in a critical incident when you should be concentrating on the fundamentals.