Interesting Rifle Photo

kiggy74

Found this image posted in another forum. I suppose the context of the image is legit, although I'm surprised that any LEO would be dumb enough to post the photo. Reveals a lot about tactics and equipment.

But anyway, it looks to be either a Savage or Remington in a XLR Chassis, I can't tell the difference. Scope appears to be a US Optics, but also hard to tell.

What about the tripod? Is that legit? I see a bipod folded upfront, but the tripod doesn't look right. Doesn't look nearly sturdy enough for precision rifle shooting.

Anyway, interesting photo regardless of details.

418370_10150513598161012_108369671011_9191106_1222718085_n.jpg

Talk about nosebleed seats. I think the book laying below the rifle says "Indianapolis Metro Police". Possibly his ballistics chart?

Seems like no matter what those snipers are going to be at least a couple hundred yards away from the closest possible target. Shooting into a crowd of people at that range seems like a risky tactic, although I'm sure they are there just to have the option if needed. Would have to be some pretty extreme circumstances to give these guys the ok to shoot.

Digging that XLR chassis system. www.xlrindustries.com

xlr_rifle_stock-18-of-16.jpg

Edited by kiggy74

And the tripod over a bipod in situation because of the angle a shot might have to be placed. You get a better range of motion with the tripod over the traditional bipod.

Yeah, I get why you would want a setup like this over a standard bipod. Especially considering that they are basically in the roof shooting down. I'm just saying the tripod itself doesn't look all that sturdy.

Here's a link to the tripod manufacturer.... http://www.phoenixtactical.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5&zenid=st8u3333ssc7ptbljsjerqlcr1

Edited by kiggy74

I always play "spot the sniper" during OSU games. They usually have a hand full scattered around campus.

Why does this not suprise me! :) But yes, theres several teams out all around the OSU stadium. I'm not sure I would have posted the photo's, but then again it doesn't bother me since I'm use to those things. The bigger the event, the more of an invitiation there is for something to happen, and its better to be safe then sorry.

Edited by SJC1000rr

Can anyone tell me why he chose to have the suppressor sticking out past the window?

The shots were staged prior to the SuperBowl for the tripod manufacturer to use in their advertising. There was no round in the gun and no fans in the stands. The layout changed a bit after the photo's and no observation was done through the scopes during the game. Only through binoculars.