Property maintenance violations - revenge?

redkow97

The city of Parma has informed me that the 1/2 inch raise in the sidewalk in front of my house, and the deterioration of my driveway apron means I have to pay thousands of dollars to have both replaced.

Having read the parma codified ordinances, by the letter of the law, I am likely in violation of a couple vague sections, namely:

"(e) All driveway aprons shall be kept in a proper state of repair, free of holes, surface deterioration or cracks which cause sections to become loose or otherwise hazardous. All repairs or replacements of driveway aprons shall be of concrete."

But I am willing to argue that the surface deterioration and cracks in my driveway are not causing sections to become loose or otherwise hazardous.

Anyway, I have to pay $50 to contest the claim, and I want to go in with more ammunition than just pictures of my driveway, and arguments that I don't violate the code.

I'm thinking that pictures of other violations throughout the city that are going un-addressed would help my cause. Specifically, I want to photograph the driveways of Parma city officials, and show that THEY are not in compliance either.

Without an old-fashion phone book, what's the best way to get this inspector's home address? I'd like to snap some pics of the mayor's driveway, the city engineer, etc. I already have home addresses for about half of city counsel.

"otherwise hazardous"...1/2" raise means there is a 1/2" tripping hazard.... we run into this all the time...theres really nothing you can do, they will get you in court....even if its stupid, and even if you take in pictures of the judges own house, you probably wont get out of it

goodluck though, let us know how it turns out

im so so so so so so glad that i do, have always, and will always live in BFE a noone gives a flying fuck what my lawn or drivway looks like.:nono:

I hear ya!.

Our next and final move will be to a place that makes bfe look overpopulated.....lol ;)

im so so so so so so glad that i do, have always, and will always live in BFE a noone gives a flying fuck what my lawn or drivway looks like.:nono:

I'm house shopping right now, People think i'm crazy for looking at places so far away from work. I HAVE to live out in BFE. There is no way i could keep my sanity owning a house in a city. For reasons like this, and many others.

The city of Parma has informed me that the 1/2 inch raise in the sidewalk in front of my house, and the deterioration of my driveway apron means I have to pay thousands of dollars to have both replaced.

Having read the parma codified ordinances, by the letter of the law, I am likely in violation of a couple vague sections, namely:

"(e) All driveway aprons shall be kept in a proper state of repair, free of holes, surface deterioration or cracks which cause sections to become loose or otherwise hazardous. All repairs or replacements of driveway aprons shall be of concrete."

But I am willing to argue that the surface deterioration and cracks in my driveway are not causing sections to become loose or otherwise hazardous.

Anyway, I have to pay $50 to contest the claim, and I want to go in with more ammunition than just pictures of my driveway, and arguments that I don't violate the code.

I'm thinking that pictures of other violations throughout the city that are going un-addressed would help my cause. Specifically, I want to photograph the driveways of Parma city officials, and show that THEY are not in compliance either.

Without an old-fashion phone book, what's the best way to get this inspector's home address? I'd like to snap some pics of the mayor's driveway, the city engineer, etc. I already have home addresses for about half of city counsel.

http://fiscalofficer.cuyahogacounty.us/en-US/REPI.aspx

This is the web site for the Cuyahoga County Auditor. The link is to the property search page. If theirs works like Franklin Co., all you need to do is type in the name of the person you are looking for and a picture of their property will pop up along with all of the property information. All public information.

Good luck!

I heart living in BFE. I can do anything I want and answer to no one. I couldn't live in an area where others govern what MY property looks like. I've heard a lot of comments about having "farmer vision" tv etc. I'd rather have farmer vision tv over nosey, uppity neighbors and imposing govt officials. "Dont tread on me"

I heart living in BFE. I can do anything I want and answer to no one. I couldn't live in an area where others govern what MY property looks like. I've heard a lot of comments about having "farmer vision" tv etc. I'd rather have farmer vision tv over nosey, uppity neighbors and imposing govt officials. "Dont tread on me"

+++this+++^^^^^

+++100000

Yeah, the closest store is 20 miles away and I'm the next to last house on our electric grid so I have a generator but after living in Gahanna for 20 years and seeing the code Nazis' doing stupid crap like cut down every tree on a street to avoid sidewalk repair. Thank God I'm a mountain man living in BFE. Some day I'll make it back to the Adirondacks to live but till then this is home.

My town goes around and sends notice to people who have sidewalks in need of repair and you either hire someone to fix it yourself or they will send a contractor to do it for you and charge 4 times the amount

my buddy here in cincinnati got a letter from the city stating he has to pay a contractor to fix the sidewalk. he is not allowed to do it himself.:rolleyes:

he basically told them to fuck off and has never fixed it. that was 2 years ago.

Edited by serpentracer

my buddy here in cincinnati got a letter from the city stating he has to pay a contractor to fix the sidewalk. he is not allowed to do it himself.:rolleyes:

he basically told them to fuck off and has never fixed it. that was 2 years ago.

Later he was puled over for a speeding ticket and arrested for an outstanding bench warrant for unpaid fines and court fees on a friday night so he sat in jail all weekend. :rolleyes: The man has you coming and going. :cry:

he basically told them to fuck off and has never fixed it:bow:. that was 2 years ago.

They have an ordinance here that allows them to add it on your taxes if you refuse to fix it yourself and then if you don't pay there is a whole new batch of trouble. The sneaky bastards get you one way or another. Pick your battles with the man carefully.

tell Parma to fuck off. My Dad did this when the city, not his neighbors, were bitching at him to get it out of his driveway. He was renovating it at the time and had some choice words and didn't hear from them again.

Parma is the worst

+1 for BFE. I can sit on my back porch and shoot all day long and nobody cares. My driveway is gravel and there's no sidewalk to shovel.

The tradeoff is no DSL or digital cable. So OR is slow.

so many people think in 2012 everyone has high speed internet and all that. but I bet just as many don't because they can't than those who do.

where my dad lives they don't either and he's only about 30 min away from the city.

and my mom up till last summer was able to get dsl. dial up is all they offered with speeds up to 26k max. :eek:

oh and her dsl... 768k. $48 a month too. they came around back in nov and put in fiber optic lines. so supposedly when they get it all done she'll be able to get tv, phone and internet and it will be around 10mb.

and I live in the city of cincinnati and can't get the fiber optic stuff where I live. now tell me we're so advanced with technology and I'll laugh in your face.

Edited by serpentracer

so many people think in 2012 everyone has high speed internet and all that. but I bet just as many don't because they can't than those who do.

where my dad lives they don't either and he's only about 30 min away from the city.

and my mom up till last summer was able to get dsl. dial up is all they offered with speeds up to 26k max. :eek:

oh and her dsl... 768k. $48 a month too. they came around back in nov and put in fiber optic lines. so supposedly when they get it all done she'll be able to get tv, phone and internet and it will be around 10mb.

and I live in the city of cincinnati and can't get the fiber optic stuff where I live. now tell me we're so advanced with technology and I'll laugh in your face.

I can use dialup, satellite or wireless broadband. Tried all 3 and for now I'm on a 2 meg up/down wireless.