WTB: Full Supension Mtn Bike

Limitedslip7

I get my tax return back in a week so I've started looking for a decent used mountain bike. I've only ridden once at Alum Creek on a borrowed bike, but it was fun and a damn good workout. I've been told to just go ahead and get a full-suspension if I can find a good deal. I'm 5'10" so I guess I need something like a 17.5 frame. Looking to spend at most $1k on a good all-purpose trail bike.

Let me know what you've got

$1000 "should" buy a nice DS bike, when I got my X6 in the late 90's it wasnt much more than that brand new - 26" 27spd, XL frame, RockShox, thumbed Shimano derailers, and Magura hydraulic disc brakes front and rear.....so check CL or even ebay locally to where you can check/ride it before committing - should'nt need to spend that much for a good bike, even low end DBR series bikes are within that price

Cruise Craigslist for western cities.

Portland, Seattle, Denver, SLC,.....There are alot of nice rigs out there for around $1k, especially in your size.

Biggest challenge is finding one that fits and fits the type of riding you want to do. Geometry seems to vary quite a bit more on the FS rigs vs the hardtails.

I love my Rocky Mountain Element but it is overkill for the trails I have found in/around Dayton. As such, I am looking to go back to a hardtail.

Here is one for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Rocky-Mountain-Element-Sport-18-/290660311458?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item43acb461a2

Cruise Craigslist for western cities.

Portland, Seattle, Denver, SLC,.....There are alot of nice rigs out there for around $1k, especially in your size.

Biggest challenge is finding one that fits and fits the type of riding you want to do. Geometry seems to vary quite a bit more on the FS rigs vs the hardtails.

I love my Rocky Mountain Element but it is overkill for the trails I have found in/around Dayton. As such, I am looking to go back to a hardtail.

Here is one for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Rocky-Mountain-Element-Sport-18-/290660311458?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item43acb461a2

What would it run to ship a bike?

What would it run to ship a bike?

not too much.

Last time I did it, I took my bike to the bike shop and they packed and shipped for around $50. It was easy for them as they had all the bike boxes. Now, that was a while ago so maybe $100 today. Bikes are not that heavy, just bigger boxes.

Pull the pedals, loosen/spin the bars and take off the wheels. Pretty easy to set up once it arrives.

Ugh, just a bit too big:

http://bend.craigslist.org/bik/2847872850.html

Edited by Revelstoker

• 2 weeks later...
if you are still looking, I just seen this posted over on the omba forums

http://www.joinomba.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20155

Was actually going to post the same exact link!!

Pretty decent component group.

Personally, I would suggest doing what Adam did and go to the local shop and see what they have for left overs or demo bikes. There are just too many good left over deals out there.

Focus on Trek, Fisher or Specialized for DS bikes in that price range. All are Taiwan made, but typically some of the better frame sets. The components are what separate the price levels. For example, the link is for a bike with LX components which are perfectly fine, but a bike with XT components will have the same frame, but better components...

Anyways, any questions, give me a hollar!

Thanks for the link but I just purchased a 18.5" 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8 yesterday. Should be here in a week!

Great bike, man. What color did you end up getting? Good price also? New or used?

You'll really enjoy that rear suspension they have. It is really great on braking downhill over bumpy terrain.

You are in Marion so, if you ever head to Alum Creek, shoot me a PM and I can meet you. I'm in Galion.

Great bike, man. What color did you end up getting? Good price also? New or used?

You'll really enjoy that rear suspension they have. It is really great on braking downhill over bumpy terrain.

You are in Marion so, if you ever head to Alum Creek, shoot me a PM and I can meet you. I'm in Galion.

It's the matte grey on black scheme and used, but in excellent condition. I will be going to Alum Creek regularly I hope. There are a couple of guys I know that ride it just about every weekend. I'll hit you up next time I plan on heading down there.