honda motorcycles, leaving ohio

Benyen Soljax

I've heard rumors they are restructuring here in preparation for their new hybrid and hydrogen cars.

yeah i mean a lot of people see this as an indicator of doomsday for the american economy, when in actuality its just a restructuring of the growing american auto market for foreign cars, as well as reorganization for the growing motorcycle market.

• 3 weeks later...

The word I got on the layoff's was around 450 jobs lost. Man that is going to really put people in the shitter. the reason they are shutting down the motorcyle's here is the automated section is out of date and the expense to rufurbish it would to costly. So they have built a new huge automated plant in Japan that will be taking on the the marysville output along with another outdated plant in Japan.

Gysgt.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear that. We have enough people out there losing their houses because their company closed down here just to open in another country to make more profit. It seems like OPEC isn't satisfied with their unbelievable profits, so a barrel of crude goes up and gas prices sky rocket up even more. Dam the new Harley's with their 56 to 58 miles per gallon are looking good. especially when I consider the fact that my bike gets around 35 miles per gallon.

I'm glad to hear that. We have enough people out there losing their houses because their company closed down here just to open in another country to make more profit. It seems like OPEC isn't satisfied with their unbelievable profits, so a barrel of crude goes up and gas prices sky rocket up even more. Dam the new Harley's with their 56 to 58 miles per gallon are looking good. especially when I consider the fact that my bike gets around 35 miles per gallon.

are these some magical unicorn harleys or something? lets see some specs.

seriously? and what are you driving that only gets 35mpg? gotta be an air-cooled V twin? Abusing the piss out of my GSXR750 I still got 43mpg, over 50 if it was nice to it, usually on long trips, such as when I went to Columbus.

Dam the new Harley's with their 56 to 58 miles per gallon are looking good. especially when I consider the fact that my bike gets around 35 miles per gallon.

That includes pushing it when it breaks down. Gas mileage really goes up when you ride 5 miles and push 20 cuz you don't want to leave the worlds biggest shiny fishing lure on the side of the road.

You living in the past? When was the last time you rode a Harley? I admit I felt the same way you do until they came out with the twin cam 88 engine. It is extremly smooth and so is the 96 cubic inch they punched out of the twin cam 88 and paired it up with a six speed tranny for most of their models this year. In other words no more shake & bake going down the road at speeds over 65. Before you ask (in case you didn't look at my bike) I don't own a Harley right now. My bike is a VN2000A1 Vulcan and I love the big mother.

You living in the past? When was the last time you rode a Harley?

last summer, an '06 FJAXWQULERGGHYQZ Electra-glide, $20k+ bike. Shook like a paint shaker at low RPMs, with rubber mounts. Twin cam engine. once you got it up to speed it smoothed out, but was a bear to maneuver, and heavy ass sum' beech too, My 'busa now, and then my GSXR 750 were/are SOLID mount I4's that use the engine as part of the frame, and they're smooth as silk at all speeds. Not to mention the seating position is scary as fuck, I felt like I was sitting in a recliner, no way to drive a motorcycle. Sportbikes are ergonomic and what a bike should feel like, you feel like your in control, your involved in the bike, not sitting on it hoping to stay along for the ride, not to mention I've got problems with some discs in my neck, and after a few miles sitting straight up and down bouncing on my spine, I was in serious pain. Sport bikes put your weight on your feet where it should be, or if it's long ass rides, you can lay on the tank.

I admit I felt the same way you do until they came out with the twin cam 88 engine. It is extremly smooth and so is the 96 cubic inch they punched out of the twin cam 88 and paired it up with a six speed tranny for most of their models this year.

Typical Harley, only 20 or so years behind the Jap bikes, I still don't understand the point of the Twin cam. Its not like they eliminated anything, hell all they did was add another cam, second cam gear/sprocket, extra timing chain, and double the rotating mass of the valve train. it's not like they went with DOHC or 4 valves per cylinder, they added another cam, and shortened the pushrods, whooptie.

In other words no more shake & bake going down the road at speeds over 65. Before you ask (in case you didn't look at my bike) I don't own a Harley right now. My bike is a VN2000A1 Vulcan and I love the big mother.

awesome, I'm glad you like it, I just don't see how someone can aspire to spend 2x the money on half the bike. HD should have been out of biz years ago, but T-shirt sales are still going strong :rolleyes:

I have ridden a couple Harleys, both Dyna Wide Glides FXDWG, (2007 and a 1997) and I actually liked them both. I thought they were comfortable to ride. BUT if I wanted performance and something fun to ride, I will stick to my R6!

Dads '07

l_e794e0078241c95b74a2aff6170d1691.jpg

My uncles Harley

dsc04745eb7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
r6allstar I saw a replica of your bike going down the road a couple days ago, and all I could say was "Damn that's nice". I really like the look.

hmm never seen a replica... you sure that is what it was? maybe an older model or something that someone wanted to make a replica. anyway, thanks. I love the look as well. that and you dont see a ton of them around.