English?

Scruit

While leading the warmup at the kid's Karate class tonight I was having each kid count to ten out loud in Japanese as we did each exercise. "Ich, Ni, San, Shi, Go..." etc.

When I got to the white belts I starting asking; "Can you count in Japanese?" One student (about 7yo) said; "No." I said; "That's ok, please count to ten in English."

After a few seconds of confusion he said "I don't know ...English."

Me: "Yes you do!"

Him: "No I don't"

Me: "You're speaking English!"

Him: "But, I don't know how to..."

Me: "Can you count 'One', 'Two', 'Three' up to 'Ten'?"

Him: "Sure"

Me: "Just do that then instead." :rolleyes:

While leading the warmup at the kid's Karate class tonight I was having each kid count to ten out loud in Japanese as we did each exercise. "Ich, Ni, San, Shi, Go..." etc.

When I got to the white belts I starting asking; "Can you count in Japanese?" One student (about 7yo) said; "No." I said; "That's ok, please count to ten in English."

After a few seconds of confusion he said "I don't know ...English."

Me: "Yes you do!"

Him: "No I don't"

Me: "You're speaking English!"

Him: "But, I don't know how to..."

Me: "Can you count 'One', 'Two', 'Three' up to 'Ten'?"

Him: "Sure"

Me: "Just do that then instead." :rolleyes:

When you talk I do feel like I'm looking at you funny trying really hard to grasp what you are saying :)

The funny thing is that people in England think I'm American when they hear me talk. People don't hear local accents - their brain just ignores it. They only pick out the unusual, the foreign. My accent in 70% English, 20% Scottish and 10% American. People in England pick up in the Scottish and American only. Americans only pick up on Scottish and English. The Scots hear the English and American.

My brother described it once as; "It sounds like you're putting on a bad fake American accent to impress the ladies."

Had one of our UK employes over here for a week and when we would take him to bars some women would get pissed and tell him he can stop the bad fake accent. He would just laugh an show em his ID which was also a problem with some places thinking it was a fake :lol:

Had one of our UK employes over here for a week and when we would take him to bars some women would get pissed and tell him he can stop the bad fake accent. He would just laugh an show em his ID which was also a problem with some places thinking it was a fake :lol:

They are supposed to have a book of all the different license from all fifty stated and many different countries. At least we do....I have been bored enough to study it on Saturday mornings.

The funny thing is that people in England think I'm American when they hear me talk. People don't hear local accents - their brain just ignores it. They only pick out the unusual, the foreign. My accent in 70% English, 20% Scottish and 10% American. People in England pick up in the Scottish and American only. Americans only pick up on Scottish and English. The Scots hear the English and American.

My brother described it once as; "It sounds like you're putting on a bad fake American accent to impress the ladies."

If American accents impress the ladies, why did Bond pull so much wool?

If American accents impress the ladies, why did Bond pull so much wool?

It's about being foreign.

Many American girls go to jelly over a British accent. The same proportion of British girls react the same way to American accents.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. :cool:

well there is a reason some things ask you your language and american english and European english is 2 options.

give the kid a break. he's 7 for christ sake. now if he was 10....

Chill out. You don't know me and have never spoken to me so have no basis to comment on how clearly I speak. My accent is mild enough that Americans have little trouble understanding it. Ask someone who has spoken with me. Kawi, c-bus, MT etc. They make joke about it, but they never had to ask me to repeat myself.

The confusion he has was not that he couldn't understand me, but that he didn't know the name of the language he speaks.

Chill out. You don't know me and have never spoken to me so have no basis to comment on how clearly I speak. My accent is mild enough that Americans have little trouble understanding it. Ask someone who has spoken with me. Kawi, c-bus, MT etc. They make joke about it, but they never had to ask me to repeat myself.

The confusion he has was not that he couldn't understand me, but that he didn't know the name of the language he speaks.

wow you took my post the wrong way lol. but...he's fucking 7. SEVEN. kid just started learning to frigging read.

wow you took my post the wrong way lol. but...he's fucking 7. SEVEN. kid just started learning to frigging read.

Do you have kids? If they only start to read at age 7 then you're doing something wrong. ;) My boy started reading at 4... :confused: