Open carry event (maybe)

Tonik

I slept all day so I am a little behind. My replies are in bold. Hope I am awake enough....

Concealed carry is implemented for those that are concerned with personal protection. Carrying your weapon CONCEALED means that no one knows you have a gun. When you open carry, you are making yourself a target. In the least you are walking around with a valuable item hanging from your hip for all the world to see. In reality its not just a valuable, its a weapon that someone could easily snatch from you and easily use in a violent crime - on you. An untrained person carrying a weapon on their hip is just inviting trouble, its not a shield.

When I OC, I use a serpa retention holster. My stance gives me positive control of my sidearm. I have trained for weapon retention. Also, do you think someone will attempt to rob me or the guy that doesn't present a threat? I have buddies who have been in situations where OC'ing has stopped an incident.

And lets get real, don't even try to draw a similarity between civilians who open carry and LEOs. Do you use a 3-way retention holster when you open carry that is physically attached to your belt? Are you trained on methods for physically removing a weapon from an armed assailant? Do you have a taser, pepper spray, and a baton on you as well to serve as backup weapons? Do you also carry a radio to report your activities to a dispatcher and request backup or medical assistance if needed? Are you wearing a vest under your shirt? And most importantly, no uniform, no badge, you're just some guy walking around with a gun on his belt and no one knows what your intent is, which is where the inciting panic charges come in.

You cannot be charged with inducing panic while doing something LEGAL.2917.31 Inducing panic.

(A) No person shall cause the evacuation of any public place, or otherwise cause serious public inconvenience or alarm, by doing any of the following:

(1) Initiating or circulating a report or warning of an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime, or other catastrophe, knowing that such report or warning is false;

(2) Threatening to commit any offense of violence;

(3) Committing any offense, with reckless disregard of the likelihood that its commission will cause serious public inconvenience or alarm.

Private property owners have a right to post no weapons allowed, including businesses - deal with it. If I don't want someone walking into my house or business with a gun I have a right to refuse them entry. And if they keep coming anyway, professing their 2nd ammendment rights, they are going to get shot. At some point someone trying to make a political statement regarding Open carry into these establishments is going to get killed, and then we are in a whole 'nother world of shit. Keep it up and there will be a law banning open carry.

Wait...if someone keeps coming by promoting 2A rights, you're going to shoot them?? Actually, people OC'ing has had the opposite effect and has opened up more people and businesses to the idea. Find out how people that want to sway people and businesses do, they don't just walk into a place that has no gun signs posted and say hey look at me.

If you want to make a political statement for these establishment do it in a way that matters, stop doing business with those places. Otherwise, next time you want to protest McDonald's or whoever, walk in with a sword on your belt instead of a gun.

I don't go to places that don't allow guns. Walking in with a sword is probably illegal although I am not searching for the ORC right now.

Fuck you very much, and just because we don't agree doesn't make me dumb or ignorant. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Again, openly carrying a gun is not a shield. You're telling me that someone can't walk up behind you and take that gun? By carrying it openly you are making yourself a target to some criminals that think they are a bigger bad ass than you.

Who will you try to rob? Me with a gun in plain sight or someone that presents an easy target? Could I be the first target? Yes. Could I easily turn someone away who doesn't want to be shot for the money in my wallet? Yes.

By the way, none of your arguments make open carry a better option than concealed carry.

And I'm not an easy unarmed target, but if I'm carrying you won't know it.

So only clean people can open carry? So how's that going to work, and who decides who's clean? Where does it end, should only white people be allowed to open carry? :rolleyes:

How many bad guys do you see OC then walk into a restaraunt to rob it? They don't want to draw attention to themselves, they want to surprise.

Open carry such as is described by the OP ignores the fact that people that don't have guns and don't like guns also have a right to not want them on their establishments.

The fantasy land is you guys thinking if you're openly displaying a gun on your belt in public that you are immune to violent crimes committed against you. NO ONE has said if you are OC'ing you are immune to crimes.I'm saying that such assumptions are false, and you should consider whether or not you are making yourself an opportunity. I'm saying you have probably never OC'ed and therefore believe what the media tells you or what you think should happen. What makes you think that the criminals that might want your openly displayed gun don't have guns already? I don't want to take the chance of getting shot just because someone wants to steal my gun. When the gun is concealed, I don't have to worry about.

I got lots of gun, I carried CONCEALED all the time. I believe that people should be allowed to own and carry guns. But the only time anyone should see my personal protection weapon is if I feel that my life or the life of someone else is being threatened and there is no opportunity to flee the scene.

And that's your personal choice, a fine choice.

At Kiggy: Just gonna chime in for a second at work so I can't really reply to this one.

So if I were to open carry and wearing a wife beater keep in mind that I'm black.

You're black? :confused:

What makes you think that any criminal trying to take your gun is going to do any of the following?:

1. Come at you from where you can see them.

Situational awareness and proper stance/technique.

2. Make you aware that they want your gun before they try to take it.

Learn to read people's body language

3. Not just shoot you first so they can pull their new gun from your dead body while you lay motionless on the ground.

They could, but most all instances I have read, heard first hand or witnessed prove otherwise. Most bad guys don't want to risk dying over some money, they want it easy

This isn't the wild west, this is the real world. I think you need to open your mind a little to the different scenarios in which this attack would occur.

And you need to open your mind to OC. If you don't like doing it, that's fine and dandy. But your dead set on what you think will happen but you really don't know.

When you are concealed, you have options. When you are open, all your cards are already on the table and you'd better be ready.

Open carry serves the purpose of letting everyone around know you are armed. IMO this doesn't mean that you are secure.

and IMO just because you are concealed doesn't mean you're secure either. Carrying a gun isn't some magic shield

Concealed carry allows you to remain inconspicuously armed and prepared, but also leaves you options as to if and how you are going to engage a threat in a critical threat.

It's clear that the big supporters of open carry here are just running their mouth. If they actually did what they said they'd be all over the news like those morons in Beavercreek in the video linked above.

Check the OC pic thread, I posted a pic in there. Am I just running my mouth??

I'm a bit late just now on break again.

So if I open carry by myself I can guarantee that I'll have the cops called even if im not doing anything . With the current stereotypes out I'm screwed if I OC just sayin if you get that one person who feels threatned by me having a gun out in the open.

I'm a bit late just now on break again.

So if I open carry by myself I can guarantee that I'll have the cops called even if im not doing anything . With the current stereotypes out I'm screwed if I OC just sayin if you get that one person who feels threatned by me having a gun out in the open.

You may get the cops called on you. But, dispatch should ask caller what you are doing. "Oh, they are just buying groceries? Are they threatening you? No? Well OC is legal in Ohio. I can send an officer if you'd like to but unless they are doing something illegal we cannot do anything."

If you OC, not directed at you Jst2Slo, you should be aware of the law and your rights.

hey Tonik there was a pic of you guys in the park all open carrying you got it to post up for this asshat?

Here is the video from TV, its crappy...dude pointed his cell phone at the TV to get it. But he gets major points for being the only one of us to get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghd6vAKyYpY

And does anyone that is arguing against open carry even know why we are allowed to CC in Ohio? It is because of 'morons' marching up and down the streets years ago protesting the lack of CC by open carrying. That's right, CC exists because Taft and the State legislature were tired seeing them on the news 24/7. They wanted them to go away and hide their guns because they think guns are bad. You young folks really need to learn your history, and respect what your elders have given you.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Defense-Walks-Make-History-in-Ohio

And does anyone that is arguing against open carry even know why we are allowed to CC in Ohio? It is because of 'morons' marching up and down the streets years ago protesting the lack of CC by open carrying. That's right, CC exists because Taft and the State legislature were tired seeing them on the news 24/7. They wanted them to go away and hide their guns because they think guns are bad. You young folks really need to learn your history, and respect what your elders have given you.

I didn't know that, thank you for the education.

My reply with Orc quoted earlier wasn't against OC, it was against the idea of OC inside this particular McDonalds that has a no CC sign posted, but hey its your defense fund, i dunno?

(the public sidewalk near it however, im all for!)

Real men ride twins

OR.... How about this, somebody draft up a letter stating that "said establishment" will no longer recieve our business..... make it a sticky, then we could simply change the name of establishment, add our own personal info and mail it to them. I'm sure getting bombarded with letters like that would make them rethink it, and I would be willing to take two minutes to fill it out, print it and mail it.

Lol am I one of these Internet tough guys? I really need to know.

No because you said you don't really open carry. DUH keep up. What are you a little slow?

Tuck your shirt and you get to be a tough Guy. Oh and buy a real gun. :lol:

lol. I could care less.

I'm simply calling out some internet tough guys on their lies. None of these guys open carry like they say they do.

I am guessing you missed the video of me on the TV news that is in this tread. I am easy to spot, solid blue Tail of the Dragon T-Shirt and I look amazing like I do in the picture that is my avatar.