CCW permit holder gets worse punishment..

hollywood3586

http://fox8.com/2012/02/23/petty-theft-becomes-felony-robbery-for-ccw-holder/

This confuses me. I by no means promote what this douche bag did, but why did he get in worse trouble for telling the cops he was carrying? Isn't that what we are supposed to do? He didn't use it in the robbery. So what gives?

Petty Theft Becomes Felony Robbery for CCW Permit*Holder

3:04 pm, February 23, 2012, by Dan Jovic

Mentor Police arrested a man on Wednesday for stealing several items from a department store, but a gun the man was legally carrying will lead to a significantly more serious charge.

According to Lt. Tim Allen with the Mentor Police Department, Robert E. Young II, 22, of Cleveland, was arrested on a felony robbery charge at the Macy’s Department Store in Mentor after he allegedly took two pairs of earrings and left the store without paying.

Young II was detained by a loss and prevention officer at the store and according to Allen admitted to taking the items.

Allen says that Young II then told the officer that he was legally carrying a loaded Smith & Wesson .40 cal. handgun.

A search of Young II showed that he did have a CCW permit for the weapon.

As a result of Young II carrying the weapon at the time of the robbery, he has been charged with a felony robbery count, which according to Allen carries a maximum sentence of eight years in prison and a $15,000 fine.

Allen says that had Young II not been carrying the weapon, he would most likely have faced a charge of petty theft. Which Allen says carries a maximum sentence of 30-days in jail.

Young II was arraigned on the felony robbery charge in Lake County Municipal Court on Thursday.

He remains housed at the Lake County jail on a $50,000 bond.

E-mail news tips to dan.jovic@fox8.com

Edited by hollywood3586

First of all he deserves what he got.

But if I read it correctly he was an idiot for notifying a loss prevention officer in the first place had he kept his mouth shut (which is still illegal once the real cops arrived) but he might have got cited with petty theft and released.

Idk, I just don't get what they say by, "had he not had the gun it would have been pety theft." I don't see how him possessing a gun and not using it is a felony. I didn't know that. Not that I'm going to try and rob a store anytime soon. :D but if I do I'll remember to leave my gun in the car.

Idk, I just don't get what they say by, "had he not had the gun it would have been pety theft." I don't see how him possessing a gun and not using it is a felony. I didn't know that. Not that I'm going to try and rob a store anytime soon. :D but if I do I'll remember to leave my gun in the car.

Because he has the ability to cause great bodily harm.

Not bad, just desperate for attention.

FYI I don't open carry for attention, I prefer to be paid mo attention. I open carry because it is legal for me to do so. Just as you come in here and show your ignorance and shallow mind. Or are you doing that because you are an attention whore? Or because you wish to abuse the 1st amendment? :dunno:

Idk, I just don't get what they say by, "had he not had the gun it would have been pety theft." I don't see how him possessing a gun and not using it is a felony.

because use doesnt matter. just having it makes it a felony.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911.01

(A) No person, in attempting or committing a theft offense ... shall do any of the following:

(1) Have a deadly weapon on or about the offender’s person or under the offender’s control and either display the weapon, brandish it, indicate that the offender possesses it, or use it;

© Whoever violates this section is guilty of aggravated robbery, a felony of the first degree.