Why are flip-down visors becoming a fad?

RSparky

I had one on my scorpion exo-1000, and and it was completely a nuisance. Too transparent to help, distorted my vision, and usually whenever I pulled it down it would slide a little out of the little friction clamp that held it.

:rant:

Anywho, I have seen like 8 ads for them while reading my free motorcyclist magazine. Anybody have one and like it?

I have a Caberg with one and both of my snowmobile helmets (Nolan) have them. Would never buy a helmet without. I have no issues with distorted vision and all offer plenty of tint. The Caberg is actually mirrored. Could be a brand issues?

Edited by cmh_sprint

I've had my exo-1000 for 2 years now and love it. The flip down tinted visor leaves the bottom of my field of vision "un-tinted". At first this bugged me until I realized that it lets me see the all lcd dash (and the phone/gps/etc mounted in the fairing) on my bike better .

Bell addresses this issue with the shield they have that transitions...

That being said, is it really a fad if not many people use them? Meaning, I know maybe 1-2 guys wearing this type of helmet. I know a LOT of snowmobilers wearing a similar idea, but they need something like this and it is more Air Force Pilot styled and works much better.

I wouldn't call it a fad. I would call it a gimmick more than anything...

I have the HJC IS-16 with the integrated tinted visor. I love it! I bought it the day after getting stuck out somewhere with the tinted visor on, and having limited visibility on the ride home as it was getting dark.

I have tried sunglasses in behind the visor before, and that didn't work out very well for me, and decided that I didn't want to get caught out with the tinted visor as my only option again, and I don't have a trunk to put any junk in.

The only complaint I have with the tinted shield on helmet is the lack of anti-fog coating on it.

I think its a good idea, if it works properly......and seems better/easier than trying to shove sunglasses onto your face inside the helmet. Never had a helmet with one, but would be a nice option on hot days to legally be able to lift your shield and drop the inside visor to help cool you in heavy traffic

Are we talking the visors that cover half the shield on the outside or the ones that are behind the shield? I like the idea of the ones behind the shield. I have a hard time wearing sunglasses and don't like having multiple shields with me.

I've always been curious how well those work. I like the idea but since getting the VFR I always have my tailbag and bring the the clear visor if I'm gonna get stuck at night. For the rare instances I get stuck out after dark completely unplanned, I have clear safety glasses from work I throw on and just leave my dark visor up

Are we talking the visors that cover half the shield on the outside or the ones that are behind the shield? I like the idea of the ones behind the shield. I have a hard time wearing sunglasses and don't like having multiple shields with me.

Mine is inside helmet

They are awesome, I am on my second helmet with one. First an HJC and the second on a Scorpion. My eyes are very sensitive to light, so being able to flip back and forth while rolling down the road is full of win. At the show I saw a new visor that does the transition thing except it transitions in a heartbeat. Pretty pricey if I recall correctly about 150 for the visor, made by that incubator for technology that Kent State has.

http://www.nortech.org/flexmatters/flexmatters-regional-impact/flex-success-stories/alpha-micron

Edited by Tonik

I like the visor that comes down on the inside but I only seem them on the modular helmets, not the standard full face.

The EXO 1000 that the OP mentions is a standard full face. They must be pretty new, first one I have seen that wasn't modular.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/19576/ITEM/Scorpion-EXO-1000-RPM-Helmet.aspx

Are you kidding me? My EXO-1000 flip down visor is the best thing since sliced bread, here is why. Those of you with 20/20 vision may not understand as well as those of us who wear glasses.

First, since I do wear glasses it is nice not to have to fumble with a clip on device to shield my eyes. Second, it is fast to use. When riding under a canopy of trees and you pop out into direct sunlight (the Dragon) it is quick to use. Faster than transitions, sunglasses or changing visors. Third, way better than carrying an extra shield.

Transitions? Great idea but the transition is S-L-O-W! It takes "transition". No good if your ride takes you through a long tunnel.

The EXO 1000 that the OP mentions is a standard full face. They must be pretty new, first one I have seen that wasn't modular.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/19576/ITEM/Scorpion-EXO-1000-RPM-Helmet.aspx

I've been riding with the EXO-1000 for about 4 years.

I am looking at new lids. I saw a few with the visor on the outside. That doesn't appeal to me. I like the visor that comes down on the inside but I only seem them on the modular helmets, not the standard full face.

my shark is s900 and it's full face not modular with internal flip down sun visor