Got an email from the FBI today...

Casper

Besides jblosser, and without looking it up, who here knows why 2600 is called 2600?

2600Hz is the Bluebox / Phone Phreaking frequency to fake out an analog long-distance line to go on-hook at the telco and drop you out to a trunk line. This was back in the good old days where the police weren't with it enough to arrest you for hacking.

This is Mitnick-era stuff.

I thought the blue box held the line at 90V after you answered so that the PBX thought the phone was "ringing" the whole time, so no bill... Or was that black? Either way, yes, 2600Hz used to tie you to an analog trunk and disconnect the far side leaving you with the ability to dial at will...

You can also ground to pay phone chassis the center pin on the mic. The dude in war games did it wrong. You have to hold the ground on while dialing... lol

Edited by chrisknight

Your on my list now too!!!!! Grrrr :mad: Exchange is my bread and butter.

You may read my email, but I route your data and sniff your packets. Go away before I put a loop on your switchport and you have nobody to bitch at but yourself.

:D

Edited by Cheech

2600Hz is the Bluebox / Phone Phreaking frequency to fake out an analog long-distance line to go on-hook at the telco and drop you out to a trunk line. This was back in the good old days where the police weren't with it enough to arrest you for hacking.

This is Mitnick-era stuff.

I saw Mitnick last week out at RSA and got a free signed copy of his book. I hadnt seen him since everyone was drinking at the Markers Mark bar down at DerbyCon. :) Ahhh DerbyCon.. Good times...

Edited by flounder

You may read my email, but I route your data and sniff your packets. Go away before I put a loop on your switchport and you have nobody to bitch at but yourself.

:D

You like to sniff people's packages? What? ;)

You like to sniff people's packages? What? ;)

Yes I will sniff your package but only after I tap you..

Get it? :)

My quick and dirty little kit I have for just that.

Good for discretely taping a system and sending the info home.

Throwing star Lan tap

http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/throwing-star-lan-tap

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzER5BHeNj_mbVeQTIoLk1RJI00jrNjDnQsxgED9v9A30eRvF-8g

PWNPLUG Elite

http://pwnieexpress.com/eliteplug.html

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0vBh_cZZSevSUjKXKChP6zY70reXiQjMTqOOxajs8c2VV8F-b

Edited by flounder

Since when does the FBI send out a notice of being arrested? They mean serious business yo. :lol:

Funny that... I had a neighbor on campus from Pennsylvania wanted for fleeing across a state line. Two FBI showed up and left their calling cards with his girlfriend. He wasn't home. They said just have him give us a call. He did.

I was so sad when my Captain Crunch whistle went through the washer and dryer and melted...

I saw Mitnick last week out at RSA and got a free signed copy of his book. I hadnt seen him since everyone was drinking at the Markers Mark bar down at DerbyCon. :) Ahhh DerbyCon.. Good times...

Can he use a computer yet?

I remember reading years ago that he wasn't even permitted to touch a computer, yet he could give "security" seminars.

Free-Kevin-Mitnick.jpg

Can he use a computer yet?

I remember reading years ago that he wasn't even permitted to touch a computer, yet he could give "security" seminars.

Free-Kevin-Mitnick.jpg

I think that his probationary period is over.

Throwing star Lan tap

PWNPLUG Elite

I've got to get me that LAN tap and throw it in my pack.

Throwing star Lan tap

PWNPLUG Elite

How is the LAN tap different/better than a port mirror? I can see portability and no need to log into the switch though. You're still on an isolated collision domain plugged into one port, right? This thing doesn't somehow monitor all ports? It couldn't. *Might be confused on its purpose.*

How is the LAN tap different/better than a port mirror? I can see portability and no need to log into the switch though. You're still on an isolated collision domain plugged into one port, right? This thing doesn't somehow monitor all ports? It couldn't. *Might be confused on its purpose.*

It will only monitor that wire.

It will only monitor that wire.

Gotcha... I can see that now that I'm awake... lol

On a related topic, today I learned that even if all of your corp. switches all have spanning tree protocol enabled, some asshole will bring in an old 5 port POS switch that doesn't, put it under his desk, attempt to plug in a WAP and with one patch cable, plug into port 2, and with the other end of the same cable, loop around the desk and plug into port 5... Whammo, broadcast storm! Spanning tree only shuts down loops as it detects them, and no loops on the other corp. switches so, if you have a broadcast storm on a switch and uplink it to the corp. network, the uplink re-transmits the broadcasts to the corp. switches properly, as it should, unaware of the storm. This even took out another building connected to this network via 2 media converters and fiber. No router to isolate b-cast domains.

1 DHCP broadcast is all it takes. Damn it!!!

Gotcha... I can see that now that I'm awake... lol

On a related topic, today I learned that even if all of your corp. switches all have spanning tree protocol enabled, some asshole will bring in an old 5 port POS switch that doesn't, put it under his desk, attempt to plug in a WAP and with one patch cable, plug into port 2, and with the other end of the same cable, loop around the desk and plug into port 5... Whammo, broadcast storm! Spanning tree only shuts down loops as it detects them, and no loops on the other corp. switches so, if you have a broadcast storm on a switch and uplink it to the corp. network, the uplink re-transmits the broadcasts to the corp. switches properly, as it should, unaware of the storm. This even took out another building connected to this network via 2 media converters and fiber. No router to isolate b-cast domains.

1 DHCP broadcast is all it takes. Damn it!!!

If you've got a Cisco switch, give spanning-tree bpduguard a try. Enable spanning-tree portfast on all your access switchports, then plug in a Linksys switch. Loop the Linksys. Once the Cisco sees its own BPDU's come back at it, it puts the switchport in a error-disable state and drops that motherfucker. Also works for regular loops to the same switch. I'd highly recommend having some sort of SNMP monitor running on that tells you if the port popped, otherwise you'll be doing a lot of sh int status mod x to figure out what ports are in what state when things magically "stop working". I had no idea about bpduguard before I came to Nationwide, now I'm kicking myself of all the time it would have saved me in previous gigs.